Mystery photo (date/location) containing GWR wagon

RJS1977

A photo has just been posted on a local history page of a number of gentlemen stood in front of and in a GWR 5-plank wagon. The poster has said they know very little about date or location, except that it is somewhere in Reading and that one of the gents is her great grandfather.

The only clue of date in the photo is the solebar number on the wagon - 8682 - does anyone know where I might be able to find its construction and/or scrapping date?

Many thanks

Richard

I couldn't find that number in a quick scan of the lists in Atkins et al., though I may have missed it or it is not included. There are some irritating 'etc.' in some of these lists, particularly in the odd re-used numbers. If it has five planks then it will not have been built before 1901/2 unless, perhaps, it had been absorbed from another company and renumbered. By that time, the GWR were well into five digit numbers, though there were many that were given lower numbers as rebuilds or replacements for earlier scrapped wagons. However, such low numbers were rarely used after about 1920, so that might suggest a latest build date.

Are you sure the number is the only clue? Apart from the livery there are several features such as buffers, ends of diagonal strapping and door details that can help date these wagons, Then there is the appearance and clothing of the men or any background details. Can you provide a link to the photo or, if its not publicly accessible, perhaps you can get permission to post it here?

Failing all that, you would need to go through the GWR wagon registers to see if you can trace the number.

Nick

Any chance of a link or a posting of the image (permission gained from the owner - of course)?

Just because it is a 5-plank does not mean that the wagon was built that way. Re-use of underframes was very common practise especially for absorbed stock.

There may be more clues. I am also not quite sure of what is being sought - a date or a location? The date is going to be of little use. As the photo could have been taken over the lifetime of the vehicle, though could be narrowed down a little by for example livery though even there not every wagon was reliveried overnight.

I've messaged the originator of the picture to ask for permission to post here.

In the meantime, it's possible the wagon number may be more than four digits as there is a man standing immediately next to the number, potentially obscuring the rest of it. If it's a five-digit number, would all the 8682Xs have been built at around the same time?

Richard

Here's the photo:

10924710_10205945148651948_8775551251024

The gentleman in question is the one on the right hand end of the bottom row, and lived 1852-1939.

The location is also a mystery, as the gentlman worked for Huntley and Palmers so the initial suggestion was that it was somewhere on the H&P rail system,but the building in the background looks like a domestic house and does not appear to match any of the buildings on the H&P site.

8685 - I think the group look more like workers involved in unloading/loading materials rather than wagon repair. None of them appear as "uniformed", even the boss man. Large Logo GW. Could any one of the many rail served factory yards around the Reading area.

If the bottom right-hand gent lived to 1939, anyone care to take a guess at his age in the photo - no youngster, but as he lived into his 80s, we're probably looking at closer to 1900-1920 rather than later?

Also, a lot of the people seem to have a badge of some kind on their left-hand "lapel" area - any clues there?

Edit: can I suggest a better thread title - something like "mystery photo date/location - wagon in Reading", which might bring in more viewers?

The man top-left interests me.  The black homburg hat at a jaunty angle, the jacket with long lapels, and the particularly casual stance, he looks a right spiv!  But he's on the staff, he has the badge.

All the people are standing casually, so a short exposure was all that was required, it was a sunny day, strong shadow on the solebar.

Looks like a Zero behind the two on the left corner of photo.

Good spot - I'd forgotten the number would have been duplicated on the woodwork!

Here's an aerial photo of the HP yard - no houses or trees to be seen:

http://www.huntleyandpalmers.org.uk/ixbin/hixclient.exe?a=query&p=huntley&f=generic_fullsizeprint_fr.htm&_IXFIRST_=26&_IXMAXHITS_=1&m=quick_sform&tc1=i&partner=huntley&text=railway&tc2=e&s=Su4W5SeJfiT

Hi,

Interesting photo.   Apart from the "natty" dresser and two young (possibly under 18) lads there are no particularly young men so I might make a guess at it being during WW1 which would fit in with the gentleman being around 60 and being in his 80s by 1939.

best wishes,

Ian

• RMweb Premium

I'm inclined to agree.. In which case the badges may be war service badges, issued to workers in industries supplying the war effort, similar to this: http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=ww1+war+service+badges&FORM=HDRSC2#view=detail&id=79EE98433ABF352F713FB689F6DADA1CC1E8CEF4&selectedIndex=34

They were meant to put off ladies handing out white feathers.

I have my grandfather's; he made artillery gun barrels in Birmingham.

Pete

I'm inclined to agree.. In which case the badges may be war service badges, issued to workers in industries supplying the war effort, similar to this: http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=ww1+war+service+badges&FORM=HDRSC2#view=detail&id=79EE98433ABF352F713FB689F6DADA1CC1E8CEF4&selectedIndex=34

They were meant to put off ladies handing out white feathers.

I have my grandfather's; he made artillery gun barrels in Birmingham.

Pete

I wondered that (thinking of Silver War Service badges for discharged servicemen),but (according to Wikipedia) they were to be worn on the right lapel,not the left one!

I'm trying to - but how do I select it to edit? (Highlighting and pressing delete just takes me off the page!)

There should be an "Edit" button bottom right of your first post. Click it and you can edit the title as well as the body of the post.

It only appears in posts you make, so here's a screen shot of the corresponding button in my earlier post:

post-6971-0-69644700-1421052382.jpg

Looks like a Zero behind the two on the left corner of photo.

Not sure if that "O" is associated with the number or not. You can also see the 8 by his right shoulder (left on photo) and by extrapolating out the characters, going by the size of the 8, would make the number about 7 characters long. Also, the "O" looks to be a slightly wider font. Is it an O, as in LOAD and not a zero?

Archived