BBC News: The Railway Lines Alarmingly Close to the Sea

I have just seen that too - but reader beware, as not untypically the piece tends towards sensation. For example, in the veiled implication that nuclear flasks to and from Sellafield are endangered (is that perhaps in response to the piece, mentioned elsewhere in these threads, that was on Russia Today a little while ago?).  As to the fact (I have to take the writer's word for it) that a couple of breaches did not make national headlines last winter, who is to blame for that, BBC? (Among others)

The slant put on the need for continual maintenance also shows a considerable degree of journalistic ignorance.

Once again, reader beware!

• RMweb Premium

Largs misses out again as it so often does in discussions about coastal railways.  Saltcoats is every bit as vulnerable and as pounded as Dawlish.  And it's 25kV electrified.

it forgot island line in Ryde

Pier Head to St Johns Road only at present too, with a replacement bus service to Shanklin as they are doing a load of maintenance for a couple of months.

I'm over there on Saturday for the first jolly of the year, after a semi-dry January...walking from Shanklin to Ventnor to explore the local pubs (again) should be good if it stays dry.

For example, in the veiled implication that nuclear flasks to and from Sellafield are endangered (is that perhaps in response to the piece, mentioned elsewhere in these threads, that was on Russia Today a little while ago?).  

Given that those flasks can survive being hit by a class 46 doing 100mph, I'd suspect that ending up in the sea probably won't do them much harm. The bigger problem will be the massive fuss created by Greenpeace and other such organisations.

I'm not quite sure what pint the author of the article was trying to make, and I suspect they didn't either. If you really wanted to talk about the risk from the sea, then surely you'd talk about the risk of bridges being washed away with trains on them, as happened with the Tay Bridge and nearly happened to an Irish Rail train a few years back. 

......the veiled implication that nuclear flasks to and from Sellafield are endangered.....

Given that those flasks can survive being hit by a class 46 doing 100mph, I'd suspect that ending up in the sea probably won't do them much harm. The bigger problem will be the massive fuss created by Greenpeace and other such organisations.

I'm not quite sure what pint the author of the article was trying to make, and I suspect they didn't either.

I think the point the author was trying to make, regarding the flasks, was not at all about the danger of them falling into the sea.

Rather the fact that if the line is severed, the main link for transporting nuclear material and waste to/from Sellafield will be lost.

That would cause enormous difficulties.

Last year Network Rail spent £2.3m repairing the sea defences along this line. And as I interviewed those commuters, a deafening reminder of the line's strategic importance came rumbling by - two heavy goods locos pulling a single wagon on which sat what looked like a nuclear flask. This is the line to the nuclear reprocessing plant at Sellafield.

.....makes it very important - and it may become even more important if plans for a nuclear power station next to Sellafield come to fruition. At that point Network Rail's existing policy of patching the line up piecemeal may no longer be sustainable, and parts of it may need serious investment to bring it up to scratch.

Rather the fact that if the line is severed, the main link for transporting nuclear material and waste to/from Sellafield will be lost.

That would cause enormous difficulties.

Not sure about enormous difficulties, it would cause massive inconvenience having to take them up the A595  to/from (let's say) Kingmoor, I accept taking them south to Barrow by road would be a bit more hairy.

Archived