peco pl11 point motor

markb

Yesterday i brought my first point motor whooo! :) i followed the instruction's from peco an conected it to a peco switch and trouble is it buzzes then move's only one way? I re checked every thing an still does the same an trip's my controller.

Im not great with electric's might be me having a moment ! Appricate any help an advice thank's mark

2 things:

1. The switch must be a passing contact switch as you only want to blip the solenoid, not power it indefinitely else it will burn out.

Note: buzzing is the noise it usually makes just before it burns out.

2. 3 wires - In (positive) - out one way - and out the other way. Check you have them the correct way round.

I did stop rather quick when it buzzed! The shop did seem to think the switch is correct for point's does have point's an signal's on the little instruction sheet.

I will try swap them around see what happen's . There is red ,green an black from the motor.diagram show's red from point's to peco switch going to right hand terminal an then red wire from middle terminal to power source.left terminal from switch to the black point wire. An finaly green from point motor to power source. Hope that make's sense ! It's a bit new to me thank's mark

Points motor wiring colours have strangely not held to convention over the years and various point motors from the same manuf have had different wiring colours.

A simple check with a meter on continuity will soon confirm which is common and which are the outfield wires.

A picture is worth a thousand words so google Brian Lambert and look at his points wiring page.

Check connections..Peco use red and black for the two operation feed wires (Normal and Revese) and green for the return.

Use idealy a 16 volt ac power supply rated at approx 1.0 Amp wiring one terminal to the point switches middle wiring tag. Connect the motors red and black wires to the two outer wiring tags on the switch. Then connect the motors green wire to the other 16v ac supply terminal.

Note; only use passing contact levers Peco part number PL26 or Hornby black levers R044. Alternativly use a toggle switch which is of the sprung to centre off type often shown as (On)-Off-(On) or use two momentary press to make non locking push buttons per point motor or even Stud and Probe. For one motor you don't necessarily need a CDU. But if you want to use one then you'll only normally need just the one. It's wired in circuit after the power supply and before the first lever / switch.

Note a CDU is not recommended to be used with Hornby R044 point lever due to the way the levers contacts make connection inside the lever, but are fine with all other switches or the Peco PL26 levers.

I recommend all wiring throughout be in at least 16/0.2mmequipment wire or 0.5mm2 flexible wire.

Thank's i'll google brian lambert an have a read an a look. The switch i have is a green one with a white lever an is apparantley a pl26 not sure if colour make's a difference as i see black one's at the shop today too?

AFAIK the colour is immaterial. Its the PL26 part number that's important. This means it's a passing contact type for use with Solinoid point motors like the Peco PL11 etc.

You don't need to Google my web site. Just click on the link in my signature line

Ahh i wasen't to sure on if colour made a difference thought i would ask to make sure :) i didn't realise it was your website ! I'll click your link :) thank's for that

Mark

Bit of a update wiring is as should be so took the motor off. it only like's moving one way an not both direction's . All move's nice an freely . Im running out of idea's except a faulty motor ?

Ahh thank's only just joined yesterday so reading so much stuff ! I don't have a cdu on mine will that make much of a diffrence? Im quite new to this so sorry for asking so many question's !:)

I'll forget the cdu idea :) still being a pain to get to work i decided it was best to leave it alone last night after the day i had too . I'll check alignment an thing's again tonight :)

Archived