RMweb

Whats your favourite classical music?

PhilJ W

• RMweb Premium

I recommend John Cage's 4'33".......

I've got a copy of the piano version sheet music and have practiced this all the past week. I have it down note and beat perfect for tonight's piano lesson.

I've got a copy of the piano version sheet music and have practiced this all the past week. I have it down note and beat perfect for tonight's piano lesson.

Wow, you must have practised super fervently. The piece is so difficult to play perfectly that even the top flight pianists fight shy of performing it.

Phil

Edited by PGC

Seeing a bit ago there was a mention of famous Belgians reminds me of a composer of Belgian descent Reinhold Gliere. He worked in Moscow between 1920 and 1941 and although a tool of the state his music deserves to be better known. Try the 3rd symphony if you can find a recording.

Mentioned a while ago was the timing of various works. There is a metronome available on the ipad, ticking or silent options available. SWMBO was using it yesterday to get the speed right for an adagio. It does highlight the difference between performances.

Bernard

Seeing a bit ago there was a mention of famous Belgians reminds me of a composer of Belgian descent Reinhold Gliere. He worked in Moscow between 1920 and 1941 and although a tool of the state his music deserves to be better known. Try the 3rd symphony if you can find a recording.

Mentioned a while ago was the timing of various works. There is a metronome available on the ipad, ticking or silent options available. SWMBO was using it yesterday to get the speed right for an adagio. It does highlight the difference between performances.

Bernard

I recall a television programme many years ago where Dudley Moore was being taught the art of conducting an orchestra by George Solti.

There is just one thing I remember above all else from the programme. Dudley Moore didn't know the piece Solti was teaching him to conduct, and he asked Solti at what sort of speed the piece should be taken. Solti's reply was similar to "a musician always feels and knows the right speed". Since hearing this, I have never taken note of the metronome speeds written in music when conducting. Some people argue, for example, that I take the Magnificat from Stanford's Evening Service in C too slowly. However, when hearing the result, my speed is agreed to work and it adds a solemnity to the piece that is often missing in other performances. What most people don't realise is that the service is the last set of Evening canticles Stanford wrote, and they show a maturity and simple elegance in the writing which is nigh on impossible to enjoy if the metronome markings are obeyed, as the piece almost dances along in a most undignified and inelegant manner.

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I recall a television programme many years ago where Dudley Moore was being taught the art of conducting an orchestra by George Solti.

He was a pretty fair pianist as well, though his style would sit better in a jazz related thread

• RMweb Premium

Wow, you must have practised super fervently. The piece is so difficult to play perfectly that even the top flight pianists fight shy of performing it.

Phil

My piano teacher was very impressed with my rendering of that piece today.  :sungum:

• Like 3

My piano teacher was very impressed with my rendering of that piece today.  :sungum:

I trust she was hard but fair about your fingering!     :jester:

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Seeing a bit ago there was a mention of famous Belgians reminds me of a composer of Belgian descent Reinhold Gliere. He worked in Moscow between 1920 and 1941 and although a tool of the state his music deserves to be better known.

Sorry about this, Bernard, but he has no known connection with Belgium. Wikipedia says

Glière was born in Kiev, Ukraine, then in the Russian Empire. He was the second son of the wind instrument maker Ernst Moritz Glier (1834–1896) from Saxony (Klingenthal), who emigrated to the Russian Empire and married Józefa (Josephine) Korczak (1849–1935), the daughter of his master, from Warsaw, Poland. His original name, as given in his baptism certificate, was Reinhold Ernest Glier. About 1900 he changed the spelling and pronunciation of his surname to Glière, which gave rise to the legend, stated by Leonid Sabaneyev for the first time (1927), of his French or Belgian descent.

My favourite composition of his is the concerto for coloratura soprano and orchestra in F minor, Op. 82, that he wrote in 1943.

Edited by Budgie

• RMweb Premium

Phil

He was a pretty fair pianist as well, though his style would sit better in a jazz related thread

So was Les Dawson, he had to be to play so badly, deliberately.

Sorry about this, Bernard, but he has no known connection with Belgium. Wikipedia says

You stick with Wiki and I will stick to quoting from notes with CDs or books.

I know which I place most trust in.

Good to know that at least some body has heard his music.

Bernard

• Like 2

So was Les Dawson, he had to be to play so badly, deliberately.

