Midland Railway in EM gauge

Mrkirtley800

Been working on the layout fairly steadily.  The frenetic activity getting the track laid and working has eased off. and we are on to the scenic side.  I have to admit, I don't really enjoy doing a lot of scenic work, much rather build point work.

Anyway, I am still on with the buffer stop end of the station, and as the pics show, have installed the steps and cobbled path leading down from the road and forming passenger access to the platforms.  I have used some Peco embossed sheets for the walls and this needs to be painted to match up with the original stonework on the platform walls.

At the other end of the station, dry stone walling continues, although at a pretty slow rate.  Building walls this way is a bit mind numbing.  I just hope the results are worth it.

Not much else will be done before the festive season, so it just remains for me to wish all on RMW a very MERRY Christmas and a HAPPY NEW YEAR, with hopefully much progress on all our modelling activities in 2016.

Derek

post-6110-0-63061000-1450541455_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-63530200-1450541512_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-11685000-1450541558_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-23378400-1450541606_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-12672900-1450541658_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-88222900-1450541700_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

Thank you for your good wishes fellas.  Kirkby Malham will not see any traffic over the holiday period.  I felt I was getting a bit 'stale' so the break will be welcomed.

I can only repeat my good wishes to everyone and hope Father Christmas has received all our letters, and has not run out of stock.

Derek

• Like 2

Morning Derek,

My Clan motto is 'Sero Sed Serio' - 'Late but in earnest', and so I'd like to wish you and all your family a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year from Joanna and I.

I like others am terribly impressed by your scenic work and think the last set of images demonstrate why. I hope the festive break re-charges your batteries and you can return with renewed enthusiasm! Best wishes for a relatively pain free time,

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 1

Having spent a very pleasant Christmas with family, I haven't been inclined to do much on Kirkby Malham, preferring to read, drink strong coffee and eat mince pies.

However, while at my youngest son's place we did a bit of work and some running on his embryonic '0' gauge layout.

The track is loosely pinned to the baseboard and the buildings card mock-ups, but it all works, and to see his 2F trundling along with a few vehicles in tow did me good.  The weight and size of this scale adds to the effect of unstoppable momentum.

Here are a few rather poor pics of the layout.  The 2F was an etched kit from 4-Track Models, actually one of the late George Norton's products.  1702 is from a Mercian Models kit of a Midland Railway open cab shunter.

It was a delightful kit to build, with many spare etches to cover the closed cab version as originally used on the Keighley and Worth Valley Railway.

I used these spares, together with some scratch building to produce 1726, and finished it in crimson lake (or as Mr.Worsdell forever would call it -- another version of  improved engine black !!)

The fourth loco in the stud, a LNER Y7 0-4-0 is with me, and will have improved pick-ups fitted and some weight added.

Like most models, the layout is crammed into a small area with sharp curvature of the track, but the engines have some side play on the axles and will take the curves.  There is certainly something about this size.

As the old year draws to a close - it does seem to have gone quickly - it just remains for me to wish all the RMWebbers a very Happy New Year.

Derek

post-6110-0-34956900-1451587194_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-63622800-1451587250_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-29029200-1451587314_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-88377900-1451587355_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-56219200-1451587432_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-28936100-1451587476_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your comments fellas, work is still progressing on Kirkby Malham but at a slow pace. This wretched weather has not done any good for my arthritic joints, so can't stand for very long at a time. I have been taking time on the dry stone walls, building them up piece by piece, and will post some pics in due course.

Derek

• Like 1

Not done very much on Kirkby Malham because of previously described problems, however,  I try and do a few minutes a day and this has been spent building dry stone walls.  I have to admit, my walls are more of an impressionist style than an actual scale model.  If you built walls like mine, in reality, they would fall down in no time.

They consist of new stones and those rescued from Canal Road, and still have to be painted and bedded in.

