Waverley47708

Reply was supposed to include Millerhillboy's list dated 4/4/1986 in post number 52.

Whilst I am still trying to ignore the 143s on the list, interestingly I have just noticed Bachmanns latest arrival on my version of Waverley, 47436.

Wonder what she was up to that day, an Inverness service, or perhaps a portion train as far as Carstairs?

Edited by Waverley47708
  • Like 2

Getting ready to pack up the layout for the move. Took some video and some photos. Here are some of them.

Both blue grey and InterCity livery were on the go on the mid 80s. HSTs could be seen with matching power car and coaches or the coaches on one livery and the power cars in another.

If my memory services me correctly, full sets of blue grey, full InterCity livery sets or Intercity power cars with blue grey coaches were more common. The variation I remember the least was blue grey power cars with IntrCity livery coaches.

post-4700-0-70326100-1459637761_thumb.jpg

post-4700-0-00703200-1459753129_thumb.jpg

Edited by Waverley47708
  • Like 9

A fitting end.

It could also be the first train at its new location :)

Correct, well that is the plan anyway. Pretty sure Waverley was the first to run when I first got the layout wired when first built many years ago, although that was a Lima version remembered and renamed by me, the latest Waverley is a Grimey Times rename and rd number.

• Like 1

A video of the final running session in what was the completed scenic section. 477s on Push Pull services, 474s on the Sleeper, portion trains between Waverley and Carstairs, Inverness services and Parcels, 27s on Dundee services, 37s on freight and passenger trains, 20s on MGR to Longannet and a 26 with an Inspection Saloon. Enjoy.

Edited by Waverley47708
  • Like 6

Fantastic video, a great idea. Models of prototypical scale length trains just how I remember them. Good luck with the move and look forward to further updates in the future. Jim

• 1 month later...

Well, that is that, we have left our old house and moved to our new one.  Am happy to report that as I suspected I can see the Perth the Stirling line in the distance.  The first train I saw on moving in last Thursday was the Down Highland Chieftain HST from Kingscross to Inverness.

The double garage has twin concrete block walls with a gap between them, bit unusual for a garage but welcome nevertheless. 

As to be expected we can hardly move for boxes, once they are unpacked I hope to get the layout back form the club and installed in its new location.

• Like 4

Well, that is that, we have left our old house and moved to our new one.  Am happy to report that as I suspected I can see the Perth the Stirling line in the distance.  The first train I saw on moving in last Thursday was the Down Highland Chieftain HST from Kingscross to Inverness.

The double garage has twin concrete block walls with a gap between them, bit unusual for a garage but welcome nevertheless. 

As to be expected we can hardly move for boxes, once they are unpacked I hope to get the layout back form the club and installed in its new location.

Glad to hear you have arrived safely, Calum. Good luck with the unpacking! 

Thanks for the DVD. Some great stuff on it.

Cheers

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Dave,

Glad you enjoyed the DVD.

I am not suffering too much without the layout, but once the unpacking is finished am looking forward to getting it set up again.

In the meantime I have the Perth show to look forward to.

• 1 month later...

Couple of purchases at the Perth show, had been looking for a split box 37 for a while. 37026, very 1985/6 and despite it being Green, D200 was a visitor to the real Waverley in 1985/86.

Photographed on the club's Laurencekirk layout as mine is still in storage.

post-4700-0-17855200-1468261431_thumb.jpg

post-4700-0-79040500-1468261487_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

Got a bit of a surprise when I popped into the new loft a few weeks ago. Although there are a lot of joists there is a tempting clear section, 6ft x 44ft. With a bit of thought another two 4ft x 44ft could be incorporated.

Am now trying to decide between reassembling the existing 16 x 10'4 ft version in a garage or a rebuild, keeping most of the board's and incorporating them into a 38 x 10 ft version in the loft.

Lots to consider, it would be easier to keep the garage more comfortable temperature wise but the thought of a scenic area 38ft long opposite Waverley is making me tend towards the loft. Thinking of a Laurencekirk arrangement, dead straight track, v fast running through a station, passing loops with track to spare.

Tbc.......

Edited by Waverley47708
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Went to York for the day on Saturday and got a fright when I went looking for Monkbar Model Shop. I always remember it is a wee bit hidden by the tower in the city wall, got down to the area, saw the tower and saw a toy shop. Oh no don't tell me it has turned into a toy shop. I frantically looked in the window but could not see any model railway items. Then I realised all was well in the world, Monkbar was just a few metres away nearer the tower. What a relief!!

Mind you my last experience was even more scary, a few years ago I went and spent £23 or so, unfortunately it was put through the card machine as £23256. Fortunately the system rejected it. Kept the receipt for fun (and also in case it was not cancelled!!). Had a wee laugh with one of the guys in the shop about it on Saturday.

Bought the Bachmann coolant trolleys, think I remember them at Waverley in the 80s although am sure they had a silver or grey stripe and that some were brown? Can't remember what they were for, any info gratefully received.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Been busy in my loft having made a start on the rebuild of Waverley 85-86 at the new house.  38ft of new board have been built and put in place for one side and a new freight only fiddle yard board has been built.  Am in the process of doing a cut and shut job on the existing station and station fiddle yard baseboards so that two 4 x 6 ft boards can fit through an approximately 2ft loft hatch!  Photos of progress may follow.  The plan is to simply extend the layout and add a second fiddle yard.  The scenic section was going to include an embankment, Laurencekirk style loops and a 2 platform through station. however once the loops had been sized to accommodate an MGR (2 x 20s plus 24 HAAs - 11ft something) and in order to keep the embankment at 8ft (length not height!) to one board I was running out of space and therefore have gone for an uncluttered straight 30 foot of track with the loops which will operate as the loops at Townhill did in the 80s, MGR come into them from the South and the 20s run round before they head towards Longannet.

