4mm industrial dream scene - just imagine

• RMweb Premium

Hi

We are all familier with those wish lists where modellers or collectors try to justify why their favourite loco should be available RTR. We also know how successfully the ixion hudswell clarke RTR in 0 gauge has been.

The thing is when the mainline boys draw up their wish lists they are at least starting with what's currently or has been available.

The 4mm industrial world has nothing...... Well ok the austerity.

Imagine we could just go and buy something to spare our little burnt fingers.. What would it be.

4 coupled, 6 coupled. Period and industry types.

I guess the manufacturer would want to get the most variants and options out of its tooling. Liveries or even common chassis blocks.

Play the game. What would you want, what should someone make, what would be popular.

Andy

If you include diesels we are starting to get some dedicated industrials with the Hornby Sentinel.

DJM's forthcoming Hudswell Clarke gives us a small 0-6-0.

So an 0-4-0 Peckett for me like an R4.

Importantly I would like a livery variation without owners markings, just a nameplate if need be. We don't all have NCB industrial layouts.

• Like 1

Firstly here's a GA drawing for a 14" Bagnall 0-4-0ST, which (seeing as Bagnall's poached Hawthorn's chief draughstman) is virtually identical to a 14" Hawthorn Leslie and the later Robert Stephenson & Hawthorn design. Also below is a GA drawing for a 14" W6 Peckett that has an identical wheelbase although the Peckett has a different wheel size and pattern, but the other three are so close it wouldn't be difficult to produce all with a standard chassis. All of these designs were widely used across industry and a few even got incorporated into some of the 'Big Four' companies.

post-8705-0-86836400-1422870296_thumb.jpg

post-8705-0-56797400-1422870307_thumb.gif

• Like 6

That's very true Gordon, but wouldn't it be good to be able to draw in the 'lads and dads' market where a nice little industrial saddle tank would make a good alternative to the current paltry offerings. A well researched and accurate 4mm industrial in a genuine livery with plenty of background historical information included would be a good way of encouraging new interest in an undervalued part of our railway history.

A wishlist eh....?

Kit wise I'd like to see:

Barclay 0-6-0ST

Peckett B3 0-6-0ST

Bagnall 0-6-0ST (Ironstone and Preston Docks types)

12" Peckett like an R2 or similar. 

RTR wise, if I was a manufacturer I would be going after:

0-4-0ST 14'' Barclay

0-6-0ST 16'' Hunslet

165hp Ruston 0-4-0

Paul A. 

• RMweb Premium

There is quite a selection of industrial steam available in kit form.

For a rtr how about an 0-6-0 Barclay saddle tank or RSH side tank?

Gordon A

Bristol

I don't disagree but have you seen that the 4mm Mercian range will no longer be stocked.  It looks like Trevor will only produce a batch when demand is sufficient.

That punches a big hole in available Pecketts

Andy

Hi 

High level models do a lot of locos, the thing is they are all kits.

Mind you they are easy to build and very good instructions and almost build themselves, i did one as my first ever kit and was able to build it.

But it would be nice if there was more RTR locos available.

Darren 

I don't disagree but have you seen that the 4mm Mercian range will no longer be stocked.  It looks like Trevor will only produce a batch when demand is sufficient.

That punches a big hole in available Pecketts

Andy

Thats a shame Andy.

However ARC is producing a resin body for an RSH side tank and I think an 0-6-0ST Bagnall, so when one producer drops out another pops up.

Gordon A

Bristol

A wishlist eh....?

snip

RTR wise, if I was a manufacturer I would be going after:

0-4-0ST 14'' Barclay

0-6-0ST 16'' Hunslet

165hp Ruston 0-4-0

Paul A. 

I'll second the 14" Barclay. Very wide distribution, multiple NCB sites plus dock railways, contractors and preservation (scanning potential!). It should be possible to do one with an open cab given the advances in motors so, who's interested- Bachmann, Hornby, DJM, Dapol, anyone?

With great anticipation,

David

• RMweb Premium

I'll second the 14" Barclay. Very wide distribution, multiple NCB sites plus dock railways, contractors and preservation (scanning potential!). It should be possible to do one with an open cab given the advances in motors so, who's interested- Bachmann, Hornby, DJM, Dapol, anyone?

With great anticipation,

David

Sorry, just playing...

