Ian Allan - Cardiff. Closing in February

JZ

• RMweb Premium

Lord and Butler have quite a selection of second-hand railway books.

Indeed, and it's always worth a browse, but not quite the same as the selection of new books Ian Allen has/had.

There are sometimes some very keenly priced second hand railway books in the pumping station next door to Lord and Butler.

• RMweb Gold

All stock is half price......However, seems that nearly all of the model railway rolling was removed prior to the sale. Just a few wagons left now. Quite a few books left but again a lot of stock has been removed prior to the sale starting this morning.

Came away with more books than I have bought in the last year though...

Felt sorry for the staff who appeared very disheartened.

Very reminiscent of the closure of a much loved branch line....

Rob

• RMweb Premium

All stock is half price......However, seems that nearly all of the model railway rolling was removed prior to the sale. Just a few wagons left now. Quite a few books left but again a lot of stock has been removed prior to the sale starting this morning.

Came away with more books than I have bought in the last year though...

Felt sorry for the staff who appeared very disheartened.

Very reminiscent of the closure of a much loved branch line....

Rob

As of lunchtime today, there were still a fair amount of model railway accessories, plus (plain) track (didn't see any points). Everything half marked price.

Lots of people clutching their loyalty cards, which they seem to be still accepting, and some people with rather full baskets.

It's all rather sad. Staff were saying that Ian Allen couldn't find anywhere in the city centre to move the shop to that the rent was affordable, and that Cardiff is more expensive than Birmingham and Manchester.

I don't know who gains by raising the rent to the point where nobody can afford to pay it is, unless there are plans to knock the arcades down and built flats on them. (I'd like to think that wouldn't get planning permission)

Much as I enjoy getting a bargain, I'd much rather the shop was staying and not having a closing down sale, and of course what is largely an annoyance to most of us is rather more serious for the staff.

• RMweb Gold

I don't know who gains by raising the rent to the point where nobody can afford to pay it is, unless there are plans to knock the arcades down and built flats on them. (I'd like to think that wouldn't get planning permission)

Much as I enjoy getting a bargain, I'd much rather the shop was staying and not having a closing down sale, and of course what is largely an annoyance to most of us is rather more serious for the staff.

Very true. In fact I'm debating whether to go in at all, as I'd rather remember the shop as it was, rather than redeem whatever's left on my loyalty card.

If I'm remembering rightly, what is now Ian Allan was once the top entrance of Lears, the other being on St Mary street. I was very sorry when Lears went but at least Ian Allan was also a bookshop, among many other things. I always found the staff pleasant, as well.

If I'm remembering rightly, what is now Ian Allan was once the top entrance of Lears, the other being on St Mary street. I was very sorry when Lears went but at least Ian Allan was also a bookshop, among many other things. I always found the staff pleasant, as well.

Barry,

I remember the Manageress working in Lears!

Yes, it's a real pity that it's closing. My pitifully small railway library has mainly been bought in IA as a result of casual browsing; I will go and have a final look later in the week.

This leaves Cardiff City Centre with only one bookshop excluding the University Bookshop (assuming that's still there). Ten years ago there were at least three!

Dave

• RMweb Gold

I intend to go in tomorrow, hopefully, something might be left!!

I'm very sad to see it go - made regular visits in recent years.

IMHO, the range of books was quite superb and the prices of loco's very competitive.

Really like the arcades in Cardiff, full of independents, how long will this continue? The second hand book shop around the corner closed a few months ago, I believe for the same reason.

Cheers,

Aidan

• RMweb Premium

I intend to go in tomorrow, hopefully, something might be left!!

I'm very sad to see it go - made regular visits in recent years.

IMHO, the range of books was quite superb and the prices of loco's very competitive.

Really like the arcades in Cardiff, full of independents, how long will this continue? The second hand book shop around the corner closed a few months ago, I believe for the same reason.

Cheers,

Aidan

I wonder what else will go from the arcades as their leases run out? And what will replace them?

I still don't really understand how high street shops seem to be going under because:

1) Not enough people use them because they'd rather shop out of town or on the internet

2) Rents are very high because high streets are such desirable locations for people to go shopping

When all that's left are coffee shops, are people still going to bother going into town?

• RMweb Gold

Big queue at Wally's today when I left the IA shop not long after 13.10.

