• RMweb Premium

There is a show offer from my good self.

For which thanks Andy, and I hope to be at your Weston on Trent show in November.

Dava

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

So yesterday I went a-shopping at the G0G Spring event in Kettering (first time in two years), armed with a list. Duly returned with,  amongst other items,   parts for various loco projects - axleguards for the battery electric loco (next on the list), a motor-gearbox combination for the Drewry 04, and 14mm wheels for the 'Yorktown' Peckett which I plan to build at some stage. And, for  some reason, 12 yards of previously owned flexitrack.

I passed up on the chance to acquire either of a couple of rather sorry L&Y 'Pugs' requiring attention, but did happen upon a nicely built brass NER K  Class, or Y8 as it became in LNER days, at a reasonable price. I have a Y7 in the 'kits to build' box but had always fancied one of these as just about the smallest LNER steam loco, so a purchase was quickly made and it traversed the test track twice, one in each direction.

Off came the body when it came back to the workshop for a clean. The motor has a 5 pole armature so it may be a Romford Bulldog or similar, not an X04.

post-14654-0-03671200-1457274307_thumb.jpg

Then the layout had to be set up for shunting trials, which were most satisfactory.

post-14654-0-74964300-1457274317_thumb.jpg

It will require minor attention to the paintwork, and numbering as LNER 560 in due course.

An enjoyable day out. 

Dava

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I've just suggested to the G0G that they should feature more microlayouts at their (mainly trade stand) events. I offered this one for the Doncaster event in June but was told 'no room'. I'll bet there will be a six foot gap somewhere...there were at Kettering. It just feels those events (and other like Bristol and Reading) are all about consumption and retailing, not really about sharing the results of modelling activity.

How about a microlayout-only show? John Foynes, who runs the Woodthorpe show at Sherwood, was interested in the idea at the Nottingham show last weekend. Having seen some (frankly disappointing) big layouts at recent shows, I'm back to 'small is beautiful', or at least disposable if you dont like or get tired of it!

A school/church/village hall with a bunch of small layouts and a friendly atmosphere is what I find most enjoyable...like Weston on Trent, Mickleover, etc.

Dava

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Randall and very interesting to see your Maenol Mine thread, I  must have missed this first time around!

Dava

• RMweb Premium

There never seem to be the ideal period road vehicles which are actually in scale for 7mm layouts. Oxford Diecast have introduced an Austin 7 Saloon and van which are ideal for 1930's-50's layouts.

Here is the green saloon, bought from GeeDee models today. I'll wait for the next set of liveries before buying the delivery van.

post-14654-0-72927100-1459023817_thumb.jpg

Dava

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

There is a condition known as lococentrism I've commented on before, when all you see are the locos not the railway. Even more extreme is locoholism where there is a compulsion to own the things, either in model or prototype form (possibly both if you're Pete Waterman!). 

Anyway the Directors of the industrial light railway owning Coxheath Sidings decided to run an Easter Steam Gala for local locoholics, with no fewer than 9 locos thronging the sidings!

Here we see the small Peckett 1287 in front of the line's two diesels, and the recently acquired Y8 ahead of the two Sentinels. There also appears to be the makings of an Austin 7 owners gala!

post-14654-0-97774600-1459179616_thumb.jpg

A side-on shot of the shunter fleet.

post-14654-0-11299600-1459179639_thumb.jpg

Meanwhile the running line and headshunt host the fleet of 0-6-0 tanks, with the Hudswell Clarke running past the Terrier and the P Class by the buffers.

post-14654-0-76702500-1459179658_thumb.jpg

After all the locos had been returned home. the Y3 shunted the obligatory wagons.

post-14654-0-39096800-1459179681_thumb.jpg

So you can see where this lococentrism (or worse) can lead...you may think a 'shunting plank and one loco' is all you need, but they add up!  Two of these locos had not been unwrapped since returning from Canada until today. The Hudswell ran perfectly, straight out of the box. Then there are two railcars (one operational) which would have been too big for the party. And I'm avoiding acquiring those which are just too big and heavy for my purposes, which excludes the Dapol 08 and Peckett E Class. 

I also have 4 unbuilt loco kits (guilty conscience box) and a scratchbuild in progress. And  a resurrection of a Slaters Manning Wardle to attempt.

The P Class tank loco is now on the transfer list, it runs well with a MSC motor/gearbox but needs a longer run. Though I am thinking about how to use the 20 or so yards of flexitrack I seem to have in stock [garden not an option!].

