Hornby Merchant Navy announced (formerly Facebook leak)

miles73128

I might use one on a troop train or something 

In one of the "Southern Way" magazines there is a nice picture of 21C1 entering Salisbury with a goods train from Eastleigh.   It seems as if in the early days they were based at Salisbury and not entrusted with passenger trains being used on such a service in case of a urgent need to return to the works.

Let's hope there are real pictures of the locos when the Engine Shed comes out later today.  Hornby still saying 19th Jan for delivery.

• RMweb Gold

In one of the "Southern Way" magazines there is a nice picture of 21C1 entering Salisbury with a goods train from Eastleigh.   It seems as if in the early days they were based at Salisbury and not entrusted with passenger trains being used on such a service in case of a urgent need to return to the works.

Let's hope there are real pictures of the locos when the Engine Shed comes out later today.  Hornby still saying 19th Jan for delivery.

Both 21C1 and 2 based at bury could often be found on freight trains when first introduced in 1941, possibly and maybe to do with the so called myth that they were classified as being Mixed Traffic engines to gain permission for their build in wartime conditions, but also and very much more likely whilst teething issues were sorted out. 
These freight services from the information and pictures I have seen were mainly fitted freight services (mostly vans) between Eastleigh, Southampton and Salisbury. 

After the official naming of 21C1 at Eastleigh she ran a special train to Alresford on the mid Hants comprising of three coaches one being a restaurant car and another a Directors saloon. Other test trains comprised of ten coach rakes. 

The Hornby magazine this month shows TWO train formations 21C1 pulling pullmans in the immediate postwar years - which is not correct as the loco had changed much by then.

The review has 21C1 and Clan Line - two almost opposite ends of the batches and life as an original. I say almost because before being BR re-invented, they had the safety valves moved backwards (Hornby have tooled this too, but not part of the initial batch).

A cutaway photo shows a flywheel and meaty motor and apparently it pulls, pulls, pulls. So realistic wheel slip.

Edited by JSpencer

• RMweb Gold

Hornby have confirmed via Social Media that there will be no new Engineshed blog today as they have been on the road recently visiting retailers.

The Hornby magazine this month shows TWO train formations 21C1 pulling pullmans in the immediate postwar years - which is not correct as the loco had changed much by then.

The review has 21C1 and Clan Line - two almost opposite ends of the batches and life as an original. I say almost because before being BR re-invented, they had the safety valves moved backwards (Hornby have tooled this too, but not part of the initial batch).

A cutaway photo shows a flywheel and meeting motoir

I agree the Pullman formations were post war and as you say not technically correct for the condition in which 21c1 and 3 are being issued in.

To read about the variations and suitable applicable dates of the Hornby first four releases see my blog here https://grahammuz.com/2016/12/10/talking-stock-35-original-merchant-navy-pacifics-Hornby-initial-variations-in-detail/

Edited by Graham_Muz

On the eastern section ,boat trains including the Arrow to Folkestone/Dover from Victoria. On the western section,Waterloo-Bournemouth-Weymouth and Waterloo-Salisbury-Exeter. I have a feeling also that they may on occasion have worked to Oxford from Bournemouth on inter regional trains

Allocations were to Nine Elms (70A) Salisbury 72B,Bournemouth 71B,Exmouth Junction 72A,Stewart's Lane 73A and Dover 74?

True, but my quip was in response to a comment about a (air smoothed) MN pulling a single coach.  I doubt if that ever happened… but it might have, I suppose !

• RMweb Gold

True, but my quip was in response to a comment about a (air smoothed) MN pulling a single coach.  I doubt if that ever happened… but it might have, I suppose !

Sorry,I misunderstood.If you decide to run it with a single coach rest assured,there's no one still around to contradict you....

Other workings that Merchant Navies were not used on if it could be avoided,

were the Waterloo / Southampton docks boat trains.

For the simple reason that 'Cunard White Star' could find itself hauling a train to

meet the ship of a competing company!.

Thus the SR, BR(S)  avoiding an egg on face situation.