I have in the past petitioned manufacturers.

I think it's a no brainier. There are lots of layouts running an austerity on the industrial siding - not prototypical just the only RTR one available.

I personally think a four coupled loco would be the way forward.. You can find four wheeled engines at collieries and power stations but you are unlikely to find a six coupled loco squeeling around some docks.

That is the cue for you all to prove me wrong

Andy

Passenger trains are wonderful but very few have the space to let them strut their stuff. An 0-4-0T can take 1st and 2nd radius curves AND look prototypical into the bargain! But then I guess it depends on what turns your crank.

Cheers,

David

Here's a couple of photos from the Barclay gala at Blaenavon last September to show the variety available just from one common design of Andrew Barclay 14" locomotives (ignoring the blue one which is a 16" Barclay). (photos by Kieron Rigby)

Four Barclay 4 coupled locos together

post-8705-0-65980400-1423069566.jpg

Rosyth No.1 modified with open back cab and rear bunker (with yours truly driving)

post-8705-0-26595600-1423069833.jpg

Two more from a charter at Rocks By Rail

Thomas Royden

post-8705-0-84167100-1423070114_thumb.jpg

A nice open back cab on AB1931

post-8705-0-40345300-1423070403_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Having both fired up the crystal ball and taken a look at my tea-leaves, the future still appears unclear. I would have thought that with Hornby's Sentinel being well received, enough to justify a rod coupled version, that a four coupled industrial steam loco was the logical next step. Despite having my ear to the ground, and an ability to read between lines, I hear nothing. Logic and leaks appear to be out of synch, or maybe I'm just out of touch.

However if I was charged with developing an industrial loco, I might plump for something that would suit both industrial and light railway use. I'd also be thinking that the Cambrian had a couple of Manning Wardles, which would look rather spiffing.

At a tangent, and really, really unlikely; GBL get fed up of copying and decide to do a series of Great British Industrial shunters, diesel rather than steam though and all prototypes that can have the solid cast underparts replaced by black beetles or spuds. Smaller and cheaper to produce than their current offerings, a limited range of prototypes could (legitimately) sport a variety of liveries. Modellers would hoover them up with Hatchette mk1 like enthusiasm, mainly because of the ease of turning something decorative into something functional.

• Like 1

This is the reason why (until now) I've never gotten overly involved in model railways - unless I want to build brass kits, there isn't anything on the market for me. While it's something I'd like to do, I lack the experience and skills to attempt making such a kit - and am also fearful of ruining an expensive kit. The ARC resins kit are a viable option for me (and finding them is why I've decided to start). 

As a Barclay fanatic, I'd happily jump on board any bandwagon calling for the 14" version being made RTR. I may be somewhat biased, but I think that the 0-4-0 Barclays have the best chance of success on the market, due to how widespread their use was and how many have survived into preservation. They're also very attractive designs. 

That said, at this point I'd be happy for any industrial RTR 0-4-0 saddle tank. Just so long as it isn't yet another repaint of the Caley pug... 

Most of the obvious standard gauge steam options have been mentioned - to me at least one from the Barclay/Bagnall/HL/Peckett/RSH 0-4-0ST does seem like the best choice. I'd go for the RSH personally - with Foxfield looking at Eustace Forth, could even be an NRM tie in? I really love the idea of a contractor's MW 0-6-0ST as well.

If the pattern for mainline types is followed, there does seem to be a better chance for preserved locos to get made (which of course applies to most of the suggestions made already), especially well known and high profile ones, so I wonder what chance a Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0T (NVR Thomas), Kitson 0-6-2T (LHJC Number 29), or even a Haydock Foundary 0-6-0WT? No where near as 'useful' in a prototypical sense as the suggestions made previously, but all attractive and well known.

The OP also asked for what we would want - I'd buy most of the above anyway, and they're only really suitable in a colliery setting so probably not first in line, but my favourite industrial class is the Hunslet S100 0-6-0T.

Mike

• RMweb Premium

Most of the obvious standard gauge steam options have been mentioned - to me at least one from the Barclay/Bagnall/HL/Peckett/RSH 0-4-0ST does seem like the best choice. I'd go for the RSH personally - with Foxfield looking at Eustace Forth, could even be an NRM tie in? I really love the idea of a contractor's MW 0-6-0ST as well.

