Who wants a newly tooled Class 91?

DaveClass47

The Class 91 poll  

255 members have voted

1. 1. Are you content with the level of detail on the current tooled Hornby Class 91 locomotive and MK4 DVT?

2. 2. What features would you like to see on a retooled Class 91 and MK4 DVT 00 gauge locomotive?

• Full DCC motor to modern standards (in the Class 91 Locomotive)
    • Super detail body shell with etched grilles, flush glazing etc
    • Retooled Bogies
    • Working Head and Tail lights
    • Working Pantograph
    • Detailed interiors
    • NEM Close couplers
    • Sprung opening cab doors
    • Sprung buffers
    • Options within the tooling for sound fitting
  3. 3. Would you be interested in adding a Class 91 to your layout?

• Yes, the current model is fine for me
    • Yes, but only if its re-tooled as the current model is out dated.
    • No, I am not interested in this model.
  4. 4. What liveries would you like to see a newly re tooled Hornby Class 91, Mk4 rolling stock and MK4 DVT released in?

• Original Intercity Swallow Livery
    • GNER
    • National Express East Coast
    • East Coast Trains (currently released by Hornby - 2015 Catalog)
    • New Virgin East Coast
    • None
  5. 5. What other Electric locomotives do you have on your layout?

• Hornby Class 91 (current tooling)
    • Hornby Class 90
    • Bachmann Class 85
    • Heljan Class 86
    • Hornby (Ex lima) Class 87
    • The New Bachmann Class 90 (tick if you have a pre order for this item or intend to purchase - due for release in 2015))
    • none

• RMweb Premium

I can't see a new tooled Class 91. If you were going to do this you would need to similarly upgrade the Mk4s and DVT. That's a large investment , for what would become an expensive train to buy and I just can't see it would make a return.

What might make more sense is a limited upgrade to model with front/rear lights. I'm rather struck by the new Virgin East Coast "coke can" livery. I think that would make an ideal flagship for a revamped Railroad range, Along with their existing 66 with TTS and maybe the 156 in a myriad of colourful liveries. Attract youngsters into the hobby with models they can see on the current railway  rather than superannuated steamers (excepting Tornado , of course)

I can't see a new tooled Class 91. If you were going to do this you would need to similarly upgrade the Mk4s and DVT. That's a large investment , for what would become an expensive train to buy and I just can't see it would make a return.

What might make more sense is a limited upgrade to model with front/rear lights. I'm rather struck by the new Virgin East Coast "coke can" livery. I think that would make an ideal flagship for a revamped Railroad range, Along with their existing 66 with TTS and maybe the 156 in a myriad of colourful liveries. Attract youngsters into the hobby with models they can see on the current railway  rather than superannuated steamers (excepting Tornado , of course)

It's best we talk about how many want a Class 91 set and not about the tooling costs at the moment. There are many ways to get the necessary funding. It's better if you join the topic if you want one rather than be discouraging to those do want one. It is a possibility.

Edited by JBM

Disagree that retooling the whole train is a non-starter. The 'tech' is there from the Mk3 DVT. You are really talking about 3 new models (Cl91, Mk4, DVT), with common bogies/wheels. Bodyshells of Mk4s are identical, except for the Buffet. Detail variations throughout history are limited (in terms of structural/external changes), so really one 'slide' needed for buffet and its roof, plus another for the TSO(E), and then three different interiors (Std, 1st, buffet). I would assume that interior decoration would be genric and wouldn't necessarily expect interior colours to reflect IC/GNER/Mallard refurb conditions.

So you are not talking about Mk1 coach range level of varient complexity.

Then again, if the 125 has not had new coaches to date....

To echo what has been said elsewhere, the longest serving front line ECML motive power and no decent 21st century model of it...

Edited by G-BOAF

• 3 weeks later...

Whilst I'm not aching for an up to scratch 91, I do own a Inter-City liveried Hornby example with a couple of coaches and van.

I model Leeds area late '90s and having de-motored the 91 will tow the set behind a RES flavoured 47, no knitting required! In that respect the Xmas cracker/toy train Stealth is just the job. I'd think twice about binning the motor on a £100+ model.

I probably would buy a new tooling 91 set though, best wishes getting one to market, but not top of my wishlist I'm afraid.

C6T.

Just seen on Kernow and Rails of Sheffield Facebook pages that the latest grey East Coast Mk4's are now in stock and that they feature tinted windows.

A pity that the Flying Scotsman Train Pack ones (including the additional coaches) weren't similarly treated.

AT least they matched as a rake unlike the MK3s !! 

