MARSHFIELD with ELY BRIDGE HIGH LEVEL

retroman

• RMweb Premium

Hi Dave

Its been a while, I wondered if you would make the jump!

Its good to see the layout is still alive and well, it was your previous thread that inspired a change in thinking when I started again in the loft.

• Like 1

Cheers, Ian.

A few pics of the layout as it stands, after 4 years of graft ......

130409800x600.jpg

0502092.jpg

0502093.jpg

I've replaced the shed with the Bachmann model, which looks far better IMHO.

1101102.jpg

1110105.jpg

The station end, which is where I've spent most of this winter! Still loads of detailing yet to do.

0902101.jpg

0902102.jpg

005.jpg

003-1.jpg

004.jpg

• Like 11

Thanks for the comments.

I don't have a track plan, its all in my head! The layout is 14'x11' in the loft, with an operating well in the centre. It started as a 4-track mainline with a fiddle-yard on the opposite side, but I got bored so added the depot. Then I fell into the classic trap of adding too much track, from which I had to withdraw! However I did install the upper frieght/dmu circuit with the other station - Ely Bridge - shoehorned into one corner.

3011081.jpg

3011082.jpg

3011083.jpg

The opposite side is now BUTE WHARF STEELWORKS, next winter's project ...

3-1.jpg

• Like 5

A few more pics

KESTREL on the Down Fast (wrong headcode!)

001-2.jpg

Depot shots

0504092snowplow.jpg

33019.jpg

Visiting preserved kettle ...

1302092.jpg

0202091.jpg

3101094.jpg

2401094.jpg

I hope this gives the impression that the layout is great fun - because that's what I intended it to be - my motivation was to build, then crack open a beer and watch the trains go by.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

I've had a few days to get some work done in the up corner. I've also built this overhead pipeline for the steelworks .... made out of 15mm copper pipe, scrap wood, pipe clips and Knightwing girders.

gasline230210.jpg

Here it is in situ in the steelworks complex.

2302101.jpg

2302102.jpg

I've also extended the baseboard to allow for a terrace of house overlooking a cutting, which looks much better in my opinion. The area above the tunnels is now to be used for the offices/stores for the steelworks.

2302103.jpg

37238 is exiting the steelworks complex in this shot. 50004 passes on an Up van train from Milford Haven.

2302104.jpg

• Like 2

Dave this looks wonderful. I remember having a lovely big roundy roundy that I built with my Dad as a kid. Although I don't have the space for something like this (or the money!) I love looking at other peoples, and I'm very jealous. Despite growing organically it's slowly getting more and more realistic and the steel works looks another great fun location. :)

Thanks, James. I always wanted a chaotic roundy-roundy and this layout is the one I promised myself when I was much younger! As I say, it's not for the purists but MARSHFIELD has given me immense pleasure over the last 4 years. I'm looking forward to super-detailing the steelworks area, which is going to be a mass of pipework and associated buildings.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

...The opposite side is now BUTE WHARF STEELWORKS, next winter's project ...

3-1.jpg

Looking good - where did you get the buildings from?

I can see a pikestuff shed building on the right side of the steelworks photo,

are the buildings in the centre of the pic adapted from the Walthers Cement Works?

Cheers

Marc

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments - Owen, the layout is 14'x11' in the loft, with an operating well in the centre.

The higher level line is actuallly in a figure of eight from the lower level Up Slow line. Trains pass over the crossover just before Bute Tunnel, ascend an incline along one side of the layout, traverse the upper level line to ELY BRIDGE HIGH LEVEL, pass to the left of BUTE TUNNEL as per the DMU in the previous picture, then descend to MARSHFIELD on the Up Slow again.

One of these days I'll sort out a track plan, but it will have to be a sketch, I can't be doing with all this track-plan software,.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Grimley, having followed your progress that is a real compliment :)

The aptly-named High Street now nearing completion.

0204102.jpg

Track level view

020410.jpg

Looking from HIGH STREET towards ELY BRIDGE along the Causeway.

0104102.jpg

'Bill' Cookworthy about to pass under HIGH STREET.

0104103.jpg

Hear that Sulzer splutter.

0104101.jpg

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

Hello, wishing everyone on here the compliments of the season ...

I've used the freezing weather as a chance to stay in and do a bit of work on my kit building backlog ...

The first is this WILLS boiler house, which has a wealth of detail and took ages to finish. It's quite a complex little building.

boilerhse1.jpg

Here it is in situ in the PW yard, which has changed from being a dead space to my favourite part of the layout.

boilerhse3.jpg

I like the run-down decrepitude and industrial decay feel.

bolerhse2.jpg

Next job is the steelworks gate house.

• Like 5