If the pattern for mainline types is followed, there does seem to be a better chance for preserved locos to get made (which of course applies to most of the suggestions made already), especially well known and high profile ones, so I wonder what chance a Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0T (NVR Thomas), Kitson 0-6-2T (LHJC Number 29), or even a Haydock Foundary 0-6-0WT? No where near as 'useful' in a prototypical sense as the suggestions made previously, but all attractive and well known.

The OP also asked for what we would want - I'd buy most of the above anyway, and they're only really suitable in a colliery setting so probably not first in line, but my favourite industrial class is the Hunslet S100 0-6-0T.

Mike

The contractor MW's are soooooo. Tiny. I need a K class for my current project and RT models produce a lovely kit but it is soooo small.

Andy

Most of the obvious standard gauge steam options have been mentioned - to me at least one from the Barclay/Bagnall/HL/Peckett/RSH 0-4-0ST does seem like the best choice. I'd go for the RSH personally - with Foxfield looking at Eustace Forth, could even be an NRM tie in? I really love the idea of a contractor's MW 0-6-0ST as well.

If the pattern for mainline types is followed, there does seem to be a better chance for preserved locos to get made (which of course applies to most of the suggestions made already), especially well known and high profile ones, so I wonder what chance a Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0T (NVR Thomas), Kitson 0-6-2T (LHJC Number 29), or even a Haydock Foundary 0-6-0WT? No where near as 'useful' in a prototypical sense as the suggestions made previously, but all attractive and well known.

The OP also asked for what we would want - I'd buy most of the above anyway, and they're only really suitable in a colliery setting so probably not first in line, but my favourite industrial class is the Hunslet S100 0-6-0T.

Mike

Are you getting confused mike? S100 is a Hudswell.

Most of the obvious standard gauge steam options have been mentioned - to me at least one from the Barclay/Bagnall/HL/Peckett/RSH 0-4-0ST does seem like the best choice. I'd go for the RSH personally - with Foxfield looking at Eustace Forth, could even be an NRM tie in? I really love the idea of a contractor's MW 0-6-0ST as well.

If the pattern for mainline types is followed, there does seem to be a better chance for preserved locos to get made (which of course applies to most of the suggestions made already), especially well known and high profile ones, so I wonder what chance a Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0T (NVR Thomas), Kitson 0-6-2T (LHJC Number 29), or even a Haydock Foundary 0-6-0WT? No where near as 'useful' in a prototypical sense as the suggestions made previously, but all attractive and well known.

The OP also asked for what we would want - I'd buy most of the above anyway, and they're only really suitable in a colliery setting so probably not first in line, but my favourite industrial class is the Hunslet S100 0-6-0T.

Mike

• RMweb Gold

Does it matter if the prototype was widespread or not ? How many model rtr BWTs have been sold compared to the number actually made ?

Ditto the forthcoming Adams Radial.

If any small, industrial loco was made rtr, it would sell.

No connection here whatsoever, but have you seen the Revolution Trains thread & website - food for thought there.

We have two decent industrials in the RTR market. The Hornby sentinel and the Dapol Pug. 

If the RTR market were to try again with something, what would it be? 

Id like to see a Peckett.

The Sentinel is purely industrial but the Dapol Pug is not, it's a 0-4-0ST design of the Lancashire and Yorkshire railway. Do you mean the Austerity 0-6-0ST?, a better example of industrial steam, huge numbers of which saw industrial service.

Does it matter if the prototype was widespread or not ? How many model rtr BWTs have been sold compared to the number actually made ?

Ditto the forthcoming Adams Radial.

If any small, industrial loco was made rtr, it would sell.

No connection here whatsoever, but have you seen the Revolution Trains thread & website - food for thought there.

Yes. I was going to say smething about that but then opted out of posting my original post.

The Sentinel is purely industrial but the Dapol Pug is not, it's a 0-4-0ST design of the Lancashire and Yorkshire railway. Do you mean the Austerity 0-6-0ST?, a better example of industrial steam, huge numbers of which saw industrial service.

Yes. Sorry. Completely forgot about the Austerity. I counted the pug due to its size. Theres a lot you could do with the chassis in terms of modifying.

Though, neither the Austerity nor Sentinel cater to prewar modellers. Some earlier designs would be nice.