• RMweb Gold

D1065 had a different shaped horn cowl at one end, a sort of "M" shape.

If I could get the scanner to work I could show you, alas, software upgrades the lot, there is no communication between my Mac and the scanner. I have a nasty feeling an expensive repair is needed, it really looks like a hardware fault the Mac doesn't see it at all.

Neil

Edited by Downendian

• RMweb Gold

Hmm .... could it be something one might create from microstrip and gently file to shape???Hee heeWasn't aware till you posted, NeilCheersPhil

Thanks for the PM Phil - he pointed out my D1065 model which I'm embarrassed has not progressed since last summer save toning the weathering down to an "early summer 1976" condition.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/61530-downendian-details/?p=1228732

Neil

• RMweb Gold

Since Neil has generously opened up this thread for other photographers, I have two modest offerings this morning, both dating from 1973.

First is D7100 in a rather sorry state after its stint as a practice piece for recovery and re-railing teams, photographed at Old Oak Common in May '73.

post-7291-0-59253800-1424156920_thumb.jpg

Next is a shot similar to Jonny's picture of D1072 above, though mine was taken on a grotty October day in '73. D1021 arrives at Reading on an up express, apparently confused as to what type of train it is working!

post-7291-0-80995900-1424157065.jpg

Edited by Trevellan
  • Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Jonny's D1072 shot at Reading - Phill you're right the combine is this one, 1974 edition.

post-6925-0-06293800-1424160650_thumb.jpg

This one, despite its appearance never went out "in the field" that was battered old locoshed books, just for a quick look up to see if the sighting was a "cop".

Neil

• Like 5

Can i just throw these 2 in, from some of our old family holiday shots.

The old fella wouldn`t let me have the camera that often.

i think he knew i would walk down to Goodrington sidings, and sit there all day on a summer saturday.

By the way ,do you remember when your photos came back, from the chemist, on that crappy mat paper ?

post-18572-0-59224500-1424162009_thumb.jpg

post-18572-0-90403000-1424162026_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

Excellent stuff, Ray. Brings back many memories.

I hated those matt photo papers. I hope you have the negs to those two, I bet they would scan up really well.

And back to 1072 at Reading, the spotter in the photo has an A to Z next to him - maybe he's been planning a depot bunk?

• RMweb Gold

That picture of D1072 is superb Johnny777   :sungum:

As Phil Buulock said it could be any one of us of a certain age in that long hot summer of 1976......looks like a Ian Allan Combined Volume or 'Combine' as we knew them at the side of the spotters bag  :good:

Phill :)

1976,  now let me see maybe that was the year I was hunting for bits of one of them in a lineside ditch after part of the final drive disintegrated and it was definitely the year when we were making quite a lot of use of them on our staple traffic at my then place of employment (Westbury).  For real amusement my last 'Combined' - which has them all underlined of course - has the names written in by hand for all the Crew built ones!

• RMweb Gold

Ok now running out of scanned slides, couldn't get it working last night.

Most here have been posted before.

Scrapline at Swindon in 1977 after all were taken out of service on 27/2/77 the day after the Western Tribute railtour

D1012 Western Firebrand, D1025 Western Guardsman and D1064 Western Regent 20th April 1977, all seen in the prime of their lives earlier in this thread.

post-6925-0-64205400-1424196240_thumb.jpg

D1071 Western Renown, D1056 Western Sultan and D1058 Western Nobleman on the same day 20/4/77

post-6925-0-37764600-1424196350_thumb.jpg

D1020 Western Hero at Laira. Most Westerns were stripped of the parts here and then dragged either direct to Swindon, or for the early withdrawals to Bristol St Phillips Marsh, one I never saw unfortunately

post-6925-0-30496800-1424196461_thumb.jpg

Then D1060 Western Dominion, another gap in my collection in happier days at Temple Meads in 1973

post-6925-0-17510800-1424196404_thumb.jpg

Finally 814 Dragon at Exeter in the early 1970s.

post-6925-0-32192600-1424196290_thumb.jpg

Neil

Edited by Downendian
  • Like 16

And back to 1072 at Reading, the spotter in the photo has an A to Z next to him - maybe he's been planning a depot bunk?

We used to walk miles following the 'Locoshed' book's directions.........some sheds were a very very long way from the stations in the books guide :O  lol

Laira was OK though as it was a nice bus ride form Plymouth as I recall :)

Phill :locomotive:

• RMweb Gold

We used to walk miles following the 'Locoshed' book's directions.........some sheds were a very very long way from the stations in the books guide :O  lol

Laira was OK though as it was a nice bus ride form Plymouth as I recall :)

Phill :locomotive:

But if you hadn't got the bus fare it was a fair old walk!!!

