• RMweb Premium

It looks like the first (possibly only, depends how we get on) could be at Mickleover, Trent Valley Narrow Gauge Group event, Sat 30 Jan 2016. If so it will be the third layout I have debuted there, its a friendly event.

That's now a confirmed booking but I'm just waiting for a bit more information from some of the other exhibitors before I start a new topic with the full details - for now book the date !

Mike

• RMweb Premium

Here is a little very low cost road vehicle project. I had this Matchbox Model T Ford which had seen better days. It is not an accurate model of the prototype but a reasonable resemblance and close to scale. Pictures of T's show they were adapted in all sorts of ways. So I based this on a prototype from a web photo.

I drilled out the rivets to separate the body and floor pan, and shortened the body to the front seat area.Then reassembled and built a pickup rear section and front bench seat from wood. Here is what it looked like.

post-14654-0-92327600-1450515603_thumb.jpg

After repainting with black and dull red acrylics and staining the wood sections it looks like this.

post-14654-0-05817400-1450515671_thumb.jpg

post-14654-0-45833000-1450515687_thumb.jpg

It will serve as a pickup around the loading dock for now. That windscreen surround looks too much like a rollover bar for a mudplugger so may get changed.

More from Coxheath Sidings later as there is plenty of pre-Xmas traffic being shunted and some interesting workings.

Dava

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

The period before Christmas sees the warehouse and loading dock down Coxheath Sidings busy with seasonal traffic.

Here Santa and a truckload of goodies are shunted into position...

post-14654-0-60477900-1450791803_thumb.jpg

In the background vans of seasonal cheer are  being loaded.

post-14654-0-93937900-1450791817_thumb.jpg

A special train with an ex-GE fruit van being despatched for the city.

post-14654-0-89315100-1450791830_thumb.jpg

Just as well we have that new Terrier for all this shunting. But an engineering possession for track maintenance over Christmas is in store.

Dava

• Like 2

For some reason your thread had passed me by until last week, another cracking little layout and now that you're back in this continent, look forward to seeing your layout at Mickleover in January.

Your terrier looks very much at home in the layout.

Cheers,

Andrew

• RMweb Premium

So whilst Mrs Dava was distracted with cake baking and suchlike today, off to the workshop before and after final shopping duties...

Marc Smith helpfully suggested scenic treatment to soften the transition onto the sector table, so this area has been ballasted.

post-14654-0-21300600-1450981667_thumb.jpg

It does look better. Maybe some grass and weeds will help too.

post-14654-0-82193500-1450981696_thumb.jpg

This view (slightly rushed it seems) also shows the new screen on the viewing side of the sector table. This and other backs of buildings etc. were all painted this afternoon. Quite a lot of small scenic filling-in work has been done too. All part of the smartening-up before it goes on show.

post-14654-0-70541300-1450981731_thumb.jpg

That's all for now. Maybe some figure fettling & painting over Christmas?

Dava

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

More progress of a seasonal nature down Coxheath Sidings. The fascia  board in front of the sector table got painted to match baseboard sides etc., and now looks a bit neater.

post-14654-0-54624600-1451162281_thumb.jpg

Whilst looking for something else I came upon the wooden wine box containing an errant P class. This was given a test run and duly failed. So parked in a siding in disgrace whilst Bodiam shunted in the background, a pretext to photo a P and Terrier together, with rather dodgy depth of field. Totally anachronistic since Bodiam  had been long rebuilt into an A1x by the BR era. Note the lampless buffer stop, a minor safety hazard tackled next.

post-14654-0-36009600-1451162296_thumb.jpg

I make oil lamps out of strip wood, cut to length with sprue as the lamp top, then Bling paste gems added as the lens.

post-14654-0-39635000-1451162309_thumb.jpg

When fitted they're quite convincing.

post-14654-0-57764300-1451162324_thumb.jpg

Visitors arriving tomorrow but hope to sort out figures and details for painting. 

Dava

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

A quick last look at Coxheath Sidings in 2015, in the workshop this morning, showing the whole microlayout.

The Terrier is dismantled for detailing and weathering.

post-14654-0-63627600-1451588425_thumb.jpg

Thanks to all those who provided welcome suggestions & encouragement, especially during some testing & wintry times earlier in 2015.

All the best & happy modelling for the New Year.

Dava

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Like many others, back to work tomorrow.  In the gaps between catching up on things I meant to do/should do, I've been doing some weathering and workstaining of 'Bodiam'. The results will, predictably, appal those who consider 'out of the box' the natural state for a model loco, but they probably never cleaned a real one either. My intention was always to finish this loco in the slightly travel-weary state it adopted whilst working in the employ of the Hon. Col. H.F.  Stephens, typical of the poorer version of the early 20th century light railway.

