Midland Railway in EM gauge

Mrkirtley800

Just Another few pics of operations at Kirkby Malham.

The N.E.R features this time, using one of my favourite locomotives, the class C 0-6-0, resplendent in lined green livery. But as I have said before don't tell Paul (Worsdell forever)

Anyway, it has just brought in the Northallerton goods, coming via Leyburn Junction dropping off horse boxes at Middleham before passing through Grassington, taking the Grassington curve to Hanlith Junction, and finally arriving at Kirkby Malham. It had to wait then for a Midland passenger to Bradford (Market Street). The passenger having departed, it drew the goods into the down platform line, ran round and since nothing else was due for some time, went into the loco yard to be turned.

Back on the train, it drew the wagons across the single slip on the up line (departure line) and into the yard, ready to sort out the train.

This loco only picks up power by the tender, instead of my usual loco and tender. It is one of the most reliable of my stock, although the tender is 'split framed' and the first two axles are sprung down.

With the points I build, usually have hinged switches (blades) which are bonded to the nearest stock rail with fine wire. I wonder if I have been a bit careless when laying the points because on some the wire has got broken, so now I will have to rebond. It is the main cause of unsatisfactory running now, but means climbing up on a stool to be able to reach over to do it. Not easy with cranky knees.

The signals are not yet working. I intend to operate them from lever frames situated on the narrow plywood shelf on the front. That job with be done when I take the boards down to work on in the summer.

So, I hope I am not boring you too much with my fantasy, Olga does say that I do go on far too much.

Derek

post-6110-0-48317000-1457114716_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-29857700-1457114760_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-63114600-1457114802_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

Just Another few pics of operations at Kirkby Malham.

The N.E.R features this time, using one of my favourite locomotives, the class C 0-6-0, resplendent in lined green livery. But as I have said before don't tell Paul (Worsdell forever)

Anyway, it has just brought in the Northallerton goods, coming via Leyburn Junction dropping off horse boxes at Middleham before passing through Grassington, taking the Grassington curve to Hanlith Junction, and finally arriving at Kirkby Malham. It had to wait then for a Midland passenger to Bradford (Market Street). The passenger having departed, it drew the goods into the down platform line, ran round and since nothing else was due for some time, went into the loco yard to be turned.

Back on the train, it drew the wagons across the single slip on the up line (departure line) and into the yard, ready to sort out the train.

This loco only picks up power by the tender, instead of my usual loco and tender. It is one of the most reliable of my stock, although the tender is 'split framed' and the first two axles are sprung down.

With the points I build, usually have hinged switches (blades) which are bonded to the nearest stock rail with fine wire. I wonder if I have been a bit careless when laying the points because on some the wire has got broken, so now I will have to rebond. It is the main cause of unsatisfactory running now, but means climbing up on a stool to be able to reach over to do it. Not easy with cranky knees.

The signals are not yet working. I intend to operate them from lever frames situated on the narrow plywood shelf on the front. That job with be done when I take the boards down to work on in the summer.

So, I hope I am not boring you too much with my fantasy, Olga does say that I do go on far too much.

Derek

Hi Derek - if you want me to help with any soldering in difficult-to-reach places next week, I am quiet happy to assist if it saves your cranky knees from further pain!

Kev.

• Like 2

Today was the start of a general refurb of locos and stock. Some of the electro magnets work, others not, so I tested goods stock as it came into the station. Many of the couplings had been bent or damaged while in storage, so it was a case of straightening them out and resetting. A good proportion will really require replacing, but that is a job done gradually when all else is up and running.

The first out was the Johnson compound in it's original condition and fitted with a bogie tender. It was the very first loco of this type for the Midland, coming out in 1901. Of course, No 1000 is the preserved one, which you might think is nothing like my engine. In fact it ran in the condition I have modelled it until 1914, when it was rebuilt in the style we see it today. Losing it's Johnson boiler fittings and smokebox door, and bogie tender.

Having arrived with a passenger, I ran it on the turntable. It actually ran out of turntable, the table being a 50' was going to be too small for my engines with bogie tenders. So it had to turn on the triangle, taking the Grassington line at Hanlith Junction to Crook Rise Junction on the main line, to Rylstone South Junction, then back to Kirkby Malham, and one piccie shows it ready to depart.

