• RMweb Premium

What with work, travel, outbreak of gardening and other activities, I've had very little time for modelling in recent weeks. Even the battery electric loco project has stalled. 

A recent visit to the Midland Railway Centre after the Derby Exhibition showed this Ruston LBT which has seen better days.

post-14654-0-52435900-1464604357_thumb.jpg

I've been thinking about a 7mm narrow gauge microlayout as a side project from Coxheath Sidings. I have a range of narrow gauge bits in 009, 09, and 012, which have seen better days on other layouts going back decades. What to do, or what works?

Just to add another gauge, I've done some experimenting in the workshop with 014 which has the advantage of being prototypical to 2 foot gauge and has some trade support, not least from KB Scale who have supplied a packet of items.

Before this arrived I took this long-suffering Hibberd 'Planet' which has run in both 09 on Irton Road and 012 on Coney Hill, and subjected its ancient Bachmann chassis to yet another regauging to 014. It does run. There are also some regauged wagons on a short test track. The display box behind  has a collection of 09 and 012 locos, most with mechanical ailments or bits dropped off.

post-14654-0-65551700-1464604369_thumb.jpg

We'll see what happens!

Dava

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Time for an update, not that much has been done.

Just for an evening, and no longer, this thread is going to revert to its title of 'Easy low-cost micro layout baseboard ideas' as we savour a glass of Red and listen to the delights of Magnum's ''13th day' booming on the hi-fi behind me on this rainy summer evening...

Back in the workshop, or rather the loft above, I unearthed a baseboard which used the frame of an 009 layout dating from 1980-ish and a ply top added after the layout was scrapped 15-ish years ago. It was going to be 0-12 with a curved siding to a mine adit - which will be retained. Effectively free.

Next to it is an IKEA door which cost £3 in the bargain corner. They had longer ones but they were much heavier.

post-14654-0-63056800-1465589439_thumb.jpg

The trial bit of 0-14 track and stock converted so far on the baseboard.

post-14654-0-65026000-1465589459_thumb.jpg

The baseboard placed with Coxheath sidings behind.

post-14654-0-59232000-1465589475_thumb.jpg

That's it for now. I'm off to Sweden tomorrow for a working break (yay - proper Europe except they still have the Kroner!),  leaving the rainy UK behind (+ Queens Birthday, grumpy politics etc). Next weekend is the GCR model weekend. I think progress on this will be slow but I'll doodle a track plan and get started over the summer.

That's 'Shadow Town' on the CD now, makes me think of Sydney, NS.

Cheers!

Dava

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Simon,

indeed, it is of course one of your Simplexes [yet to be motorised], and I did ask you at Derby about a 014 wagon turntable! If you make it I'll buy it.

Dava

• RMweb Premium

The GCR Model event yesterday was very enjoyable, I did the morning on the GCR stand and viewed the exhibits in the marquee at Quorn and the model engineering at Rothley and Loughborough yesterday. Many very good layouts. However Colin French packed most delight into a small space with his Wagon Works, which I like very much.

post-14654-0-32232200-1466369000_thumb.jpg

Today I was able to spend a couple of hours in the workshop so the body for the EE Battery Electric loco has made some progress with the cab & bonnets fabricated.

Coxheath Sidings will be making one of its rare public appearances at another Great Central model event soon - the GCR North

Model Railway Show at Ruddington on Saturday, 30th July 2016 - Sunday, 31st July 2016: more details as announced.

The only other firm event will be the Weston on Trent show  on 12 November [thanks Andy!]. Given the rather limited operating potential and fragility of the structure,  these may well be the only public appearances! Unless you ask nicely, of course.

Dava

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

The GCR Model event yesterday was very enjoyable, I did the morning on the GCR stand and viewed the exhibits in the marquee at Quorn and the model engineering at Rothley and Loughborough yesterday. Many very good layouts. However Colin French packed most delight into a small space with his Wagon Works, which I like very much.

attachicon.gifWagon works.jpg

Today I was able to spend a couple of hours in the workshop so the body for the EE Battery Electric loco has made some progress with the cab & bonnets fabricated.

Coxheath Sidings will be making one of its rare public appearances at another Great Central model event soon - the GCR North

Model Railway Show at Ruddington on Saturday, 30th July 2016 - Sunday, 31st July 2016: more details as announced.

The only other firm event will be the Weston on Trent show  on 12 November [thanks Andy!]. Given the rather limited operating potential and fragility of the structure,  these may well be the only public appearances! Unless you ask nicely, of course.

Dava

I live in Norfolk so see Colin's layouts at a lot of local exhibitions but never tire of them. They are an inspiration of how you can have a small O gauge layout.

• RMweb Premium

Much has happened since the last update from Coxheath Sidings. A close family member was taken into hospital and after five days in end-of-life care,died a week ago, so I've been busy with all that brings and the funeral arrangements for next Friday. Then the result of that referendum. Not an easy time.

So it was finally this weekend I managed to have some therapy time in the workshop. The English Electric battery loco has been the recipient. The body assemblies have been fabricated, but not detailed or fixed together. But the little loco runs quite well on test.

post-14654-0-19892800-1467577938_thumb.jpg

So I hope to have this painted and running for the GCRN event at Ruddington at the end of this month. The layout will be getting a refresh as well before then.

