Midland Railway in EM gauge

Mrkirtley800

Here are two more pics I had meant to include yesterday, where the NER stopping goods is taking the Grassington Curve at Hanlith Junction.  It will shunt the yard at Grassington before heading north, picking up at Kettlewell, Horsehouse, Carlton, Middleham and Leyburn, before running down to Northallerton on the NER main line to Newcastle.

I have to admit, despite all my teasing of Paul (Worsdell forever) about the colour of the engines, I have a soft spot for my North Eastern locos.  I find all three of them attractive in appearance and what's more, they work well.  Now that I have let the cat out of the bag, Paul will not let me forget it.

I will now shut up for a while and try to do some basic scenic work, and get rid of all the surplus stuff originating on Canal Road, which may be seen parked around the layout.

Unfortunately the cold weather is playing havoc with my arthritic joints in my knees and hips, so my work rate is a fraction of what it used to be, and any work I do seems to take forever.  However, when I have something to post I will return.

Derek

post-6110-0-25037800-1455290535_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-54555900-1455290578_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

Thank you Barry, it is an attractive little loco.  I think, if my memory isn't playing tricks, that these engines were painted lined black after 1904.  Of course, it would take a fair few years for them all to be repainted.

My other NER engines are a class P2 ? (became LNER J26) and a class U 0-6-2T, both scratch built, and in lined black livery.

The NER P2 came about almost by accident.  When I moved back north in 1965, I went down to the local railway society.  There I met a man who was to become a great friend for over 40 years before his untimely death in 2009.  But back in '65, he came to our house and saw my layout under construction, and expressed the wish to build a loco from scratch.  He only had Hornby Dublo then.  So I offered to build one in tandem with him, and asked him to choose which one.  Fred decided on a LNER J27 0-6-0.

So I built the NER P2, very similar locos.

He came to our house every Tuesday evening all summer of 1966, and finished up with his J27.  After that there was no stopping him, and G5's B1'S , J21's followed in rapid succession.  All he wanted was a bit of knowledge and a lot of confidence to have a go.  Certainly, scratch building basic model railway locomotives, stock and track is not difficult, but I have to take my hat off to some of the beautiful creations we see on RMW, they are exceptional.

Derek

• Like 1

Derek,

A brief visit to your thread is like taking a tonic when you are feeling unwell, as I am at the moment! Thank you for the uplifting of the spirits afforded by those superb images.

I hope the arthritis inducing conditions disappear soon,

Kind regards,

Jock.

Thank you Jock, I am really glad you get something out of my efforts. Model railways has been an absolute life saver for me, especially over the last six years or so when I have had knee and hip problems. Didn't' help when we'll meaning friends told me to get up and go.

I certainly hope you begin to feel a bit better very soon.

Derek

MRKirtley800 (Derek) and I were good friends in my amateur days and it was always exciting to see what he had produced next. I only wanted to paint MR and early LMS locos in J.T.Keeps cellulose Lake in those days because it was such a beautiful colour. I would argue for GWR/BR green of course today so long as it looks black from a distance!  :biggrin_mini2:

Those were the days Larry, I used to drive all over the country to go to exhibitions. I have always enjoyed making things. The 1960's and 70's and into the 80's were my busiest time, although I kept on building locos until recently. I had a spell building model warships at one stage and a few years ago dolls houses for grand daughters.

Who knows in the future, although I am getting a bit long in the tooth now.

Derek

• Like 2

Hi Derek, just thought I would say hello as we have not seen you for a few weeks. It has not been the weather for getting out much. I have done a bit in the shed, but it is too cold to stay out for long - even at my young age! 

Hi Derek, just thought I would say hello as we have not seen you for a few weeks. It has not been the weather for getting out much. I have done a bit in the shed, but it is too cold to stay out for long - even at my young age!

Hi Kevin, yes it has been too cold for me to venture out with my cranky joints. I am still doing a bit on the railway and some operating using the controller that you kindly repaired for me. So I haven't been entirely stagnant

Derek

• Like 1

A little while since Kirkby Malham was on RMW. I have been still working on the layout, although it has been a cold period. I must be getting old as I feel the chill in the air now much more than just a few years ago. I have a heater in the layout and it does help, but the air some cools down when it is turned off.

If I had given some thought years ago, I would have been better placed now. Should have done what Physicsman Jeff has done with his layout room.

However, some jobs have gone ahead. I have renewed or refurbished the scenic at the bottom end of the line as it curves round. The piccie shows it looking a bit dark. It is in a darkish place, so now I need some lighter coloured scatter. This will come the next time I am at a show or near a model centre.

