Bachmann 85 into an 81.

kevpeo

Conversely, I made a Trix 81 into an 85 many years ago! I may still have it somewhere.  When they were available for £4/19/6 as kits!

Edited by roythebus
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

An update. Yes the project is still ongoing, but you didn't want to watch paint dry did you?

81m.JPG.90361bc3fb0904828ebee10a6937de68.JPG

Painting done and window side transfers applied and sealed, all by Fox. The orange cantrail stripe was a very late addition it seems. Other side now done and drying. I can't wait to reassemble this now! Kev.

Edited by kevpeo
picture
  • Like 10

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Kev, this looks great. I'm keen to do one myself following a similar method and have suitable donor acquired.

Am I right in thinking that you cut out the existing grills with a cutting disk, re-shaped them to the size/shape of 81 grills and re-fitted them to the re-profiled body sides using styrene surrounds?

Guy

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Nice work, I'm looking forward to seeing it and the layout at Nottingham next year.

Can I bring my 81 along for comparison...? !

Of course! Legomanbiffo's 81 has made the odd appearance in the past. His is a DC Kits one on a Heljan mech I believe. I'm looking forward to getting Coppell out again. We are currently in the middle of a little bit of a re-wire to hopefully sort out some lingering voltage drop issues. Kev.

• 4 weeks later...

Lovely! Where have these little beauties been hiding away? Great to see some quality AC electric modelling

A few more pic have been uploaded, including a ETD under construction :-)    Niallks6 has done an amazing job on all the locos and the depot :-)

• 5 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Nice work, I'm looking forward to seeing it and the layout at Nottingham next year.

Can I bring my 81 along for comparison...? !

Just a quick bump as a reminder that Coppell will be at the Nottingham Show next weekend. I'm looking forward to seeing it and the 81, assuming I can get away from my own layout.

• Thanks 1

• 3 years later...
On 21/02/2015 at 16:46, kevpeo said:

You mean like this one Peter -

post-8271-0-55102000-1424537099_thumb.jpg

An earlier attempt!  Kev.

Would not have originally run in that livery with air tanks on the roof, they were a later mod when the 2nd pan was removed and the locos converted to dual brake. :)

• Agree 1

I converted a Trix 81 to an 85 many years ago, I've probably still got it around somewhere; I done an 81 to an 86, also a Trix conversion, and a HD AL1 to an 83-ish thing, all back in the 1960s and 70s.

I recently found my Trix AL1 and gave it a good run, it still works well but is a bit rough as the traction tyres have perished. all my locos appeared on the MRC's New Annington layout in the 1980s, long before other AC locos were available. then came the Hornby 86 and the Lima 87...

A couple of those Trix locos I got back in the 1960s as Locobuilder kits at £4/19/6 each, a small fortune in those days. I ended up with 7 of them at one time!

Somewhere unearthed recently is an unfinished AM4 made from ABS underframes, Comet suburban side and hand built ends. Anyone interested in finishing it is welcome to make an offer for it.

Edited by roythebus
additions
  • Like 2