MARSHFIELD with ELY BRIDGE HIGH LEVEL

retroman

Thanks for the kind comments, as the layout is imprisoned in my attic it's always good to get feedback.

I have more-or-less finished the viaduct and its associated corner of the layout.

Before ....

viaduct1.jpg

Now, a week later.

viaduct6.jpg

viaduct2.jpg

This photo shows that some repairs are needed to the section to the left of the fuel tanks. Incidentally, this raised area will shortly be a Territorial Army centre ... I've bought in a selection of Airfix military vehicles from the 1970s (a Saracen, a Scimitar tank, a couple of Bedford 4 Tonne trucks and several Landrovers). This is a nice little project to keep me going when the attic gets too warm to be comfortable.

viaduct3.jpg

viaduct4.jpg

37238 rumbles past the new structure on the Down Slow.

viaduct5.jpg

• Like 5

• 6 months later...

I have now installed the Traverser, which is is a fab piece of kit. There was one at Newton Abbot depot, a throwback to the days when the depot had its own works. I have now worked out how to programme it properly and had great fun with it. I needed to shim the access roads so that locos move onto the bridge smoothly.

I have also installed all the depot roads off the Traverser and connected them to the DCC power bus. An overall view: the access road comes in from the right: the fuelling plant is to the right of the traverser in this shot, with the stabling point to the left.

depot4.jpg

Overall view, showing how less cramped this space is compared with the old depot. There will be two roads accessing the small shed to the right. All of these installations were salvaged from the old depot.

depot1.jpg

The Fueller.

depot5.jpg

depot6.jpg

depot2.jpg

Looking towards the depot proper. Right to left will be : loco wash plant, stabling point, two roads into the shed. MARSHFIELD will soon be full of Hydraulics. I want more Westerns, another Hymek and at least 2 Class 22s.

depot3.jpg

Edited by retroman
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I have been researching available yard lights and have decided on these rather nice double lights from CR Signals. The unit is beautifully made. I also have another tower on order, whilst the catwalk in the wash bay will be lit by simple double lights from Express Models.

light1.jpg

I have been experimenting with placement of buildings and the fuel storage tanks and am reasonably happy with how the depot is progressing.

light3.jpg

• Like 3

I have lightly weathered the Traverser, which takes away the rather plastic/'toy' like appearance.

1003122.jpg

1003121.jpg

Incidentally ....I have become increasingly unhappy running the layout with locos that wouldn't historically have worked side-by-side. Therefore I intend to run two distinct eras .... FLEET 1: late 60s / very early 70s (hydraulics) which will allow the odd BR green/maroon loco to appear.... and FLEET 2: early to mid 1980s (which was 'my' era). This effectively splits my existing fleet in two. I am looking to acquire a display cabinet for the non-active fleet, and will carry out routine maintenance on whichever fleet is out of service at any one time................. if that makes sense.

Edited by retroman
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

With my simplified trackplan I found that I had some rather large open spaces between the running lines, so I've been building extensions onto the embankments. Seen here in my usual green basecoat before all the flock/veg goes on.

040412001.jpg

A view showing new tanks about to be installed at the end of the Fueller. The space to the right will be occupied by admin buildings and a car park full of period cars.

040412002.jpg

General view of the entrance road and fueller, showing the resited power box.

040412003.jpg

I've also been busy building and painting crash barriers from bits of old rail. They make a big visual difference. 15mmm uprights soldered to the yellow/red horizontal barriers.

040412004.jpg

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

MARSHFIELD station now has a footbridge. I tried kit bashing with poor results, so in the end I bit the bullet and scratchbuilt one, bespoke for the location.

footbridge1.jpg

footbridge2.jpg

The completed structure, which has to span 4 running lines in order to service the 2 platforms. I have added dummy lights (for now), handrails and a dummy signal with junction indicator: this controls access to the depot.

footbridge5.jpg

Into the spraying booth. I will update this thread once the completed bridge has been placed in the layout.

footbridge6.jpg

• Like 2

I have been researching available yard lights and have decided on these rather nice double lights from CR Signals. The unit is beautifully made.....

Yes, I used one of those exact same lights on the steelworks layout,

as I wanted a few different lamps, with slightly different colours....

Well made, sturdy and a nice looking unit

BTW

the depot now has an air of spaciousness about it -

an un-cluttered look, despite not being in a huge area

The traverser looks good, and works well in that space

Cheers

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Marc. Some recent work, as the layout nears completion:

Footbridge now in situ.

complete3.jpg

complete5.jpg

Station forecourt.

0905121.jpg

0905122.jpg

Helicopter view of the station area.

0905125.jpg

PW crew at work lifting the bay platform trackwork.

1005121.jpg

A Western is on PW duties.

1005122.jpg

1005123.jpg

1005124.jpg

Lineside debris near the depot throat.

1005126.jpg

37238 growls past ..........

1005125.jpg

Not much left to do now .... having said that ...

• Like 1

This is a good looking layout. Maybe use more low level shots and add extra sky to remove the loft background distraction?

I don't know why more people are not commenting on this because it is a really nice looking layout.

• Like 2

Dave, re the other thread I have previosuly commented and do keep an eye on this, really like this layout, and often think about it when I flick through the reference books on my shelf as a fair number used to belong to you!

• Like 1

Never commented on here before but have read with interest every time you've updated!!!

Layout looks like fantastic fun to operate and is the kind of layout I would love to have given the space.

Keep up the good (and inspirational) work and loads more updates and vids please!

Ian B

PS- the weathering on the Hymek is bang on- love the filth on the tumblehome

• Like 2

Lovely work!

Sorry I've not noticed this before but.....there are an awful lot of topics here and it's too easy to 'miss' good layouts, wish I had seen this before.

As it happens, I wondered if my 'work' on "Dent" was a waste of space, too!

Cheers,

John E.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Dave

Don't worry I always keep up to date with your thread although recently I tend to use the 'like' button rather than post 'me too' posts. I can't remember whether its this or the old rmweb but I think I credited you for the inspiration for my layout, a depot and mainlines rather than large station. Anyway keep posting fella the layout looks great.

Sorry I meant to add that I have felt like you at some points, when I've posted and then nothing, although I do seem to have a band of followers that regularly post now. I guess if it interests someone then they will stay with you.

Edited by Temeraire
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for bringing this layout to the fore; just one problem for me - I access this site from work during breaks and they don't allow uploads from picture sites so your pictures come up as boxes with red crosses in them!!

Could I respectfully suggest you use the RMweb picture upload option then we can all see the pics and post comments accordingly?!

Thanks

David

• Like 3