Dava

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Hi Dava,

If you don't mind me asking (and apologies if I have missed it), how long is the sector plate?

Cheers!

The sector table is 49-50 cm long [cut on a slant at the buffer end] so it will take 3 wagons or 2 + a loco on either road

Despite being made of lightweight corrugated plastic [reinforced with same] it works quite well

Dava

The sector table is 49-50 cm long [cut on a slant at the buffer end] so it will take 3 wagons or 2 + a loco on either road

Despite being made of lightweight corrugated plastic [reinforced with same] it works quite well

Dava

Thanks Dava that is great - helps me in my planning.

I am going to get hold of some foamboard to try a similar lightweight baseboard, but I've always been skeptical as to whether it would be robust enough for a sector plate or traverser. I did make a very successful (in terms of portability!) 009 layout from 5mm a few years ago and it works fine when adequately braced, however the significant weight of 0 gauge (compared to 4mm narrow gauge) stock might be a problem. I'm going to experiment though, probably with a tiny diorama testpiece, maybe only around 90cm long in total; hopefully will get that going in the next couple of months. 

Cheers again,

David

• Like 1

Thanks Dava that is great - helps me in my planning.

I am going to get hold of some foamboard to try a similar lightweight baseboard, but I've always been skeptical as to whether it would be robust enough for a sector plate or traverser. I did make a very successful (in terms of portability!) 009 layout from 5mm a few years ago and it works fine when adequately braced, however the significant weight of 0 gauge (compared to 4mm narrow gauge) stock might be a problem. I'm going to experiment though, probably with a tiny diorama testpiece, maybe only around 90cm long in total; hopefully will get that going in the next couple of months. 

Cheers again,

David

I am part way building a 4mm micro layout the baseboard is built out off foam board but braced on the outside by mounting card.The back scene is braced on the edge by 40 thou plastikard. I have found Resin W interior glue the best to stick everything together. 

Malcolm.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Time for a quick update from Coxheath Sidings. I had started building the English Electric battery loco which has been mentioned in other threads. This was paused awaiting gears from Ultrascale which arrived yesterday, they obviously have a good system for fulfilling orders but allow 3-4 weeks. Any way I now have an operating motor bogie though this had a few design changes along the way, and have built the frame structure. Photos later.

Off to Crich Tramway Museum for the day as the oldest tram Mrs Dava has been on was the last batch built for Nottingham so we need to explore the delights of vintage tramdom. I did manage to get to the South Notts show at Cotgrave yesterday, a friendly show with some interesting small layouts & lots of cheap books & magazines.

Dava

• RMweb Premium

We had a really enjoyable day at Crich today, the sun shone, you could ride on an open top LCC tram, Blackpool Boat or Leeds tram,  everything was beautiful.  Part of the aim was  to  get some photos of the English Electric loco 717 from Blackpool, which was sitting in the shed within view.

post-14654-0-74496900-1460920887_thumb.jpg

This will help with detailed work on the battery electric loco I'm building. There are other threads [links below] on the EE electric locos but I'll cover the build here from time to time as it will be running on Coxheath Sidings. 

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/105711-english-electric-spondon-no-1-no-2-electric-locomotive/page-2&do=findComment&comment=2231473

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/83442-battery-electric-locomotives/page-2&do=findComment&comment=2253696

One of the limitations of Gauge 0 compared with other scale/gauges I've modelled in is the lack of an available, affordable motor bogie unit  on which you can build assorted critters to enliven your layout. Much of my early teens was mis-spent concocting card and later plasticard structures to fit on a growly old Triang 00 motor bogie from a Blue Pullman set. Various types of Sentinel, diesel shunter, electric and even a tram were created. In 0 Gauge, unless you count the LIMA motor bogie if you can find one [running variable] you either buy  something pretty expensive or make your own, which is where this project started.

A few weeks ago as an Easter project I built the chassis block from 60 thou plastic sheet, ordered the 40:1 gears from Ultrascale, and did other things till they arrived yesterday. 

post-14654-0-79257800-1460920917_thumb.jpg

I had designed it around the excellent Roxey 2'9" diesel wheels and axle bushes, a motor from Captain Kernow, and 2 sets of gears, but a design error on my part meant that the motor wouldn't fit within the gear diameters. As no other motor I had available would fit either, I decided to build it driving onto one axle. With enough ballast it will easily shunt 2-3 wagons around. I could use a Delrin chain drive and if it was going under a railcar or something more heavyweight I would do this and the motor would be vertical.

