Annoying Smelling Pistakes

I've had the same in Tesco's with stock on the sell by date and on a 'BOGOF' offer, IIRC the items were normally about £5 each but were reduced to about £2 so it was £4 - £5 so the items were free plus a £1 in the pocket.

target your shopping trips and those pounds in your pocket really add up, I could by buying a new ready to run tank engine with the money I've been handed to take goods away.

madness!

(a new Hornby pug in the last year from this shopping tactic alone.)

Sainsburys are often reported on UK Hot deals as having pricing errors, typically an item reduced to half price, at the till the half price is listed but then it lists a discount of half the original price which makes the item free. If the discount is greater than half price the same thing has happened apparently with the result the lucky customer gets the item free plus more off the bill! Never happened to me however.

• RMweb Gold

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is too good to be true, or a mistake that will be corrected once the shop catches on .Phil's example in post 51 implies that the original price of £5 is deducted to obtain the BOGOF total, instead of deducting the reduced price of £2. That's clearly a mistake and when the Tescos manager (who reads RMweb LOL) catches on it will be corrected.

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is too good to be true, or a mistake that will be corrected once the shop catches on .Phil's example in post 51 implies that the original price of £5 is deducted to obtain the BOGOF total, instead of deducting the reduced price of £2. That's clearly a mistake and when the Tescos manager (who reads RMweb LOL) catches on it will be corrected.

I doubt they'd fix it even if they saw it. Probably cost more to fix than they lose to it each year.

plus that stock that leaves the store with you along with a pound probably counts as a sale still, which keeps their shareholders happy in the light of just about every supermarket having some kind of cockup lately every sale counts.

• RMweb Premium

The incident I spoke of was a few years ago and not long afterwards notices went up saying offers do not apply to reduced items so Tesco's were aware of it. I saw similar signs in Asda's as well so it was not just in Tesco's that it happened.

Returning to spelling a moment, many years ago, on our way home from school, some friends and I passed a stationery shop that had just acquired a new, expensive, electric sign over the window, proclaiming it as a 'stationary' shop (presumably in contrast to all the other shops which must have been dashing about all over the place). We enjoyed going in and pointing out the mistake.

They actually replaced the thing, it must have cost quite a lot.

Archived