In between managed to go on a week Holiday to Cambridgeshire, managed to do the now traditional stop at Carnforth for Brunch in the excellent Brief Encounter café, popped into the model shop where lots of second hand stock including the Hornby ex airfix aircons were for sale, (personally I prefer them to the current Hornby air cons).  A day trip to London from Huntington arriving for the first time for me at Kings Cross.  Could not resit getting my picture taken with Sir Nigel statue.   As a I sat on a white or grey EMU,  I did wonder what the traction would have been in 1985, a 47 or a 31 perhaps.  Popped in St Pancreas and Victoria for a wee look.  Went to Hamleys and saw the most expensive Oxford Diecast I had ever seen.  A quick visit to Trains4U when in Peterborough, then took in the diesel gala on Friday at Nene Valley - all that way for a 26 and a ScotRail liveried 47!  I was delighted and very surprised to see an 47 in ScotRail (even if it did have a Scottie dog on one side) and finally went to the Doncaster show and saw many familiar faces.

Edited by Waverley47708
  • Like 3

The loft sounds a great idea! Most jealous! Monk bar is a great shop, hope to get up there myself soon. It's one of those traditional sort of places which are equally friendly and knowledgeable at the same time. Best part about it is its location.

Looking forward to seeing this develop. I think you'll get far more from this if you build in the loft.

All the best,

John

• 2 months later...

Another new arrival, 47641 Fife Region in large logo with the black head code box. A Grimey Times renumber and light weathering.

On account on my layout being rebuilt it is seen heading South on the club's layout just North of Laurencekirk station heading to Waverley (hopefully) once it is rebuilt.

The good news is Laurencekirk will be appearing at our exhibition this year, the bad news is it will be in 1950/60 guise rather than 1980s. So A4s on Aberdeen to Glasgow expresses rather than 47s. Never mind at least it is not 170s. Anyway not to worry the appearance of Blair Atholl towards Drumochter will make up for it.

post-4700-0-54617700-1485178315_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Been doing some work on the new version of the layout.

Plan is to extend it from 18 x 11, to 40 x 10. The station, most of the fiddle yard and the completed scenic section are to be reused. Some careful cutting is needed to get the 4ft wide station and fiddle yard boards through a 2 ft and a wee bit wide loft hatch!

The station and finished scenic boards will be at either end of one side of the layout, previously they were on opposite sides and will fit in the area in the first photo. A complete set of new boards have been build for the side opposite the station and a new freight fiddle yard has been built. Passenger trains will continue to use the non scenic bit of the station as their fiddle yard hidden beyond Waverley Bridge as before.

Was inspired by the clubs Laurencekirk to go for v straight track with passing loops. I was also going to include a two platform station to contrast with Waverley and an embankment. However due to my desire for an uncluttered fast section I found that even with 40 Ft it was getting cluttered when the loops had to be sized for a mid 80s Fife MGR train, two Class 20s and 25 HAAs. As a result the proposed two platform passing station got the chop. Loops will be operated as the loops at Townhill or Halbeath. MGR arrives into loop, 20s run round and away again. This was for loaded and unloaded trains. An MGR train can be seen in the second photo in front of the orange drill to the top right of the photo. Again as I am looking for an uncluttered look my 8ft embankment is unlikely to have any extensive bridge over any significant river, just a plain embankment instead.

The progress is shown below.

post-4700-0-44502300-1486246064_thumb.jpg

post-4700-0-19530600-1486246107_thumb.jpg

post-4700-0-28224300-1486246748_thumb.jpg

Edited by Waverley47708
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

The new loft looks a fantastic space for your extended layout and it will be interesting to watch it develop.

One point of interest, I cannot see any insulation other than that on the floor? I recommend that you think long and hard about insulating the modelling area because the extremes of temperature (both hot and cold) that a cold loft is exposed to will not do your rolling stock or track any favours.

visit to Waverley on 4/4/86

143 016

143 019

couldn't have been there long, didn't take coach numbers then. Edit : in fact it was a new book as I was heading to York for a few days, aged 13!! Wow......

not sure what the DMU numbers boil down to, some 120s and maybe a 107. 52025, 59090 & 51224 have SC beside them (which I guess might have been strathclyde livery)

52025 is a Class 107 - I know because it's preserved as part of the Avon Valley Railway's 'power twin' 107 unit. 

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

The good news is we had the first successful movement of a train on the new scenic boards last night, 47708 did the honours.  Shuttling back and forward up and down the lines.

The bad news is that the troublesome trucks, the rake of HAA (old versions) did not take well to being pulled across the crossover at the end of the loops.  This is a key feature of the layout and needs to work.  The two sets of points appear to be aligned but not aligned enough for the seamless crossing over of the HAAs from the up to the down track.  They are long points and will try to relay them or swap them round.  The HAAs are not the best runners most of the time but last nights efforts across the crossing was very bad.

• Like 1

Hi Calumn

Good to see you back.

You're certainly setting yourself some task with forty feet. Our new club layout is only thirty two feet long.

See you at the exhibition a week on Saturday. I'll make sure the traders have plenty of track in stock.

Stephen

Hi Calumn

Good to see you back.

You're certainly setting yourself some task with forty feet. Our new club layout is only thirty two feet long.

See you at the exhibition a week on Saturday. I'll make sure the traders have plenty of track in stock.

Stephen

Thanks Stephen, always enjoy the Ayr exhibition.