Ian Allan - Cardiff. Closing in February

JZ

Opening times are changing to 10 am to 4 pm (from Monday?), and they are planning on closing for good at the end of the first week in February.

It says on the door 'last day February 9th'.

Every visit back 'Home' (for the family at least) from Australia I always made a trip to the Ian Allan shop to pick up a few new publications for my collection. So sorry to find out it will no longer be there when I manage to save the pennies for another trip. The model and book shops of Cardiff have had plenty of custom from my father and myself over the years. Still miss the old Bud Morgan shop even after all this time! My father still talks about seeing some of the first Lionel trains from the US after the war in Bud's window. Mind you, he has a better memory of events from seventy years ago than for what he did last week. 

Dave

Edit for spelling

Shop now looking very bare. Not sure that there will be enough to last until February at this rate, though I think they are expecting some more Ian Allen titles to be shipped in at the end of the week.

Still some good stuff though - as of lunchtime there were two Gaugemaster combi's at £20 each (half RRP).

If only it had been this busy before the closing sale...

Does anyone who has visited the shop over the weekend know whether any other books did arrive,

and whether there are many books left?

I visited last wednesday and picked up six books, surprisingly Mrs Rvercider is happy for me to make another visit tomorrow!

cheers

• RMweb Premium

Does anyone who has visited the shop over the weekend know whether any other books did arrive,

and whether there are many books left?

I visited last wednesday and picked up six books, surprisingly Mrs Rvercider is happy for me to make another visit tomorrow!

cheers

Yes, a table of assorted Ian Allen publications appeared before the weekend - plenty left as of lunchtime yesterday. Mostly quarter price (including one I bought at half price earlier, but I got it at a price I was happy with so I shan't complain).

Still a fair number of other books (and other things) left, but the numbers are certainly dwindling and the back end of the shop is now closed off.

Note that opening times are now 10:00 to 16:00.

Yes, a table of assorted Ian Allen publications appeared before the weekend - plenty left as of lunchtime yesterday. Mostly quarter price (including one I bought at half price earlier, but I got it at a price I was happy with so I shan't complain).

Still a fair number of other books (and other things) left, but the numbers are certainly dwindling and the back end of the shop is now closed off.

Note that opening times are now 10:00 to 16:00.

Thanks,

I may try took look in again then

cheers

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

It's now well over a year since the Ian Allen in Cardiff closed down, apparently because they couldn't afford the increased cost to renew their rent.

And - guess what? The unit is still an exciting retail opportunity for rent.

Nobody seemed to want it as it was. The owners have divided it into two smaller exciting retail opportunities but still apparently not exciting enough.

So they've spent some money on it, and in an over a year received absolutely no income on it.

• RMweb Gold

It's now well over a year since the Ian Allen in Cardiff closed down, apparently because they couldn't afford the increased cost to renew their rent.

And - guess what? The unit is still an exciting retail opportunity for rent.

Nobody seemed to want it as it was. The owners have divided it into two smaller exciting retail opportunities but still apparently not exciting enough.

So they've spent some money on it, and in an over a year received absolutely no income on it.

Predictable, and 100% of nothing is nothing. Still don't suppose Lord and Butler are complaining. Haven't been into the City Centre since it closed. No need.

• RMweb Premium

Predictable, and 100% of nothing is nothing. Still don't suppose Lord and Butler are complaining. 

Or Antics. Though I suspect their current location will be torn down as part of the redevelopment of the area outside Central Station, so I'm not sure where they might end up.

There's a unit going in an Arcade nearby but I hear the rent is quite high...

Or Antics. Though I suspect their current location will be torn down as part of the redevelopment of the area outside Central Station, so I'm not sure where they might end up.

There's a unit going in an Arcade nearby but I hear the rent is quite high...

Talking to the staff in Antics, new premises are being looked at. However reasonably low rent at the present site makes staying put for the moment attractive. They are however on short notice, it could be weeks or 12 months before they have to move. Antics advantage is that they have stuck to small shops staffed by knowledgeable people(maybe railways excepted) and not gone for high pro file shops with flashy display cabinets and staff with little or no knowledge of the products they sell. It would be nice for them to stay near the station, so I have somewhere to go on my PNBs.

• RMweb Premium

Talking to the staff in Antics, new premises are being looked at. However reasonably low rent at the present site makes staying put for the moment attractive. They are however on short notice, it could be weeks or 12 months before they have to move. Antics advantage is that they have stuck to small shops staffed by knowledgeable people(maybe railways excepted) and not gone for high pro file shops with flashy display cabinets and staff with little or no knowledge of the products they sell. It would be nice for them to stay near the station, so I have somewhere to go on my PNBs.

Indeed - I enjoy my trips to Antics and a chat with the staff. I hope they can find somewhere else affordable in the centre of Cardiff when they need to move.

I don't know where else I can discuss model trains and Babylon 5 in the same conversation...

Archived