Meanwhile the GCRN were having a diesel gala with the prototype HST power car 41001 + 3 restored trailers running today.

post-14654-0-13690800-1467578268_thumb.jpg

Dava

• RMweb Premium

Modelling has definitely been of a therapeutic nature this weekend after the family funeral last Friday. The battery electric loco now has most of  the details either available or added,  including brakes and sandboxes. It seems to take a long time not to  do very much.

I hope to get it finished ready for painting in the next week, and then to work on the layout prior to the GCRN event  at the end  of the month. I'm impressed to see how the Ruddington event is shaping up with its own thread: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/112567-gcr-ruddington-model-rail-show-3031-july-2016/&do=findComment&comment=2364678

Dava

• RMweb Premium

This is a bit of an experiment as I'm not normally keen on photos taken with flat panelly devices, but here is an image from the hole in back of t'ipad. It shows the battery electric loco with most details, including drawing pin & tube buffers, brakes, steps, lights etc fitted. The body components are not yet united, thus the gaps.

Having seen the image, apparently taken in HDR, I'm still not convinced. Painting starts tomorrow. Also a start on prepping the layout for Ruddington in 2 weeks.

post-14654-0-35846300-1468622389_thumb.jpg

Dava

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

This weekend I've been able to disengage from work & other matters which have been burdensome of late, and start prepping Coxheath Sidings for its appearance at the GCRN model event next weekend at Ruddington.

Various bits of maintenance and enhancement have been done, including adding details and refreshing some scenic work, others quite invisible.

post-14654-0-94661400-1469390756_thumb.jpg

Here the Y3 shunts the busy loading dock.

post-14654-0-71260200-1469390781_thumb.jpg

And passes the timber yard.

post-14654-0-68392700-1469390840_thumb.jpg

The Y3 and 'on-hire' Sentinel CE ex-Derwent Valley Light Railway pose together.

Meanwhile the Battery electric loco has been in the paintshop and having a few nefarious trial runs...but that's for another occasion. 

Dava

Edited by Dava
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Martin,

The BE loco has been painted and after glazing & detailing will be ready for the weekend event. I'll take some photos & do a write-up after that.

I've been painting figures as I needed loco crewmen. I paint figures in groups as its more productive than doing them singly. The layout now has its name on the little fascia board, with a G0G 60th anniversary sticker.

Dava

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The story of today is that I had a dental appointment for root canal work on a tooth that's been causing me grief for months. It turned out to be cracked, u/s & had to be removed, ouch. Not sure if I'm more relieved to avoid the surgery or regret losing the tooth. The dentist said go home & put your feet up for the day, so I rested my feet on the bottom shelf of the workbench & finished the BE loco for tomorrow. Test runs nicely.

post-14654-0-05228500-1469809684_thumb.jpg

Also packing the layout up, loco wheels cleaned & boxed. We'll be in the reception building at Ruddington GCRN. I may not have much to say as the mouth still hurts!

Dava

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The story of today is that I had a dental appointment for root canal work on a tooth that's been causing me grief for months. It turned out to be cracked, u/s & had to be removed, ouch. Not sure if I'm more relieved to avoid the surgery or regret losing the tooth. The dentist said go home & put your feet up for the day, so I rested my feet on the bottom shelf of the workbench & finished the BE loco for tomorrow. Test runs nicely.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Also packing the layout up, loco wheels cleaned & boxed. We'll be in the reception building at Ruddington GCRN. I may not have much to say as the mouth still hurts!

Dava

Are you going to add sound? I'm trying to find a Youtube clip of a preserved one in action, an eclectic mix of gear whine and clicking of the contactors.

• RMweb Premium

Phil,

There's a video here of the Manchester one

Mine sounds rather like a vintage tram in its analogue state so will stay like that for now. I can now alternate diesel, steam & electric outline on the layout but I like the new one so expect it will run quite a lot this weekend.

Dava

Love the battery loco ( how often do we see one of these modelled ?) but sadly events conspire against a trip to see it working:-(

Hope to see it at the next ( last ? Hopefully not ) show. Have a good day.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

There were more people dropping by today with some interesting conversations and the event seemed well attended. 

post-14654-0-40666900-1469987456_thumb.jpg

Here is a shot of the newly delivered BE loco,  paint very shiny, the timberyard foreman scratches his head at the newfangled thing but at least it won't drop hot coals in the sawdust!

post-14654-0-76226600-1469987472_thumb.jpg

The layout at the event. The BE loco is looking a bit more workstained now.

post-14654-0-29856100-1469987489_thumb.jpg

The  maker of this 6 wheel coach kindly made it available for some demo runs and for display during the day. It is the same type as the beautifully restored GCR 946. The restoration on this and the first 'Barnum' coach are very interesting projects.

Coxheath Sidings will be taking a break over the summer, with its next outing due in November, in the meantime I have to catch up on some other projects.Not least, tidying up the workshop and study zones before building anything else.

Dava

• Like 3