Anyway after a couple of hours fitting it together, making a motor mount which sits on the floor section, making PB strip pickups and wiring it correctly, it looks like this. 

post-14654-0-32346000-1460920937_thumb.jpg

More to the point it runs slowly and well, and I can get on with the body over the next few weeks. Point proved that a 7mm scale motor bogie is not too difficult or costly, but I'll check gear sizes more carefully in future!

Dava

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Continued confessions of a locoholic....

I'm still building the EE battery electric loco. Hope to mark and cut out the body parts later today. The footplate structure was done a couple of weeks ago. Working on the details.

In the  meantime, an impulse purchase, this 85A models Hunslet 15" 0-6-0ST came up and I didnt take long to think about it, they don't make them any more. I have always liked this design as more compact and attractive than the later 'Austerity'. The NCB North Yorks area painted theirs in red, South Yorks were lined green, so we'll see.

Hopefully it will arrive towards the end of the week.

post-14654-0-07042800-1462179865_thumb.jpg

Dava

• Like 1

Very interesting thread, thanks Dava. I worked in Coxheath for 11 years before I retired, and I thought I knew it well but I never found the railway. (That's Coxheath, Kent, just south of Maidstone.)

• Like 1

Continued confessions of a locoholic....

I'm still building the EE battery electric loco. Hope to mark and cut out the body parts later today. The footplate structure was done a couple of weeks ago. Working on the details.

In the  meantime, an impulse purchase, this 85A models Hunslet 15" 0-6-0ST came up and I didnt take long to think about it, they don't make them any more. I have always liked this design as more compact and attractive than the later 'Austerity'. The NCB North Yorks area painted theirs in red, South Yorks were lined green, so we'll see.

Hopefully it will arrive towards the end of the week.

attachicon.gif22718-Hunslet Loco2.jpg

Dava

Must say I'm impressed with the motor bogie, well done. Also well done on the "impulse" buy, as you say a nicer design than the later Austerity.

Regards John.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the comments,

Coxheath Sidings was named after where I started building it, the district of Coxheath, Nova Scotia. No actual railway in that district either.

I've cut plasticard for the EE loco body and hope to assemble next weekend.

Dava

• RMweb Premium

Pleased to receive a well packaged 85A models Hunslet 0-6-0ST at work today (after a breakfast presentation on something called 'The Midlands Engine' which appears to be driven from Birmingham by an accountant and starts rather late after bacon & sausage cobs).

Anyway this engine was rather more interesting, and on being unboxed, ran rather stiffly but after being cleaned and run in a bit has started to loosen up. Its interesting to see what British leading-edge enterprise-sector RTR plastic locos were like  in 1992-3, complete with original box and instructions, it certainly has its attractions. I'd never seen one before. Even now its nicely detailed. It is remarkably light and could do with some lead in the boiler/saddle tank but it appears to be very securely welded up and the chassis does not remove. Suggestions welcome on this point.

post-14654-0-80337300-1462395440_thumb.jpg

post-14654-0-74211900-1462395488_thumb.jpg

I am rather attracted to this loco being repainted in NCB North Yorks dark red  at some point, and it obviously needs the usual details of driver, bucket and tools adding.

Dava

• Like 1

That 85A Hunslet looks so at home ! Well spotted, I would have been sorely tempted if I'd seen it for sale to put a bid in. We have recently started taking the dog for walks at Chasewater and I'm trying very hard to avoid turning this micro I'm building ( yeh right !) into a Chasewater style model. It's the combination of small steam locos, a green 08, a working North British diesel, 3 coaches of which are class116/7 dmus centre cars in maroon and I think the biggest collection (5 ?) HAA wagons parked in the bay that does it :-)

They even have one of these ! http://www.chasewaterrailway.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/10484209_685774951510255_4540788588701138499_o.jpg

Resist,resist, resistance is futile......aarrrggghhh.

Seriously it looks really good !

John.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just a note without photos, that the parts for the EE battery electric loco are nearly all cut out. Progress has been slow with the advent of the gardening season and being away at a conference last week. I'm taking some holiday in Fife later this week so plan to take the model parts with me  and hope to assemble them! There dont appear to be any railway events in Fife this weekend but hope to drop in on the KFRPS in Leven.

Dava