Midland Railway Company

I was leafing through the July 1920 Railway Magazine and noted Cecil J Allen's comments on the Midland in 'British Locomotive Practice and Performance', particularly the improvements to MR services in the May timetable. He says "it seems a great pity that those who prefer the Midland route for scenic or other reasons should still be precluded from using these trains between London and Edinburgh; surely the time has now come for withdrawing war-time restrictions of this character!". I hadn't been aware that there were restrictions of this sort and wonder how they were applied?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

It's my (limited by ignorance, as often) understanding that the railway executive wanted the Midland to focus on shifting coal and goods. Restrictions on its passenger services (although it clung on to catering better than most) would seem part of that.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

A second point from E.M. Gass was that he re-stated Churchward's view (from J. Inst. Mech. Eng) that the British loading gauge limited cylinders to 21.5", both outside and inside. He noted that designs had gone to 23" inside but stated that this produced maintenance issues.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Try Silver Tay Models on ebay Tricky. I have an email address as well.

silvertaymodels@gmail.com 

The chaps called Douglas Cook he's done shed plates for Bristol and Gloucester in 4mm for me. I know he does 7mm stuff.

Regards Lez.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I thought I'd posted this, done because 'It was There', but apparently not here. Underlying data is ropey and has a couple of bodged corrections on each line. No wonder the MR didn't want to race the LNWR to Manchester. The MSL/GNR route was 3 miles longer and also went via the Woodhead Tunnel.

image.png.4dd63d23cd133fe9fd6f4ca20c401b73.png

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, John-Miles said:

Can anybody provide any further information about this image please. Also another wagon number for Stephen.

Got the number! See MRSC 10823 and 68597:

10823.jpg

68597.jpg

[Embedded link to catalogue thumbnails.]

Catalogue description for 10823: "Framed photograph of Derbyshire Miners leaving work. Includes Midland Railway truck (No 19834 on rectangular plate)"

and for 68597 "Shipley, Derbyshire. - Derbyshire Miners Leaving Work - Possibly Shipley Collieries train - Peveril Series 580 John Alsop collection A 3947".

From your high-res scan, the lettering on the waist panels of the nearer carriage appears to be E.M.M [???]PLEY COLLIERIES. A bit of googling reveals that the proprietor of Shipley Collieries was Edward Miller Mundy.

https://calmview.derbyshire.gov.uk/calmview/GetDocument.ashx?db=Catalog&fname=D517+Interim+List.pdf,

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, John-Miles said:

They look too clean to be leaving work.

Yeh but when you zoom in they look too dirty to be going on a beano.

Regards Lez.

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, John-Miles said:

They look too clean to be leaving work.

Surely, it has been colourised, so the colouriser would not put in too  much dirt?

Edited by ChrisN
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi guys.

Am I right in thinking that 3F 3435 was the only class 3 tender engine that had rear tender steps fitted? I can only find two photos of 3F locos with rear tender steps and they are both of 3435 and the caption of the first one states that this is the only engine so fitted. Does anyone know different?

Regards Lez.

A mostly-frivolous suggestion. What if the Midland had agreed with the Bristol and Exeter to take over the lease (from the  heavily-mortgaged GWR) in 1849?

This ignores whether the Midland could have afforded it - probably not. Strategy: passengers change at Gloucester and build a trans-shipment goods depot there. Or extend dual-gauge to Birmingham New Street (broad-gauge goods to Curzon Street) if possible (the GWR may have thought it was - I've not looked for comments). The Gloucester to Birmingham seems to have been built using baulk track despite being standard gauge, so the change to mixed might have been eased a touch.

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, DenysW said:

A mostly-frivolous suggestion. What if the Midland had agreed with the Bristol and Exeter to take over the lease (from the  heavily-mortgaged GWR) in 1849?

That was evidently in John Ellis' mind when the Midland subscribed to the South Devon!

And again, it was touch-and-go in 1874 - the Midland and South Western take-over of the Somerset & Dorset, trumping the Great Western's bid, was what finally forced the Bristol & Exeter into amalgamation with the Great Western. The Great Western had been making great strides towards eliminating the Broad Gauge nuisance, so that amalgamation was something of a step back. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 11/02/2024 at 02:12, lezz01 said:

Am I right in thinking that 3F 3435 was the only class 3 tender engine that had rear tender steps fitted?

It's generally unhelpful to answer a question with a question, but here goes anyway. Could it be that 3435 had a tender fitted with a tender cab? This is the rationalisation given for rear steps on 4F 3893 (plate 281 in Essery & Jenkinson Vol. 4.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

And again, it was touch-and-go in 1874

In 1852 the GWR and the LNWR were both so stretched, one by debt, the other by over-expansion, as to send a merger proposal to Parliament. That might have driven the B&E into the Midland's arms.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, DenysW said:

It's generally unhelpful to answer a question with a question, but here goes anyway. Could it be that 3435 had a tender fitted with a tender cab? This is the rationalisation given for rear steps on 4F 3893 (plate 281 in Essery & Jenkinson Vol. 4.

Sadly not both of the photos of 3435 are sans tender cab. The book Dave co-authored on the 3F says that it was the only one so fitted I was just looking for some more affirmation that this is indeed the case. I only ask because both of the Bachmann models of 3Fs I have have the rear tender steps as an add on in the details pack. I find this odd as none of their 3F models are of 3435 but hey ho better too much detail than not enough I guess.

I suppose I could renumber 3205 to 3435 instead of leaving it as it is so I can include this detail, I'll have a look at where it was stationed during my time frame.  

Regards Lez. 

Edited by lezz01
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Does anyone have info on Bromsgrove shed allocations around 1920? Shed Bash only goes back as far as 1935. It mainly seems to be 3F tanks, 3F tender, a 4F and obviously Bertha.

I don't know how different or similar that would have been to the situation in 1920.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

Does anyone have info on Bromsgrove shed allocations around 1920? Shed Bash only goes back as far as 1935. It mainly seems to be 3F tanks, 3F tender, a 4F and obviously Bertha.

I don't know how different or similar that would have been to the situation in 1920.

I've got the shed allocation book that the MRS published some years ago a d will have a look for you. It may be a day or two before I get back to you. As the book is over in the shed. 

Jamie

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
Just now, jamie92208 said:

I've got the shed allocation book that the MRS published some years ago a d will have a look for you. It may be a day or two before I get back to you. As the book is over in the shed. 

Jamie

Thank you very much, that would be great. And I'm certainly not in a hurry 🙂

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I have that as well but it doesn't list Bromsgrove at all. The LMS engine sheds Vol 2 is the same. It has allocations for 1945 but not 1920. Bromsgrove was 4a which was a sub shed of Worcester 4 so you need to find which of Worcester's allocation were subbed to Bromsgrove.   

Regards Lez.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2