Wisbech and Upwell Drewry Shunter

Has anyone ever made a 4mm scale detailing kit to convert a Drewry shunter (Class 04) into one of the examples used on the Wisbech and Upwell?

I have seen a number modelled over the years and I suspect it wouldn't be too difficult to fashion some side-skirts and cowcatchers etc but I just thought I would ask first rather than needlessly reinventing the wheel!

Any advice appreciated...

Cheers,

David

• RMweb Gold

Not sure if anyone does a kit but there are a lot of differences with the early batch

One I can think of off my head are

Shallower buffer beam

Larger radiator grille

Different cab windows

Smaller wheels

Different exhaust

Having said all that there were skirted versions of the later ones. D2280 was one from Ipswich

The old Vulcan kit (1980s) came with alternative cab sides and etched side skirts and cowcatchers but I don't think it included the other variations.

That sounds like the old Impetus kit. Is it the same thing? There's some pics of my O4 tram made from the Impetus kit and the Airfix/Dapol kit in my layout thread and gallery - links below.

Alex

Edited by wiggoforgold

I don't think the Impetus and Vulcan kits were the same, IIRC the Vulcan one was cast with some etched parts whereas the Impetus was all etched.

I seem to remember someone doing an etched conversion kit for the Airfix Drewry with new cab, cowcatchers etc, but can't remember who it was, possibly Craftsman or maybe Impetus.

• RMweb Premium

Has anyone ever made a 4mm scale detailing kit to convert a Drewry shunter (Class 04) into one of the examples used on the Wisbech and Upwell?

I have seen a number modelled over the years and I suspect it wouldn't be too difficult to fashion some side-skirts and cowcatchers etc but I just thought I would ask first rather than needlessly reinventing the wheel!

Any advice appreciated...

Cheers,

David

Hi David

As mentioned above the Vulcan, later produced by Gibson, kit came with side skirts, alternative cab sides and cowcatchers. Not too sure if you can still get the Gibson kit.

I did think about fitting the etched side skirts from a Vulcan kit to an Airfix 04, they were too long. I then thought of fitting them to a Mainlne 03 and converting that, again too long. I draged out my two Vulcan kits and checked them, the side skirts were the correct length for them. Just they were not the same length as the other 04s I have.

Here are a couple of links the first shows my conversions of the Airfix model http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/76751-drewry-04-shunter-tram-engine/?p=1178826

the sceond has further links http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/90312-Dapol-04-shunter/?p=1589328

Note that I discovered while trying to find photos of tram engines that the earlier locos had a different roof profile to the later machines.

I don't think the Impetus and Vulcan kits were the same, IIRC the Vulcan one was cast with some etched parts whereas the Impetus was all etched.

I seem to remember someone doing an etched conversion kit for the Airfix Drewry with new cab, cowcatchers etc, but can't remember who it was, possibly Craftsman or maybe Impetus.

Hi Rangers

From memory the Craftsman kit was to convert the Mainline 03 into a 04, I cannot recall it having side skirts and cowcatchers. There might have been two kits one for a tram and one for a "standard" Drewry.

Edited by Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium

Not sure if anyone does a kit but there are a lot of differences with the early batch

One I can think of off my head are

Shallower buffer beam

Larger radiator grille

Different cab windows

Smaller wheels

Different exhaust

Having said all that there were skirted versions of the later ones. D2280 was one from Ipswich

Not just the cab windows, but the cab roof profile too.

I also believe the Impetus and Vulcan kits to be completely different, as Rangers says. The Impetus item is a conversion with etched parts, and won't make a complete loco.

In his 1996 book "Modelling Diesels" Tim Shackleton covers the conversion using a Mainline 03 and parts from the Airfix/ Dapol plastic kit, along with the Impetus parts, Nearly twenty years on you could presumably use the new Bachmann 03 chassis for power. As the side skirts of the trams obscure the wheels and motion it doesn't really matter that these are wrong. In fact, there's no reason really not to use a Spud by Tenshodo or a Black Beetle  on that basis, an option I've pondered for many years as my own Impetus set rests in the "to do" pile! I have a completed Craftsman J70 which is fairly convincing and functions quite happily with a Tenshodo unit hidden behind its skirts.

John.

P.S. br2975 made his post while I was digging out the book. Looks like the same project by Mr Shackleton in two places.

Edited by John Tomlinson

Thanks to everyone who has replied to this - it is much appreciated. There is quite a lot to take in and a bit more research necessary I think. I will have a look through all the links and infomation provided.

Cheers

• 4 months later...

Anyone contemplating a skirted '04 but denied the availability of both Impetus and Vulcan/Gibson should take heart that it is not so hard if we adopt one of the two main sources of '04 out there.

On the one hand we could take the Bachmann '04 and simply remove the cab and replace it with a fabricated early style cab, then add skirts and 'cowcatchers' (anyone who wants to know how to fabricate those, do let me know. It has been done.) Those in 00 land can stop right here as everything under the skirts stays the same.