Model railway stock definitely removed - apparently the managers of other branches were invited in to take whatever they wished to their own branches.  But there is - subject to taste of course - a good selection of books still in stock and I left staggering under the weight of half a dozen South Wales oriented titles plus several other books.  The loss is all the more regrettable as the shop has always been good for Welsh inclined titles which never seem to appear elsewhere and that is going to be a serious loss.  Interesting too that the sale price extends across all publishers and even includes recent titles, one I bought (not about South Wales) was only published in November.

Assuming I can find my Middleton Press 'wants' list I will be back later in the weeek to seek out the Welsh titles I still need.

• RMweb Gold

Model railway stock definitely removed - apparently the managers of other branches were invited in to take whatever they wished to their own branches.  But there is - subject to taste of course - a good selection of books still in stock and I left staggering under the weight of half a dozen South Wales oriented titles plus several other books.  The loss is all the more regrettable as the shop has always been good for Welsh inclined titles which never seem to appear elsewhere and that is going to be a serious loss.  Interesting too that the sale price extends across all publishers and even includes recent titles, one I bought (not about South Wales) was only published in November.

Assuming I can find my Middleton Press 'wants' list I will be back later in the weeek to seek out the Welsh titles I still need.

We passed in the arcade. I'd just left with a purchase and was on my way back to work. It wasn't until you'd passed me that I noticed it was you. By then it was too late to acknowledge you.

• RMweb Gold

Fortunately i took my daughter in the pram so i had transport for my purchases .

I too might pop back in for a few more titles.. Also might raid the woodland scenics.

Rob.

Taking a new guard out for a route assessment on Thursday, may be able to get over in the afternoon.

As for high rents, you should see Bath. A couple of years ago we lost 'The Modellers Den', a shop I can remember visiting with my cousin before he left for Oz in 1961. Rent had been pushed up until it was uneconomic for the owner to stay in business. A chance conversation with a fellow modeller who work in the council offices told me that the reason for the sky high rents, was to attract the right sort of shops to Bath.

Taking a new guard out for a route assessment on Thursday, may be able to get over in the afternoon.

As for high rents, you should see Bath. A couple of years ago we lost 'The Modellers Den', a shop I can remember visiting with my cousin before he left for Oz in 1961. Rent had been pushed up until it was uneconomic for the owner to stay in business. A chance conversation with a fellow modeller who work in the council offices told me that the reason for the sky high rents, was to attract the right sort of shops to Bath.

So unlike Royston Vasey there will be no Local Shop......, for local people.........

When in Bath I used to try to look in there, as well as Whitemans Bookshop where I often picked up something, while Mrs Rivercider was elsewhere trying on shoes.

I am hoping to get across to Cardiff myelf tomorrow

cheers

When in Bath I used to try to look in there, as well as Whitemans Bookshop where I often picked up something, while Mrs Rivercider was elsewhere trying on shoes.

Ah, Whitemans. Another shop sadly gone.

• RMweb Gold

What about the Titfield Thunderbolt in Bath. Nice little shop and nice show in July.

Rob

• RMweb Premium

Shop now looking very bare. Not sure that there will be enough to last until February at this rate, though I think they are expecting some more Ian Allen titles to be shipped in at the end of the week.

Still some good stuff though - as of lunchtime there were two Gaugemaster combi's at £20 each (half RRP).

If only it had been this busy before the closing sale...

Picked up a load of Woodland Scenics trees as this is my least favourite job, may pick up a few more next week if I am over. Didn't have time to look at the books, or arms to carry them. Had a quick chat to those staff that are left to offer my commiserations and thanks for the service I have had from them these last 7 years. 

• RMweb Premium

Just been in a bought a lot of books and got charged £20 for them. Some only just out at over £20 each

In Wallys across the way enjoying their delights.

As of (almost) closing time today, there were still a fair few books left, and some model railway stuff (not much!)

Most stock still half the marked price, but there is a small table of Ian Allen books (just come in, I think) with much greater reductions. Presumably they are getting rid of some books they printed too many of...

Opening times are changing to 10 am to 4 pm (from Monday?), and they are planning on closing for good at the end of the first week in February.

• RMweb Gold

There were quite a number of books in there on Monday which had reduced price stickers on them and they were being sold at half the reduced price.  I bought the paperback reprint of 'LMS Signalling' which had been reduced from £14.95 to £5 and only had to pay £2,50 for it.  At that price it would have been rude to leave it on the table in the shop.  Also got some Middleton press books on Tuesday plus a couple of kits (Ratio and Wills) so the second trip was well worthwhile despite the weather being worse than Monday and the train running being not so wonderful (but the FGW brunch on teh way down was very nice, complete with Welsh Cakes).

Archived