When young, Dudley Moore was the organist at a church in Dagenham. My Father, who was Deacon for a Baptist church in Barking, went to an ecumenical meeting at the church where DM played - my Father commented on how the hymn singing was very well led with accurate rhythms and all the notes correct, but he was most amused by the improvisations that were most decidedly not of a classical nature! :-)

Les Dawson was a trained concert pianist, and there has been a documentary in which he was recorded playing something such as one of the Rachmaninov preludes, and you don't play those unless you're good.

You stick with Wiki and I will stick to quoting from notes with CDs or books.

I know which I place most trust in.

Good to know that at least some body has heard his music.

Bernard

Rather than trust Wiki or CD notes, does anyone have access to Grove? I'd believe that over either of the other sources!

Phil

Just had a thought, did a search on YouTube and Lo and behold, a clip of the Dudley Moore and George Solti programme I was talking about.

I don't know if the quote I heard is in the clip - I'm watching and listening as I write.

Phil

• Like 3

Just had a further thought and done a search on Google. Apparently I can buy the complete series of Orchestra! (didn't know that was what the programme was called until I started talking about it on this thread) on DVD and CD from Amazon. I am going to do this. Then, when the clip I posted above had finished, in the selection, there was one about the metronome and this is fascinating. It's not he clip I talked about, but shows what he was talking about and what I believe, don't believe the metronome!

Phil

Oh, and if it's good enough for George Solti, it's good enough for me!

Edited by PGC
  • Like 1

As you can see on my Saxlingham thread, I tried to spend some time at the modelling bench yesterday, but because our boiler had failed (it's fixed now!) the room was like an ice box so I couldn't do much modelling and ended up working in the lounge while listening to the Schubert Winterreise recording with hurdy-gurdy that was mentioned quite early in this thread. It's a great recording and one I've recommended to a friend who likes this type of music.

Before I warmed up in the lounge, I did, however, manage to get a few jobs done at the bench, during which I listened to Symphony No 2 by Richard Weitz from the Unsungmasterworks channel on YouTube, which has very quickly become my favourite listening source. I thoroughly enjoyed the piece and will listen to it again. I've also noticed that on the channel there's a mass setting by Ethel Smyth on there. I've listened to the Kyrie - it sounds really good so next time I have a modelling session, guess what I'm going to listen to!

Phil

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhVbZt41sJg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_gdRUcwlQg

Edited by PGC
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Something else in my classical collection that doesn't appear to have been mentioned yet: transcriptions to choral of non-choral works. Some such works are in this collection I've been listening to:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Rather than trust Wiki or CD notes, does anyone have access to Grove? I'd believe that over either of the other sources!

Phil

One thing to remember: once something has been committed to print it is impossible to correct it; issuing corrections on slips to be stuck into those printed works is no guarantee that your copy will have been corrected. There are a lot of errors in Grove.

The reference for Glière's having no connection with Belgium is given as Stanley D. Krebs: Soviet Composers and the Development of Soviet Music, London, 1970, so you'd be better checking that out.

When young, Dudley Moore was the organist at a church in Dagenham. My Father, who was Deacon for a Baptist church in Barking, went to an ecumenical meeting at the church where DM played - my Father commented on how the hymn singing was very well led with accurate rhythms and all the notes correct, but he was most amused by the improvisations that were most decidedly not of a classical nature! :-)

Les Dawson was a trained concert pianist, and there has been a documentary in which he was recorded playing something such as one of the Rachmaninov preludes, and you don't play those unless you're good....

I like to think that Bill Bailey does something similar with music - he clearly has the gift.

Just spent the last two hours at the modelling bench, during which I listened, among other things, to Cyril Scott's piano quintet No 1, Symphony No 3 (The Muses) and Aubade (Morning Sun). The more I hear, the more he's becoming a favourite composer.

Phil

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aDhAgQ5KNw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tR4WvxfgfSE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZqWk6a_qwM

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Not put much on this thread recently, as I've been busy elsewhere. However, today I had the great delight of singing "Lo, the full final sacrifice" by Gerald Finzi in a devotional service for Palm Sunday at Chelmsford Cathedral.

A simply stunning piece of music that really caught the emotion of the day. For the text, see here. One wonders how many composers could write "O soft self-wounding Pelican!" and make it sound wonderful rather than stupid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7h8v_-QiCH4

Phil

• Like 4