Derek

post-6110-0-43301300-1452446433_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-69853600-1452446486_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mrkirtley800
  • Like 7

Morning Derek,

I haven't got a problem with the walls - all of modelling is after all about creating an 'impression'!

The '0' gauge locos looked lovely. If I had the wealth and space I'd consider it simply on the basis that all the bits are bigger and easier to handle with my old fingers!

Hope the arthritis improves soon my friend,

Kind regards,

Jock.

Yes Jock, there is a lot of appeal to 0 gauge. It's strange that my son, Chris, has decided to go into 7mm after all the the 4 mm both EM and 00 he was familiar with.
It was my grandsons 9th birthday yesterday. When he was six months old, we were staying with Chris and Vicky for a few days. During the time, a parcel arrived, which Chris gave to me with the words "this is your birthday present, Dad, but there is a sting in the tail".
It turned out it was for me to build, paint and get working, but then young Ben would have it. That was the sting in the tail.
It is/was a Mercian Models etched kit, and a delightful kit to build. As it progressed it was tested out on my late friends, 0 gauge layout.
So 1702 was born and seen on Chris's layout in the pics above.
Later, I suggested to Olga that Ben would like a main line goods engine. If it was for Ben it was OK with her, so the kit for the 2F appeared, and was duly built.
Not very long afterwards, Chris's eldest daughter, Ellie, was born, so I built a loco for her too, the LNER Y7 0-4-0, and so it went on.
With each 0 gauge item I built, I became more interested in the larger gauges with their sense of weight and momentum, but with all my EM gauge Midland and. NER stock, I am really committed to 4mm scale.
So back to Kirkby Malham.
Derek

Edited by Mrkirtley800
  • Like 4

So, after a break in which I consumed more mince pies than was good for me, it was back, with some relief, to Kirkby Malham.

I had been building the dry stone wall along the front of the loco facilities, and on Sunday had a blitz on it.  It meant I was standing still for quite some time and my hips and knees locked up.  Boy!! did I know about it on Sunday night.  Anyway, this last few days has seen the wall -- about a third of the length --  painted and dry-brushed and today I have been bedding it in the ground.

During my walling sessions I did a bit of running, and the first passenger train to run between Skipton and K-M ran.  Consisting of 48' low roofed stock (by courtesy of Ratio) and hauled by No,48, Kirtley 800 class 2-4-0.

I would like to say we had a faultless trip, but no.  It was the P/W gangs doing.  When having the boards out to work on, I didn't seat one home.  As a result, the track was not in line and we had a derailment, not only the engine but the whole damned train.  doh!!

That problem fixed the station was reached without further incident.

From the arrival platform, the engine backs the coaches out over the crossover, then draws them into the departure side.  One of the points is not right, I think the clearances are slightly askew as the carrying wheels of the loco derailed.  That will be attended to.  The 0-6-0's negotiate it OK though.

The loco then uncouples and negotiates the crossover at the buffer stops to get to the turn table.  If all this sounds a bit double dutch, see the layout diagram on page 6.

After being turned, with a bit of to-ing and fro-ing we get the loco to the carriages ready for departure.

In a full operating session, milk or fruit vans can be attached.

I took some piccies of the two trains I operated, one using the 2-4-0 and the other a 2183 class (class L) 4-4-0, one of Mr Johnson's slim boilered jobs.  The pics, unfortunately, are a bit on the dark side.  They are fine on the ipad.

Neither of these locos had turned a wheel for nearly two years, and what with the track being pretty dirty, I was pleasantly pleased with the running.

Derek

post-6110-0-69354300-1452799431_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-39728500-1452799480_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-23654600-1452799533_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

Larry, it is Woodland Scenics ballast. It is an equal mix of brown and grey. When I originally laid the track for Canal Road in the late 1980s it was called Ironstone and Limestone. I had to get some new stuff to finish the track on the new layout and bought some more. The problem was that the original had faded over the years and the new stuff stood out like a sore thumb. Anyway, in the morning I will try to take some photos so that you can see what I mean.

Derek

• Like 1