UK versus US sleeper spacing - O Gauge Track

Jeff Smith

I want to add a standard gauge (GWR) exchange siding to my O-16.5 Welsh based layout. I live in the US so although PECO BH Code 124 flexi-track is available the minimum quantity is 6 pieces, I only need 1. PECO BH Set Track is not available. This is a non-operating scenic item that will have a couple of wagons parked on it.

My question is, is the sleeper spacing different for US track to UK track - I'm wondering if I can get away with using heavily ballasted flat bottom track from a US manufacturer such as Atlas or Micro Engineering?

Hi Jeff

yes, the spacings are different.  Peco is much more like US than UK!

suggest you could use US track, and adjust the sleeper spacing to UK practice, but according to the info I have, FB rail was only introduced in 1946 and then only on main lines. 

if you can't buy a single length or a few bits and join them (perhaps second hand at a show or off eBay) then perhaps buying the rail, and chairs, and cutting sleepers from ply or card - C&L supply rail and chairs, other suppliers can do rail.

Try the Gauge O Guild, there seem to be a few US folk on there, someone might be able to help

HTH

Simon

• RMweb Gold

Flat bottom (a.k.a. "vignoles") rail was in use prior to 1946. It was fairly common on standard gauge light railways.  The interchange siding could be the last remnant of a former light railway taken over by the GWR.

I would try spreading the US track sleeper spacing out to a scale 30" or even 33" centres and see what it looks like.  The rail would be somewhat on the heavy side though, if it's anything like the Atlas O gauge track.

Code 100 rail spiked to wooden sleepers would look very "light railway" and do the job just fine.

Mark

Hi Jeff if you intend to go heavy on the ballast etc you will getaway with the Flatbottom rail try the Peco HO/OO code 100 use the rail only and spike it down or as you in the U.S. Micro Engineering do a range of rail by the single unit lenght and sell the spikes and their are several company's in the US that supply ready cut sleepers not to the full size of a UK sleeper but may save a lot of work cutting individual sleepers .

As a cheap and cheerful track Gauge use a small block of wood and cut two groves the size of you rail this will be enough to lay a section of track like you are after.

If you decide to go the US commercial track why not cut the linking web between the sleepers to get a better look plus to get the correct spacing like has been done here. Link http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_02_2015/post-17317-0-99605300-1423870619.jpeg

Finally photos of some Peco code 100 rail spiked to timber sleepers on my Australian APA box Micro in Oscale

post-14985-0-56379200-1425509049_thumb.jpgpost-14985-0-21882700-1425509383_thumb.jpg

Peco Code 143 flatbottom is also a good alternative to the local O gauge track brands in the USA.

I believe Micro-Engineering make O gauge R-T-R track with Code 100 rail. practices vary from place to place, but it seems that a spacing of anything 2'0" to 3'0" was possible on light railways. When I was making up some track for a light railway I decided to space the sleepers at 20mm intervals, purely because it was easier to mark out than 21mm intervals!

Archived