Hornby BR Black 5 R3323

Black 5 Bear

• RMweb Gold

After doing some modeling turning 45455. In 45116. Thinking it was a good donner. Getting rid of the lip from the bottom of the tender and adding a tool tunnel etc. I then put right the front under the smoke box added some of the under cab sheets. I thought I'd done a decent amount of modelling only to find Hornby do both riveted and none riveted buffer beams! and guess what I have the wrong one. Looks like I'll be renumbering 45253 tomorrow.

post-12485-0-09164200-1463880694.jpg

Not only do they divide into long and short firebox variants, they also tooled both wheelbases in the long firebox version. Beware swapping chassis as the difference is only about 1mm and it's not immediately noticeable if you aren't looking for it.

That's a very useful post as I always wondered if the longer wheelbase chassis had been accurately modelled - might have to get one now!

Having bought two of these years ago when they first came out, I'd echo earlier comments that a change of bogie wheels to Gibsons makes for a big improvement, as it does on the Stanier 8F. It looks as well as if later models are better suited for closing the loco/tender gap - with the first variants I had to grind off the connector to the tender peg, reposition the peg and then re-solder the connector in order to keep tender pick-ups - a real faff.

John.

• 3 weeks later...

Having just looked at this model in a bit more detail, I can see that this loco doesn't have cylinder lining, but don't remember seeing it on any previous models. I am interested to know if this was certain sheds that out shopped locos like this, or was it during a certain period?

• RMweb Gold

Having just looked at this model in a bit more detail, I can see that this loco doesn't have cylinder lining, but don't remember seeing it on any previous models. I am interested to know if this was certain sheds that out shopped locos like this, or was it during a certain period?

To the best of my knowledge this was never applied.

A bit late on but having just completed a running in period with this latest version of Hornby's iconic Black 5 ,I consider it to be the best of the bunch by a long mile.

I can certainly remember B5s with cylinder lining. I think it depended on which works the loco had been overhauled and painted at. Also if only a light repair then patch painting was the order of the day. I will have a look at my research material.

Archived