So most of the brass and copper work has been darkened, the cab interior restained, and quite a lot more. This is not an airbrush job as I don't have one! Some of the work below the running plate will be toned down further. The artificial light tends to brighten the effect. Small details yet to apply and the chosen driver awaits his paint job. As ever, the process leads one to appreciate the fine detailing of a RTR model such as this.

post-14654-0-95987400-1451848233_thumb.jpg

Dava

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Looks very good David! Cab interior looks much better than the lovely(!) colour it was supplied in - will have to try and do something similar to Crosby in readiness for the Mickleover show at the end of the month.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Andrew,

Please introduce your good self at Mickleover, the same goes to any other RmWebbers.

Dava

Edited by Dava

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

As with much of the Midland and North we had a dusting of snow overnight, but nothing to compare with the snowstorm conditions which resulted in this project being created in Canada last February.

I'm preparing Coxheath Sidings for its first (and possibly only?) appearance at the Mickleover 7mm NGA Trent Valley Group open event on 30 Jan. I'm working on some of the details such as figures and tools which will be on it. It can be a little boring and I'd rather have someone else to paint figures for me, but here is the workspace in front of the layout with a collection of figures, wheeled items, tools and the inevitable loco buckets being worked up. I tend to do this as a collection of items as it simplifies painting.The buckets take longer than anything else as they're made from coke can metal. The piglet is probably not going on the layout but got painted anyway.

post-14654-0-26079500-1453036732_thumb.jpg

In the meantime a collection of locos sit patiently on the shelf; only three of these will be having a day out.

post-14654-0-00916600-1453036789_thumb.jpg

Now back to work on administrivia...

Dava

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Final preparations for Coxheath Sidings' appearance at Mickleover this Saturday have been under way - say hello if you visit this friendly event. 

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/106748-7mm-narrow-gauge-mickleover-derby-sat-30th-jan-2016/&do=findComment&comment=2179652

'Bodiam' is now kitted out with the necessary bucket (required on all steam locos), oil can, driver and shovel.

post-14654-0-05730500-1453980165_thumb.jpg

Shunting in the loading dock which is now detailed and staffed (including black cat)

post-14654-0-68307000-1453980190_thumb.jpg

The Branch Line Society ran a railcar special!

post-14654-0-18328700-1453980224_thumb.jpg

Now to pack up for the event.

Dava

• Like 9

David,

It was very good to see your ever so cute micro layout this afternoon, for only one point and 6ft long you seemed to have a lot going on and the source of much thought to myself on micros. I particularly liked the level of weathering on the Terrier and Fowler, that's the best looking Fowler I've seen. I'm going to have to buy one.... Few oil tankers and I will be away, micro here we come !

John in Lichfield

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Good to meet you John, and others at Mickleover, an enjoyable day & good to be back.Coxheath Sidings did quite well.Left with ideas for future layout project...some way off I think.

Dava

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

After the excitement on the GCRN seeing the prototype HST power car, 

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/99474-great-central-railway-news/page-6&do=findComment&comment=2202633

It was back to the workshop for the first time I've done any modelling in two weeks since the Mickleover event, firstly for some brewing therapy and then to see if the errant P class tank could be persuaded to run.

This loco has had a chequered history since being bought as a bit of a dog from GeeDee models four years ago, then totally dismantled, stripped, reassembled, given a MSC motor and drive, but never running acceptably. One of the root causes has been the Gladiator spring pickups which have been very difficult to adjust for reliable operation.

So off with the side rods, out with the front wheelset, then pickup adjustment and cleaning the scale on the wheelbacks. Having seen this the trailing wheels came off for a clean too. Once reassembled, it does run better but rather too fast for my liking (a 1:34 gear ratio). It will have further test running and at last have a driver fitted.

post-14654-0-69479800-1455479557_thumb.jpg

Coxheath Sidings is stored in its two sections at present so the other half is on its side behind the loco!

Dava

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Its exactly a year since the ice fall and wrist fracture which kicked off this microlayout project and thread. So I'd just like to thank everyone who made suggestions, replied, liked the posts, or just visited for your support as it was much appreciated, especially whilst in Canada last year.

Its another busy time at work without much modelling - just a card mock-up of a battery electric loco - but hope to be back in the workshop soon. Coxheath Sidings may even make it to another small show. No offers yet!

Dava

Its exactly a year since the ice fall and wrist fracture which kicked off this microlayout project and thread. So I'd just like to thank everyone who made suggestions, replied, liked the posts, or just visited for your support as it was much appreciated, especially whilst in Canada last year.

Its another busy time at work without much modelling - just a card mock-up of a battery electric loco - but hope to be back in the workshop soon. Coxheath Sidings may even make it to another small show. No offers yet!

Dava

There is a show offer from my good self.

• Like 1