Phil

Yes, Laira was a long way to walk from Plymouth station; as was Kingmoor from Carlisle.

Landore was quite a long way from Swansea station and I remember walking there in a gale and horizontal heavy rain, the like of which I had never witnessed before, only to pitch up at the depot gate looking like a drowned rat and be turned away by a couple of pickets that were letting no one past because there was a local dispute with management.

The long walk back to the station in the heavy rain and wind was even more depressing, impossible though that would have seemed to me when going the other way.

Landore was quite a long way from Swansea station and I remember walking there in a gale and horizontal heavy rain, the like of which I had never witnessed before, only to pitch up at the depot gate looking like a drowned rat.

Well, what did you expect in Wales, Sunshine!

Ian

A group of 10 of us walked from Long Eaton to Toton - never again! Part of our wonderful "area 10" late summer 1977.

Neil

Did that walk in July/ August 81? when we were doing a two week all line rover. Went in to a pub near to Long Eaton station and asked for four pints, there were only three of us, that first pint did not touch the sides, it had gone before the second pint was on the bar.

Good days, we did get kicked off Toton but we did get most of the stuff that was on shed including the class 15.

OzzyO. 

• Like 1

The worst depot to reach without personal transport for me was Margam, middle of nowhere minimum 4-5 miles form Port Talbot, no bus service within walking distance.........

Toton was a hike, but not as bad.

Landore was a good stretch of the legs, through a somewhat salubrious area...... but as my 1979 shot shows, we were always allowed in.

Only depot I can recall being booted out of was Haymarket - and we had a permit !!

Whereas at Motherwell a driver offered us a cab ride to Carstairs in his pair of 20s.

At Radyr I once had a driving lesson on PWM651

Late 1971 early 1972, did 'exit stage left' at  St.Phillips Marsh - pursued by the BTP

Brian R

post-1599-0-00753800-1424300964_thumb.jpg

Edited by br2975
  • Like 10

Most sheds in Scotland were always good sheds to get around if you asked. Inverness was always a favourite of mine. One year I was on a Scot rail 7day rover ticket and went in to the B.R.S.A. club after showing my C.I.U. club card, and got talking to a very nice fellow called "Jock" turned out he was some thing like the traction manager for the Inverness district, I got a note off him, it was like having a shed pass to all of the sheds in Scotland. 

A very nice man who I will always thank for his help in getting me onto some sheds, it may have cost a dram but so what.

I would always say go to the shed office first and ask for permission to go around the shed. After that it's up to you!   

OzzyO.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I know we're shamelessly off topic, but the difference in treatment we got at various BR depots was remarkable. Always had great Treatment at Haymarket and Eastfield, but then I always put on a strong West Country accent before asking to go round. Bath road, Toton and Tinsley were impossible often being told to go away using the most powerful Anglo Saxon vocabulary we have. Others were exceptionally kind, cab rides, driver experiences and engine room walkthroughs in 40 070 at York and 37 086 at Cambridge.

Neil

Must be down to the mood of the master, we turned on spec at Tinsley and ended up being driven up and down the yard in brand new 56 013 including numerous engine starts and shutdowns and a tour of the engineroom and the shed itself. I remember a large painting in the reception area, wonder where thats gone [can't think what it was of though]

Edited by GRUNFOS

• RMweb Gold

I know we're shamelessly off topic, but the difference in treatment we got at various BR depots was remarkable. Always had great Treatment at Haymarket and Eastfield, but then I always put on a strong West Country accent before asking to go round. Bath road, Toton and Tinsley were impossible often being told to go away using the most powerful Anglo Saxon vocabulary we have. Others were exceptionally kind, cab rides, driver experiences and engine room walkthroughs in 40 070 at York and 37 086 at Cambridge.

Neil

York was always a good shed in steam days as well.  On my last visit, a Sunday afternoon, it was very much in transition with a number of coaled & cold K1s round one side of the turntable and a number of brand new EE Type 1s on the opposite side plus a privately owned A4 in the straight shed part.  I interrupted a card school to ask permission, duly flashing my ID card and was told to carry on and takeaway anything I wanted (there was nothing small enough or light enough for me to carry and no doubt they knew that but I think I could have had a K1 if I wanted!!!).  Nice shed - very good at coaling diesels judging by the fate of one EE Type 4 which ventured under the coaler on one occasion.

• Like 3