What's the building backdrop at Goodrington?  I don't remember seeing that before, maybe I was too preoccupied with the traction back in 1977!

Just been on Google Earth, and there's now a housing development called Great Western Close where that building stood.  

Edited by 'CHARD

What's the building backdrop at Goodrington?  I don't remember seeing that before, maybe I was too preoccupied with the traction back in 1977!

Just been on Google Earth, and there's now a housing development called Great Western Close where that building stood.  

T`was quite a large goods shed,

but i can`t remember any lines running into the place at the time.

I know i didn`t get much of a view from the road, when going back to the camp

on the top deck of a Devon general sea dog.

• RMweb Gold

Good evening- I thought I'd scanned more than already posted (grey cells still working!),

and found some more scans on a back up portable hard drive, some beauties too - including my best Hymek slide.

Enjoy.

First D1065 Western Consort, she was withdrawn on my 15th birthday in November 1976, by which time she was in a legendary state.

Here she is on 22nd February 1975, so exactly 40 years ago at Plymouth -(what a coincidence). One of my Heljan rebuilds is D1065, so I've been collecting as many shots as I can. This end is minus headboard clips, the other has the M shaped horn cowl unfortunately.

post-6925-0-96165800-1424636459_thumb.jpg

Next D1073 Western Bulwark at Exeter on a Northbound milk train, 6M11.

post-6925-0-92206100-1424636484_thumb.jpg

D1030 Western Musketeer at Reading.

post-6925-0-33530300-1424636511_thumb.jpg

Next my favourite Hymek slide, D7026 (edit slide States at Ponsondane, more likely Old Oak common) complete with snowploughs, 8th January 1967.

post-6925-0-48686800-1424636535_thumb.jpg

Finally a 1960s shot at Swindon of D7044 - so much has changed and gone from here now.

post-6925-0-31387500-1424636606_thumb.jpg

Edited by Downendian
  • Like 15

• RMweb Gold

I have no knowledge of Penzance Peter, that's how the slide was labelled, happy to stand corrected. Because of the precise date normally the location written on the slide is too, but any other ideas folks?

Neil

Edited by Downendian

I always wondered if I saw a Hymek at Penzance. I lost my early 60s spotting notes, but in an old locoshed book I have D7090 underlined.

I know I went to Penzance station whilst on holiday with my parents in August 1963, because that is where I saw my only D6xx which was D603. I also have D815, D821, D1001 and D1009 underlined, plus D6308, D6319 and D6321.

I cannot think of any other place that I would have seen those locos in the short time that I made use of that locoshed book, because living in Lincolnshire meant that holidays were about the only time I ventured away from the ER, and the following two years we went to Bournemouth.  I couldn't afford train fares on my pocket money.

• Like 2

I always wondered if I saw a Hymek at Penzance. I lost my early 60s spotting notes, but in an old locoshed book I have D7090 underlined.

I know I went to Penzance station whilst on holiday with my parents in August 1963, because that is where I saw my only D6xx which was D603. I also have D815, D821, D1001 and D1009 underlined, plus D6308, D6319 and D6321.

Quite possible

The following are some of the Hymeks allocated to Newton Abbott at various times from about 1963.

D7002/37/68-72/74/86/90/95-99, D7100

Brian R

Edited by br2975

• RMweb Gold

My guess from the line up here at Laira that its D1029.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/suthensofty/8390071719/

Interesting though that this lot must have made the trip to Swindon separately as I saw D1029 coupled to D1044 on their way to Swindon in March 1975.

Edit : perhaps the mystery Western is not D1029 as it has the driver's name clips under the cab windows which is a hallmark of Crewe built locos.

Neil

Edited by Downendian

Quick / semi-educated guess would be D1039.... I took two similar shots around the same time with 7089 in attendance but the prints are stashed away somewhere while we're working on the house. If I find them I'll check but '39 rings a few bells.

Love this thread :sungum:

Edited by Rugd1022

• RMweb Gold

It's not D1039 Nidge, she was razor blades by mid 1974. D1035's last day in traffic was 28/12/74 so I reckon that dates the photo as early 1975. I know it wasn't D1039 as she had gone when I started spotting.

Neil

Hi guys, this is just my opinion and i could be completely wrong but if you look at the ground it shows a wider path one side and the standard size space between tracks the other. With this in mind could the western pics be of the same loco but from both sides of the same end ?

Rob ......   hoping i haven't lost my marbles :scratchhead:

• RMweb Gold

Rob - honestly ;) I wondered that too- the pic I hyperlinked is of 1035, 1003 and 1029, only one of them Crewe built. The photos must be within a few weeks of each other.

Neil

Edited by Downendian

You know ,i can`t honestly remember.

I was just wandering around taking a few snaps.

There is a scribble on the back of 2 of the photos  saying April 75.

i seem to think you are right though, in the fact that they are the same loco.

Got a few more pics of the working examples on the same day, to follow soon.

Didn`t you just love those instamatic 126 with the cartridge film.

Hi guys, this is just my opinion and i could be completely wrong but if you look at the ground it shows a wider path one side and the standard size space between tracks the other. With this in mind could the western pics be of the same loco but from both sides of the same end ?

Rob ......   hoping i haven't lost my marbles :scratchhead:

I agree with Rob.

The cab door is open, broken sun visor visible in both shots. Plus the lighting is how it should be.

Def the same loco.