Annoying Smelling Pistakes

• 4 weeks later...

Brand new bus added to our local fleet this week. Factory fresh applied rear advert proclaiming the Barcleycard Arena. And I don't mean a small panel ad. No,we're talking full rear decal.

Formal bound document arrived in the office from a would-be supplier of a multi-million pound contract. It had been compiled by a notionally professional print team. Sadly the word 'procurment' appeared on the cover and every section header and divider.

• RMweb Premium

I was once, and once only persuaded to sponsor my meat suppliers' son in his bid to become the World Stock Car Racing champion.

It was only a hundred quid, to have the name of my pub, the village and the phone number on a prominent part of the vehicle.

The day of the unveiling arrived, a press launch in the car park of my pub.

The Canary Yellow stock car was unloaded from the trailer, and there it was in all its glory.

As a premier sponsor, the name of the pub was there all right. Prominent, too No village, no phone number, nothing nada, etc

I complained mightily, "That's not an advert, that's not sponsorship, that's a bl00dy invitation.

Across the veru prominent rear of the car, in foot high letters, it said

"Plough Inn"

Regards

Ian

I am as guilty as the next of posting before proofreading, but I am not a professional.

When I see spelling mistakes within  a post, I ignore them.

But when a professional entity puts a flashing banner ad at the top of (it seems) every page that I look at with a glaring schoolboy spelling error, I see red.

Hat, Coat....

Regards

Ian

P.S. already reported myself for intolerant behaviour

Ah ha, the Jeremy Clarkson effect strikes again!  :jester:

Phil

I can remember seeing a poster up for a "Dyselxia awareness group" a few years ago. Ooops!

Q - So what does DNA stand for?

A - National Association of dyslexics.

Phil

it dseno't mttaer in waht oderr the lterets in a wrod are, the olny irpoamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rhgit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whoutit a pboerlm.

it dseno't mttaer in waht oderr the lterets in a wrod are, the olny irpoamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rhgit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whoutit a pboerlm.

I was tempted to try fishing, but once I'd been, I found it was a load of carp.

Reminds one of that classic Eric and Ernie 'Mr. Preview' sketch...'All the right letters but not necessarily in the right order' !

There are two errors that really get me vexed:

1 Loco's as a plural. The plural of loco is locos. It is NEVER loco's.

2. American spellings in a UK context: ie "center", "color" etc. It's just wrong.

steve

40 years ago, I once unintentionally wrote "to shew" at work. Okay, so it was already archaic, but didn't deserve a b*ing from my (unpleasant) dept head. As it happened, his line manager took umbrage on my behalf. Knowing that my nasty dept head commuted by rail, he suggested he produce his ticket: upon which was written "Passengers shall shew this ticket on demand".

You know, of course, about the insomniac dyslexic agnostic...

...who lies awake at night worrying whether there's a Dog.

There are two errors that really get me vexed:

1 Loco's as a plural. The plural of loco is locos. It is NEVER loco's.

2. American spellings in a UK context: ie "center", "color" etc. It's just wrong.

steve

There is an argument for loco's as a plural, in that the apostrophe was originally used to show where letters had been missed out.  Similarly, a full stop (US: period) is used to show when the entire ending has been removed, as "loco."   We used to indicate possession by adding "es" (e.g. Johnes book) and, over time, the "e" became an apostrophe.  We still use it in that way for contractions, such as "doesn't".  By that argument "loco's" could be short for loco(motive)s. 

Having said that, I wouldn't do it myself, because it creates confusion with the possessive (e.g. "loco's whistle") and it also seems that "loco" is accepted as a word in its own right (no full stop to indicate abbreviation).  Remember, however, that languages are continuously evolving; our 'rules' today would not have been understood a few hundred years ago and will seem archaic in the future. 

Never say never, where language is concerned  :)

Clocked a genius fault Morrisons supermarket, tils are currently set at several stores so you can leave the store with cash in your hand if you go in at right point and find two matching reduced items, the checkout will still apply multibuy discount, meaning if you can go at just the right time, you can walk out the store with a trolley of shopping for pennies, or in fact for money given to you to take the goods away :) .

• RMweb Gold

Clocked a genius fault Morrisons supermarket, tils are currently set at several stores so you can leave the store with cash in your hand if you go in at right point and find two matching reduced items, the checkout will still apply multibuy discount, meaning if you can go at just the right time, you can walk out the store with a trolley of shopping for pennies, or in fact for money given to you to take the goods away :) .

I don't understand how that works.

• RMweb Gold

I don't understand how that works.

eg Lasagne £4 or 2 for £7 ie normal discount when 2 go through the till means you get £1 off.

End of days products are marked down.  Say they are now £2 each.  In some supermarkets these will go through the till as 2 x £2 = £4 less the £1 multibuy total £3 for a pair of items.

We once had a chicken for 10p in Sainsbury on a Saturday night last minute reduction (still had Sunday closing in those days).  Can't remember the details but it was some kind of multibuy deal.

• RMweb Premium

I've had the same in Tesco's with stock on the sell by date and on a 'BOGOF' offer, IIRC the items were normally about £5 each but were reduced to about £2 so it was £4 - £5 so the items were free plus a £1 in the pocket.

Archived