The two bolster wagons at the buffer stops are dumb buffered wagons with a 6'6" wheelbase. I should think the full sized jobs would have been built way back in the 1850's or 60's.

I scratch built them when recovering from a rather nasty operation back in 1981. I was away from work for three months and had to build up my strength again. So it was a Danish pastry with coffee every morning and plenty of wagon building on a folding table in the warm lounge.

Just two piccies today one of course is the new scenic work, the other of a Kirtley goods running round the wagons prior to drawing them into the yard and a quiet spot of shunting.

Still trying to make my mind up about what to do regarding the village at the buffer stop end.

I have been doing quite a bit of running of late, learning the road. It never ceases to amaze me, you can build a layout and wire it up and yet it seems to aquire a mind of it's own, with it's own little foibles. This is what I am learning, besides finding what needs working on loco and stockwise. Most of my engines have not worked for a couple of years and trying to run them realistically has become a real task. My slim boilered 4-4-0 class L ran like a stuffed pig, so into the works it went. As usual pick up problems. I try to pick up power from both loco and tender. On this occasion one of the leads between them had broken. New bit of wire and adjustment of pick ups and it runs like a charm - Simples. I wish all problems were so easily sorted.

Derek

post-6110-0-59402500-1456756549_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-19202200-1456756597_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mrkirtley800
  • Like 16

There's a real pleasure in digging out a loco that's not run for a while and getting it back to running order. However not being able to find the fault (or faults) can be really frustrating. Mind you, your stock is really worth any time spent fettling and I look forward to seeing them.

Still playing, no operating. Friends of Olga's often say to her "is Derek playing trains?" If I hear them I tell them that I won't let Olga come out with them any more, because "We don't play trains ---we operate".

So just now I am in the middle of a period of playing with my train set!!.

One or two little niggles still left. One is that I require another electro magnet half way down the departure platform, to allow coaches to be shunted/drawn into the platform and the loco to be released via the crossover near the buffer stops. At the moment I am having to use my favourite bodging tool to do the uncoupling.

Another problem is with the double slip. Running from the cattle dock into the siding next to the goods shed derailed 'old faithful' -- 2645 my Kirtley 0-6-0. The clearances are just a little too tight.

Ran the '800' class 2-4-0 on a passenger today, and found the centre wheels on the tender not turning, they are jammimg up. A visit to the 'works' is called for.

I am listing all the faults which need sorting or slight modifications so that in the warmer weather I will (with help) lift down each board in turn, and do the necessary work Long gone are the days when I could squeeze into spaces under the layout and do the fixing with the boards in situ. I now need them on my bench.

Also today I have been drawing out the controls on card -- i.e. siting of uncouplers, point at which each section ends and another one starts etc. All little things which I have or will forget. So I need 'crib sheets'. This is my first layout where I do not have a 'geographic' control panel.

Really though, I am quite pleased with the running that I am getting, even with the filthy track. I need to give it a massive spring clean.

Piccies show the 800 class at the stops. This is becoming a favourite place to photograph the engines.

Also, the loco has now been turned and is coupled to the carriages ready for departure.

Derek

post-6110-0-59821600-1456949927_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-04764500-1456949984_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-71384500-1456950030_thumb.jpg

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Derek,

I get so used to your pictures that I often miss how good your layout is.  People talk about 'railways in the landscape' and others build railways and 'plonk' bits of outside scenic on it, but yours is mainly railway but the 'outside' scenic just seem to fit.  It looks brilliant.  I will not mention the Edwardian locos or 6 wheel carriages which as any one knows are the only proper sort........

I am really pleased it is mostly back together and you are having extensive 'operating sessions'.  Hope you feel better soon.

• Like 1

Thanks Chris, my main problems are my worn out joints. I have no one to blame but myself for abusing them for most of my life.

The cold weather seems to play havoc and slows me down, very frustrating.

When I see people jogging through the streets trying to keep fit, I want to shout at them to stop. Think about the future.

We keep on getting told to keep fit, which is very laudable, but we are never warned of the results in later life.

Derek

Edited by Mrkirtley800

That's OK Kes, but phone me first. Olga and I are laid low with some sort of cold bug. That is the reason why I wasn't at the club last night, thought I was about to fall off my perch.

Derek

Sorry to hear that Derek, I hope you and Olga recover soon. I will give you a ring later in the week. I took the O gauge shunting layout along to the Club last week to gauge reaction - it was well received.

Best Wishes

Kevin.