I will not use this loco very much. Really putting Mr.Johnson's finest on a five coach local is similar to cracking a nut with a sledgehammer.

So here are a few pics of it's progress during the running session today. You might notice, this loco was painted and lined by me, not very well. I don't stand it next to one of Coachman Larry's paint jobs.

Derek

post-6110-0-68716000-1457383401_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-16983100-1457383512_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-22215300-1457383577_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-60831100-1457383634_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mrkirtley800
  • Like 11

Thank you skipepsi, the point I wanted to make was that Larry is revered for his painting and lining and I am certainly not.

As far as loco building is concerned, well, steam locos are not difficult. As I have said before, the hardest part is making a start. It is 80 parts determination and 20 of skill.

I could not make a model of a diesel.

Derek.

• Like 3

It can manage 5 without an ancient 2-4-0 to help it? Well done 1000!

I always thought that if the driver brought an extra sandwich the Midland would decree a pilot was needed.

A bit more running different engines. They all seem to negotiate some rather indifferent track around the curve at the end of the layout. This was rescued from Canal Road, and in fitting it in the new arrangement, made a few hoo-has in the main line. At the time I was not too bothered because I new that I would have to do some tweeking to get the railway to run as I wanted. Of course, I forgot all about this bit. However, this week it will be sorted.

A couple of venerable locos in the two Kirtley Well Tanks.

The 0-6-0WT has come with a Kirtley designed brake van to collect the two bogie bolsters which have been hanging about for ages. These well tanks started life as a single driver (plus tender) in the 1840's. At some point, in the 1870's I think, they were converted into well tanks, and were used in shunting operations until scrapping. The one modelled was scrapped in 1920-ish.

So the scene showing the loco and brake could have been any time between the 1870's and about 1910, when, I believe the brake vans had gone. Only the loco livery places the time after the change of colour to crimson lake in 1883,and I cannot imagine a humble shunting engine would be a high priority. The colour of the engine before 1883 would have been a light-ish green and before that a deep sea green.

The loco was built over an extended period. The chimney turned when I acquired a Unimat in 1965 (cost £28). the rest of the engine followed over about twenty years and used to run on my Kirkby Malham mark 1 exhibition layout, where it performed fairly indifferently. Since then, new and proper sized wheels, a gearbox, a decent motor and beam compensation has transformed it.

The 0-4-4WT is now knocking fifty years of age. It was built in 1966 and performed sterling work on my Grassington layout. It used a Triang XT 60 motor and was a good performer. The motor eventually burned out and was replaced by a Mashima, at the same time new wheels and compensation. It has come into the station light engine to collect the milk vans from the dock and take them to Grassington to be attached to a passenger train to Leyburn Junction, then via the N.E.R. to Northallerton. (more fantasy)

Derek

post-6110-0-03522800-1457478558_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-68480900-1457478784_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-84616800-1457478850_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mrkirtley800
  • Like 16

• RMweb Gold

OMG now you give me both Kirtley well tanks. :O

You are making me want to give up the diesels. :help: I really don't have the room for steam era midland track layouts. (sob sob) :cry:

Regards Lez.Z. 

• Like 1

Yes, Simon, you are quite correct, but I wanted to have a bit of space to stand carriage trucks or milk/fruit vans at the end of the arrival platform. I could have done that by having a trailing crossover half way up the platform but thought that would not look right. Grassington had the release crossover as ''trailing' points but there the arrival platform was, as far as I know, never used. All the time I knew the station, the arrival platform was just a grassy mound, and what would have been the 'up' platform used exclusively.

Should Kirkby Malham become a through station, I will replace that crossover, and make it trailing. But at my time of life, I think the station will remain a terminus.

Derek

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Had a nice afternoon driving trains on Derek's layout. A train shunted, and a passenger and freight driven all the way to the fiddle yard without me causing too much havoc.

And a nice cup of tea and a piece of Olga's home made cake....great to catch up Derek!

Baz

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Had a nice afternoon driving trains on Derek's layout. A train shunted, and a passenger and freight driven all the way to the fiddle yard without me causing too much havoc.

And a nice cup of tea and a piece of Olga's home made cake....great to catch up Derek!

Baz

You only went for the cake.