Annoying Smelling Pistakes

• RMweb Premium

I am as guilty as the next of posting before proofreading, but I am not a professional.

When I see spelling mistakes within  a post, I ignore them.

But when a professional entity puts a flashing banner ad at the top of (it seems) every page that I look at with a glaring schoolboy spelling error, I see red.

Hat, Coat....

Regards

Ian

P.S. already reported myself for intolerant behaviour

• RMweb Gold

Old sales technique, I'm afraid. Put a deliberate 'small' grammatical error in the message, to get it noticed....

or,

"We duz it orl the tyme. I getz peepol cummin in ere wot fink thay now it aul. Theez geezers aulways bang onn abart 'ow they can se a mistaek in the spellin. Then they buys somethin ofus, witch is aurlrite by me."

or,

"I am a web page designer, and English, and the grammatical permutations thereof, is not my first language."

Ian

• RMweb Gold

There was a pub-restaurant near us that for a long time had a big board outside proclaiming that "WERE THE BEST". Usually it's extraneous apostrophes that are the most common problem, but the absence of one here made all the difference! At least the Puffer's one wasn't advertising "bargain's".

And if they are not used it gives a whole new meaning to... I helped my Uncle, Jack, off his horse

I think that's a bit disrespectful to your Uncle, although I suppose it depends on the age difference between you. It implies that you just refer to him by his first name. It's actually much more well mannered to omit the commas. If people have dirty minds that's not really your problem!

Ahhhh...The Great British 'tryping' error.....a continual 'sauce' of humour   :)  

Have a great weekend.

The Senior Secretary in an office I used to work in once refer to her writing machine as a tripewriter. It was a pretty accurate description of her work too!

I don't know if it counts as spelling mistakes but I find it b------y annoying when rmweb , in their front page list of events, use the American date system , MM/DD/YYYY , instead of the tried and tested British system of DD/MM/YYYY !   One can easily try to go to an exhibition on the 3rd of Feb and find it is on the 2nd of March!

Dave

It's down to the US software; no easy way of changing it I'm afraid which is why I force the full entries to have the date entered in the proper format so if you read a calendar entry you will see the right date.

I think that's a bit disrespectful to your Uncle, although I suppose it depends on the age difference between you. It implies that you just refer to him by his first name. It's actually much more well mannered to omit the commas. If people have dirty minds that's not really your problem!

When I once did a course on accounting, the difference between 'helping your uncle ###### a horse' and 'helping your uncle ###### a horse' was presented as the definition of capitalisation.

Edit - hard to believe that 'j a c k  o f f'   and 'J a c k   o f f' have been #####-ised!  What are we coming to???

Of course some people genuinely suffer from issues such as dyslexia so we need to be a bit cautious before criticising. In case you don't know, dyslexia causes you to get your mucking worms fuddled.

I can remember seeing a poster up for a "Dyselxia awareness group" a few years ago. Ooops!

Every letter my local council has sent me for the last few years has featured the same spelling mistake.

It's like they got the paper batch produced without checking they had it right first and now they can't go back.

Hope someone got a telling for it.

Archived