Hi,

Are you referring to the Western Region Blue Grey MK3, that started off by releasing the Standard Open coach R4445A in 2013 and then after a much delayed release, they brought out the 'matching' 1st class R4445A, TGS R4446A and Buffet R4603 all with the newly tinted class?   But have since not had the wisdom to bring out the Standard coach with the new tinted glazing?   That really pee'd me off.   I am still waiting for them to announce this coach (R4445B?)...maybe in the 2016 catalog!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Dave, thank you for posting George Dents article.  I have a very basic edition 91, 6 coaches, and driving car that I would like to detail.  I'm looking for a suitable drive mechanism to replace the 90's Ringfield type.  North West Short Line may have one or I may be able to use a Kato or Atlas drive.

Brent

• 2 weeks later...

Just looking at the DVT for the EC and it appears (sample on Hattons) that one side is printed Fast Coast    SMH  :nono:  :nono:  :nono:

Oh really? God forbid!!

I will have a look at my one when I arrive home and see. If it is wrong then they should be recalled..this isn't just a simple error in the livery, it's a product fault!

But let's not get angry until we've checked it on the actual model lol

Rails have posted a photo of the correct side JBM.

Hattons both

http://www.ehattons.com/98176/Hornby_R4668_East_Coast_Trains_Mk4_DVT/StockDetail.aspx

Looks a glaring error to me.

Neil

Rails has shown both the left and right hand side. Image 1 is the left hand side which sows EAST COAST and image 2 is the right hand side which also shows EAST COAST.

Hattons has shown primarily the left hand side which shows FAST COAST and only one on the right had side and that shows EAST COAST.

The image on the Kernow also shows the left hand side and that also shows EAST COAST

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/51001/R4668-Hornby-Mk4-Driving-Van-Trailer-number-82229-East-Coast.

So I think I have a valid point about about Rails posting an image of both sides and Kernow has an image of what apparently is the wrong side but shows the perfectly correct EAST COAST.

I am not blamming Hattons but this really seems to be a funny scenario. Could it be that the Mk4 DVT was made in two batches and one had an error? Or was it a simple botch-up?

Edited by JBM

• RMweb Gold

You might have a valid point about the Rails and Kernow images, but certainly not Hattons. So has anyone got one of these models and can confirm the East/Fast decals? Does Hattons have a preproduction image later corrected on the production models? Or do a proportion of the models have an error?.

Neil

Looking closely I can make out the start of the bottom part of the E, I suspect it's a rub off of part of the decal in handling for this particular one rather than a batch issue.

Indeed you can actually see part of the E.... it has probably suffered some scratch or paint removal. I cannot blame Hornby for this because after much thought I realized that most probably the same tampo print would be used to apply the EAST COAST branding. The DVT body would most likely be flipped to apply on either side. If it seems correct one one or both sides in other pics then it's most probably a paint chip.

Probably just another false alarm and no reason really to bring Hornby down over this.

Tut tut! All the same, I'm not greatly concerned. My ancient IC 225 will soldier on until Hornby produces a Mk. IV DVT to the standard of the Mk. III, a full-blooded 91 with lights, central motor and dangly bits on the front and preferably coaches to match. Hornby has already "lost" the 59, the 90 and others and will lose more unless the new, and welcome, productivity is pointed in the right direction.

Tut tut! All the same, I'm not greatly concerned. My ancient IC 225 will soldier on until Hornby produces a Mk. IV DVT to the standard of the Mk. III, a full-blooded 91 with lights, central motor and dangly bits on the front and preferably coaches to match. Hornby has already "lost" the 59, the 90 and others and will lose more unless the new, and welcome, productivity is pointed in the right direction.

For 4 years I was behind Hornby to re-tool their Class 90. And for 2 years I was behind them to re-tool the Class 59. The old management never listened. However I hope the new management does listen. Though I shudder to think it's too late.

Still in terms of AC electrics I think Hornby still has a great chance with the Class 86, Class 87, Class 89 (Railroad maybe?) Class 91 set and the Class 92. Not to mention that Hornby also has a chance to do some nice DEMU's like the Class 110, Class 142 and Class 156.

For 4 years I was behind Hornby to re-tool their Class 90. And for 2 years I was behind them to re-tool the Class 59. The old management never listened. However I hope the new management does listen. Though I shudder to think it's too late.

Still in terms of AC electrics I think Hornby still has a great chance with the Class 86, Class 87, Class 89 (Railroad maybe?) Class 91 set and the Class 92. Not to mention that Hornby also has a chance to do some nice DEMU's like the Class 110, Class 142 and Class 156.

If they're going to re-tool their existing models they may need to get their fingers out before other manufacturers step in. The selection of 'available' diesel and electric classes that aren't already done to a good standard is diminishing.

Really cant see a Class 89 being Hornby territory even as Railroad. I'd love a Class 89 in both Intercity liveries, but I wouldn't be interested if its to the standard of the Hornby 90 and 91. Its got to be hi-spec or nothing for me.

I'd be amazed if Realtrack didn't follow up their fantastic Class 143/144 with a Class 142