MARSHFIELD with ELY BRIDGE HIGH LEVEL

retroman

Since I last posted the layout has undergone a rebuild.

The depot area has been cleared and ELY BRIDGE steelworks now occupies the site.

2502111.jpg

2502114.jpg

2502112.jpg

2502115.jpg

2602111.jpg

MARSHFIELD depot now occupies the opposite side of the layout, with this Traverser as the centrepiece.

100_2304.jpg

100_2306.jpg

• Like 6

Cracking layout smile.gif Love all the blue diesels - reminds me of my spotting days when I was a kid. Wish I'd had a camera back them.

Looks like a really fun layout to operate, with the added advantage of just being able to watch trains go round and round - wish I had the space!

Thanks Jules.....

The steelworks is complete bar a few finishing touches, which I hope to complete by the end of the week.

The small 'box controlling the yard also bears a BSC sign now ...

0103112.jpg

0103113.jpg

The yard throat from the other direction. S&T staff at work on some felled telgraph poles.

0103114.jpg

0103111.jpg

Nothing is wasted with model railways ... a pile of scrap from my parts bits.

0103115.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks Stuart. It's slowly coming together.

A couple more locos have been weathered.

37238, an NB Immingham monster back in the day .....

372385.jpg

372386.jpg

33019 runs light past the steelworks complex.

330196.jpg

330194.jpg

330195.jpg

The other side of the layout, where scenic work is sparse!

330192.jpg

• Like 2

I really like this layout, lots of lovely Blue locos and weathering especially good! As an aside a number of books in my book case on BR blue locos which I use for inspiration orignated with yourself Dave, I think I brought them of the Ivor and co on the Growler Group sales stand at a Gala a few years back.

I really like this layout, lots of lovely Blue locos and weathering especially good! As an aside a number of books in my book case on BR blue locos which I use for inspiration orignated with yourself Dave, I think I brought them of the Ivor and co on the Growler Group sales stand at a Gala a few years back.

Thanks Rob

AAAARRRGGGHHH the great book cull, carried out during the years when I lost interest in the railway following the withdrawal of the 50s!! I regret getting rid of them now, but I'm glad they have gone to a good home and are being made use of.

I've spent a fortune replacing books that I gave away to the Growler Group!! DOH!!

Hi Retroman,

Layout is looking good,B) The weathering on your locos is looking good so far, locos seemed to get quite dirty back in the 80s, 3 done how many more to do?:D

Cheers Peter.

Hi Retroman,

Layout is looking good,B) The weathering on your locos is looking good so far, locos seemed to get quite dirty back in the 80s, 3 done how many more to do?:D

Cheers Peter.

....... this many ......

unrefurbedlineup.jpg

• Like 3

Hi Peter, I do plan to have a good-sized stud of Vacs, but they are not cheap (a mate of mine has SIXTY!!!).

Anyway, a few more weathered locos have entered service.

25054 enters Ely Bridge exchange sidings with a short load of wagons for the coal yard.

250543.jpg

In the headshunt.

250542.jpg

Dropping back into the coal yard.

250545.jpg

250541.jpg

Having dropped of her load, the 25 draws forward. The crew will be baling out for a cuppa in the crew room.

250546.jpg

Meanwhile, on the mainline, 37207 approached with a train of china clay from Burngullow to the Staffordshire Potteries.

372072.jpg

372071.jpg

St Blazey were hoping to have their loco staight back, but the controller at Severn Tunnel has sent the loco on a trip to Ely Bridge.

372074.jpg

This is a limited edition Kernow Models Bachmann 37. I've fitted the etched nameplates, frostgrills and snowploughs.

372073.jpg

Next on the workbench is this lovely Hymek, D7042. I've already fitted the bufferbeam detailing and added a crew.

HYMEK6.jpg

• Like 4

Hi :)

Nice big layout! I especially like your 'weathering' that on the 33' and 37's - you have your own unique style. I take it you use some kind of 'wash' and then remove the surplus thus leaving the staining around the detail?

Bill.

Nice,:D you should have them done by the end of the week then.:lol: :lol: thought you would have more 50s and 33s.;)

Cheers Peter.

Hate to think how long it gonna take me to do mine! 15 Peaks 8 class 37's 6 class 25's 2 class 31's 2 class 47's 2 class 40's

EEEEK!!!!!!!!!!!!! :O :o :O

Nice layout Dave,

Luv the pics an i see you've picked up weathering fairly quickly then kida this is good thou looking at your buildings which are superb by the way shows you've done this b4 but i think you've captured the muck & grime just right as for this time period yes there were some mucky beasts out there fela.

Cheers, Rich.

Hi Retroman,

I know what you mean even Hornby 50s on special aren't cheap. I only have the one but then they weren't common on the North Wales Coast.:D I knew a few 50 bashers back in the day and between them they had all the 50s plus extras as the both liked 50008 and 50149. I renumbered and weathered a few of them. one of my mates still has a few though has never been interested in building a layout.

Your 37207 looks great not to much weathering, though if controller keeps finding it jobs, it might be going back covered in grime.:D I am sure Eastleigh would like their 33019 back too, I know the western region did like them but they nearly always came back to EH needing a bit of work.;)

The Heymek looks good too, the ploughs suit it.B) I think at this rate you will have all you locos done by the end of the month.:lol: stock next.:D

Cheers Peter.

Thanks for the very kind comments.

I'm having a short break from weathering locos for now. Apparentley there are other things going on in the world!

I've had some fun photographing the Hymek at work. Here she overtakes 25054 at Bute Tunnel Junction.

2103111.jpg

In Retro's imaginery world the Hydraulics lasted well into the 1980s, which made this photo possible.

2103112.jpg

The Hymek is tripped to Marshfield Goods Yard to collect an oil tanker.

2103115.jpg

The rail-road crane has recently been removed from the old depot site to the yard.

2103113.jpg

The Hymek waits for 37238 to pass light engine before exiting the yard.

2103114.jpg

The next day an ASLEF dispute results in all of this motive power being marooned at Ely Bridge for the day ..... excellent!

2103116.jpg

2103117.jpg

2103118.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 months later...