• RMweb Gold

Having had a look through my various tomes of Merchant Navies, I was able to find a number photographs of interesting workings:

• Shunting freight & empty coaching stock
  • Station Pilot
  • Hauling a local service (3 coach set)
  • Semi fast service with ex-LSWR stock
  • Hauling Milk Tankers

Just had an email from Hornby to say that British India Line 35018 - due to be released later this year, will now be Nederland Line 35014 - Early BR. Nice to see that Hornby have realised there are a number of names/numbers they have not used before.

Edited by Bulleidboy100

• RMweb Gold

Just had an email from Hornby to say that British India Line 35018 - due to be released later this year, will now be Nederland Line 35014 - Early BR. Nice to see that Hornby have realised there are a number of names/numbers they have not used before.

That suggests they didn't want to get involved with those details which were unique to 35018 as the pioneer rebuilt loco.

John

• RMweb Gold

Having had a look through my various tomes of Merchant Navies, I was able to find a number photographs of interesting workings:

• Shunting freight & empty coaching stock
  • Station Pilot
  • Hauling a local service (3 coach set)
  • Semi fast service with ex-LSWR stock
  • Hauling Milk Tankers

If you want the real hum-dinger, go for what regularly appeared as the 8.00am Axminster-Exeter Central stopper. 

Merchant Navy, tender first, hauling a set of BR non-corridors borrowed off the Exmouth branch service.

John

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

That suggests they didn't want to get involved with those details which were unique to 35018 as the pioneer rebuilt loco.

John

Clacks pipe work, front sandboxes and the conduit on the right-hand side of the boiler are the offending details

• RMweb Gold

Updated on their website as well - I believe it's the first time a Modified MN with the 5,100gl tender on an Early Crest has been released.

Just been looking at Rails of Sheffield and they are selling one with TTS at £174.50 and one with out TTS for  £162.00, so just for £12.50 for sound and DCC.?

Darren

Edited by darren01

That's a shame I was going to buy 35018. I just wonder if Hornby are missing a trick here with the real loco just about to renter main line service again. I wonder if they could of sold more models of 35018 against 35014 from people how have travel behind 35018.

• RMweb Gold

That's a shame I was going to buy 35018. I just wonder if Hornby are missing a trick here with the real loco just about to renter main line service again. I wonder if they could of sold more models of 35018 against 35014 from people how have travel behind 35018.

My guess is that they have arranged for this loco to be produced from the existing tooling and found out about the oddities of 35018 too late to do anything about it.

John

Sad.

The differences are trivial.

Those who saw this first rebuild on its trials will never forget the visual impact it made. Rebuilt 35018 is an iconic loco really.

It was fortunately preserved and is being restored. Will the restorers bother with these few non-standard items?

I sometimes think the current culture of competing to be first to point out to the manufacturers these small differences when models are announced, who then feel pressured into changing their plans, just restricts the range unnecessarily.

Just my view.

• RMweb Gold

Sad.

The differences are trivial.

Those who saw this first rebuild on its trials will never forget the visual impact it made. Rebuilt 35018 is an iconic loco really.

It was fortunately preserved and is being restored. Will the restorers bother with these few non-standard items?

I sometimes think the current culture of competing to be first to point out to the manufacturers these small differences when models are announced, who then feel pressured into changing their plans, just restricts the range unnecessarily.

Just my view.

But it's not a new model - just an existing model with a new running number. And I'm sure at the time Hornby hadn't realized 35018 was unique. So to make this version would require changes to tooling and manufacture which would increase costs and hence the price. Would enough people pay the higher price to enable Hornby to recover those costs?

A similar issue happened a few years ago when Hornby announced they would produce the Urie King Arthur as 30755 The Red Knight, only to subsequently discover it had straight smoke deflectors which the existing tooling didn't have.  So the model came out instead as 30737 King Uther.

Edited by RFS

Is this referring to a Rebuilt Merchant Navy, as (I believe) this thread is about the Air Smoothed Merchant Navy.