Midland Railway Company

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, billbedford said:

Isn't the signal box hidden by the train?

The thing is, since the mystery photo was posted, someone on the MRS IO Group has conclusively identified the location, and this isn't it.

To put you out of your misery, here's another photo looking the other way, at the true location, but with renewed signalling:

mrhj757.jpg

[Embedded link to Warwickshire Railways.]

There's that mystery platform again.

This section wasn't quadrupled until the late 20s...

Cough, cough...

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 4

22 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Close, but not close enough, I'm afraid. There's no signal box just the other side of that bridge.

Also the tall signal post is between the two fast lines, not between the fast and slow, and there's no sign of the bracketed signal.

Jim

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Halesowen Junction, after, cough, cough, Cofton Tunnel was opened out and the quadrupling extended to Barnt Green.

I was thinking of a former tunnel on the Midland, but couldn't remember anything about it.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, kevinlms said:

I was thinking of a former tunnel on the Midland, but couldn't remember anything about it.

Crofton tunnel just south of Wakefield was indeed opened out to create a very deep cutting with four tracks in it. 

Jamie

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Crofton tunnel just south of Wakefield was indeed opened out to create a very deep cutting with four tracks in it. 

Jamie

Actually I think it is called Chevet cutting but is near to Crofton. 

Jamie

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Jamie

Yes, I knew there was such a tunnel, but couldn't remember the details.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Evidently bad news to be a tunnel beginning with C on the Midland - grave danger of being opened out. Cofton, Chevet; fortunately Clay Cross and Cowburn are still with us.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

12 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Evidently bad news to be a tunnel beginning with C on the Midland - grave danger of being opened out. Cofton, Chevet; fortunately Clay Cross and Cowburn are still with us.

"B" and "L" are not so lucky...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

"B" and "L" are not so lucky...

There was one just north of Chesterfield that was opened out but I can't remember it's name.  The removed earth was deposited nearby and caused problems a few years ago. 

Jamie

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

So where was I this afternoon?

P1680857.JPG

Don't know, but they have a significant weed problem.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 6

Of all the railway companies, the Midland seemed to have the most junction stations set in the "middle of nowhere" or associated with but a small settlement. Trent is the best-known example, but there are so many others with quite large infrastructure: 
Ambergate
Ashchurch

Chinley

Hellifield

Miller's Dale

Plus the one I illustrated above.

Also smaller ones like:
Fiskerton Junction

Hawes Junction

Ilkeston Junction

I'm sure I've missed many others...

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

In my modelling neck of the woods, Mangotsfield immediately comes to mind. They rather optimistically built 6 platforms at this junction station.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

Of all the railway companies, the Midland seemed to have the most junction stations set in the "middle of nowhere" or associated with but a small settlement. Trent is the best-known example, but there are so many others with quite large infrastructure: 
Ambergate
Ashchurch

Chinley

Hellifield

Miller's Dale

Plus the one I illustrated above.

Also smaller ones like:
Fiskerton Junction

Hawes Junction

Ilkeston Junction

Settle Junction station was only open for about a year. The station building was demolished over a century after it closed. 

Clapham Junction had quite a lot of sidings for a small country station over a mile from it's village that had a population of about 200.  Think that quite a lot of colliery and quarry products were exchanged there for dispatch towards the West Coast. 

Hellifield had a lot of facilities, 2 loco sheds, one carriage shed and two large goods yards.  I don't think that L and Y Locos ever worked northwards but there was a lot of  interchange traffic. 

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 3

On 04/04/2024 at 23:49, Peter Kazmierczak said:

That was the "B" I mentioned - Broomhouse. Opened-out in 1969.

Special timetable in operation for the duration (poster in my collection)...

Chesterfield 1969 Broomhouse Tunnelweb.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

Normanton is perhaps the real biggie you've missed - a small mining village between Wakefield and Castleford but the junction of the Manchester & Leeds (later L&Y) and York & North Midland (later NER) with the North Midland and the home to major refreshment rooms with the traditional half-hour luncheon interval for the day Scotch expresses from the opening of the S&C in 1876 to the introduction of dining carriages in 1893.

I can't off-hand think of any places on the Midland that took their name from the railway, unlike Horbury Junction on the L&Y not far from Normanton, home to Charles Roberts Ltd. - though I suppose there must have been a Horbury for the Junction to take its name from.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Normanton is perhaps the real biggie you've missed - a small mining village between Wakefield and Castleford but the junction of the Manchester & Leeds (later L&Y) and York & North Midland (later NER) with the North Midland and the home to major refreshment rooms with the traditional half-hour luncheon interval for the day Scotch expresses from the opening of the S&C in 1876 to the introduction of dining carriages in 1893.

I can't off-hand think of any places on the Midland that took their name from the railway, unlike Horbury Junction on the L&Y not far from Normanton, home to Charles Roberts Ltd. - though I suppose there must have been a Horbury for the Junction to take its name from.

Horbury  is quite an old town.  It certainly predated the railway. Horbury Junction is about half a mile away and down in the valley.  Horbury is famous for having had a vicar who wrote the Hymn, Onward Christian Soldiers. It even proclaims that fact on the town name boards. 

Jamie

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Horbury  is quite an old town.  It certainly predated the railway. Horbury Junction is about half a mile away and down in the valley.  Horbury is famous for having had a vicar who wrote the Hymn, Onward Christian Soldiers. It even proclaims that fact on the town name boards. 

All I know is that half of Lexi's former vicar went to be vicar of Horbury Junction while the other half became a Canon of Wakefield Cathedral.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

How did I forget Normanton? (Not to be confused with Peartree & Normanton...)

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1