Otherwise, for those seeking perhaps closer fidelity to the original, we could start with a small shopping list (wheels, motor, gears etc being a constant); Airfix (not Dapol - pay the extra and get the product of fresh moulds and better quality polystyrene despite its age) Drewry shunter kit. Add to that the exceptional High Level Kits chassis for the 03/04. That gives us enough to produce a standard '04, but for the skirted version we still need to fabricate the cab and skirts/cowcatchers.

So, out with the nickel-silver sheet and create the cab, side skirt and cowcatcher (not so hard, really). The long and the short of it is all we really use is the hood/bonnet/radiator/footplate of the Airfix kit.

The High Level kit is what makes it - down to the steps and diamond pattern footplate overlays, to say nothing of the compensation and superb gearbox. All in all a fun project.

In case you are wondering about the marginal, extra effort involved, the Vulcan kit is good, but does necessitate the fabrication of a cab front which is, oddly enough, not included despite the correct cab sides being supplied. If you can fabricate a cab front, you can do the sides too, so the Airfix/High Level approach still works. So no great loss if you can't get a Vulcan/Gibson kit.

The Impetus kit, however, does it all for you. If you can get one - last seen on Ebay for about fifty quid as a set of bits from a wrecked project (OK, I confess, it was mine and jolly chuffed at getting that price, so thank you bidders. Don't ask how it got wrecked - it was a painful day). Seriously, though, anything 4mm Impetus a) is rare as can be and b) correspondingly expensive.

So, back to Airfix/High Level or Bachmann. In the latter case a simple re-wheel under the skirts will suffice for EM/P4. In the former case Gibson (or Ultrascale (6 months?? Seriously?) are worth the wait. Yes, they are.) are ready for you.

So the current solution to the skirted 04 is the fabrication of the cab/skirts. A set of parts that simple would seem to call out to another supplier to step up and replace the Impetus product. Now, those of you who have served the colours will already know what just happened. I just volunteered for something, didn't I?

Well you optimists, I am going back to my bench to finish the Vulcan kit I have has stashed away for years. And a few other things getting in the way...

Best,

Marcus

Anyone contemplating a skirted '04 but denied the availability of both Impetus and Vulcan/Gibson should take heart that it is not so hard if we adopt one of the two main sources of '04 out there.

On the one hand we could take the Bachmann '04 and simply remove the cab and replace it with a fabricated early style cab, then add skirts and 'cowcatchers' (anyone who wants to know how to fabricate those, do let me know. It has been done.) Those in 00 land can stop right here as everything under the skirts stays the same.

Best,

Marcus

I'd be very interested in learning how to fabricate those. I'm new to the scratchbuild/kitbash scene having relied on RTR in the past, but a skirted 04 isn't going to appear any time soon and the technique for these could be an alternative if I become brave/competent enough to scratchbuild a W&U tram body.

I managed to get a set of etched skirts and cowcatchers for my 4mm Bachmann 04 from one of our members on here who normally does 2mm etches.

Stewart

(Not that I've got round to fitting them yet).

I have noted that Worsley Woks produced a 3mm scale set of cab etches for the '04, so I imagine he would be willing to produce them to 4mm scale. No sign of any skirts though (just like a rather dull Saturday night, really...).

I'd be very interested in learning how to fabricate those. I'm new to the scratchbuild/kitbash scene having relied on RTR in the past, but a skirted 04 isn't going to appear any time soon and the technique for these could be an alternative if I become brave/competent enough to scratchbuild a W&U tram body.

Having rambled at length on this subject I am going to set out my aproach using the premise of fabricating a cab, skirts and cowcatchers as a 'universal' approach to either Airfix or Bachmann, ignoring the chassis as either to Bachmann RTR or High Level will have their own issues in being (re)fitted.

In summary the cab and skirts are pretty straightforward, so its more a case of technique than unique aspects of construction. It's the skirts that are the fun bit. More soon when my day to day activity slows down. I promise!

Best,

Marcus

Edited by EHertsGER

I have noted that Worsley Woks produced a 3mm scale set of cab etches for the '04, so I imagine he would be willing to produce them to 4mm scale. No sign of any skirts though (just like a rather dull Saturday night, really...).

I think it was Etched Pixels that helped me out, might be worth asking?

Stewart

Edited by stewartingram

I have noted that Worsley Woks produced a 3mm scale set of cab etches for the '04, so I imagine he would be willing to produce them to 4mm scale. ...

Only if there's demand. The fact that one or two people want them is not enough. I should know; I've tried.

• 10 months later...

All

There will be an etched conversion kit pretty much in the same vein as the old Impetus kit - skirts, cowcatchers, replacement cab and so on released some time towards the end of this year/early next (not that far away already!).

Anyone interested, please let me know as I am producing this for my own amusement, but of course any subsidy in terms of sales would be welcome and hopefully help a few folks along the way.

Best,

Marcus

• Like 1