The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

R.I.P. Edgar Froese

brian daniels

Just found out that on 20th January Edgar Froese passed away. Now most of you will not have heard of him but he was the founder of Tangerine Dream a German electronic music group. They have produced over 100 albums and a few soundtracks most noticeably to me for the film Legend.

This is without doubt one of his best, just close your eyes and drift away from it all, Drunken Mozart in the Desert.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBSQ19IeW6I

First heard of TD back in 78. I was a bit of a geek and spent a lot of time at the planetarium. Laserium were doing an extended run in the star chamber and I got to talking to them on a regular basis. Before and after the shows they'd play Phaedra, Richochet, Encore, and Rubycon. That got me hooked. I've got 147 official albums/mini albums/singles along with a complete set of the trees and leaves series. The latter being quasi-sanctioned fan releases of just about every concert they ever did. Not to mention the complete library of his solo material. That totals up to around 600 hours of music.

We've been lucky to see them 7 times in concert. The last was this past June in Cologne. We also met him and had a brief chat after the 2007 London concert outside of the late lamented Astoria. A complete gentleman.

Deb: They re-released Sorcerer last spring as a double disc with all of the material that was left over from the movie.

Another fan here. Always thought Phardra was a good replacement sound track for the film The Elizabethan.

The motion of the A4 against the beat of the music was fantastic. Even the braking is is there leading up to a signal check and then it clears and the music picks up as the A4 accelerates.

• RMweb Gold

You don't often find me contributing to music obits, but I'll do so here. The Dream were one of the very few bands I actually went to see, although TBH I found the records more fulfilling, which is why I was never much of a concert-goer! I have several of the early albums. Still think Desert Dream the best track they made.

ISTR Sorcerer was a re-make of the Wages of Fear, a powerful film I'd seen at skool.

Thats a real shame. I was introduced to Tangerine Dream amongst other artists by my uncle and he had a copy of Force Majeure on LP that he played for me once. And I loved it especially Cloudburst Flight and I made him put the LP on again. From there he brought some albums on CD and we listened to them a lot. Such a good and varied output of music.

R.I.P. Edgar

Paul

I first heard Atem in 1973(?). The lad next-door had lAlpha Centauri.

I then bought Phaedra (1974) and the follow up Rubicon a year later. 

I saw them at the Manchester Free Trade Hall 4th November 1974 - the Phaedra Tour.

A concert unlike anything else. Very futuristic, powerful, hypnotic and spacey for its time. Great quality sound too IIRC.

In all the dozens and dozens, if not hundreds of gigs I've been to in my life, it remains a great memory of one of the most enjoyable gigs I've ever been to.

Personally, I think that 1971-75 & 75-77 personnel line up was the best....

• Edgar Froese - keyboards, guitars
  • Christopher Franke - keyboards, drums
  • Peter Baumann - keyboards

After the following mid/late 70's albums, I think they drifted into a more M.O.R. sound and more film score sounding stuff.

A lot of the later stuff over the last 30 years or so, I found to be a bit boring. YMMV.

R.I.P.

Ron

Archived