The Engine Shed

Multiple identity account

Looks great, according Hornby"Almost everything can be produced between1926-1962, both Hood and Lord Hawke before 1955 cannot be produced".

But the decorated Lord Nelson looks very good to me, but as they said , they have to work out some small amends.

No word of this one 857,that its not producible, if ever announced would be an special one.

But first my Sir Fracis Drake waiting for, think its gonna be a great impressive looking loco.

And they thank us all for the guesswork, so they keep an eye on us  :mosking:

post-17668-0-55344500-1516980135_thumb.jpg

Edited by Cor-onGRT4
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Haha locos like that just... lack the character that older locos have, don't get me wrong I love me an original Merchant Navy, just big express locos with ugly smoke deflectors don't do much for me.

The older loco designs certainly have character, however for such a small class the Lord Nelson's certainly have a lot of detail differences - which gives them a certain appeal...

• RMweb Gold

Looks great, according Hornby"Almost everything can be produced between1926-1962, both Hood and Lord Hawke before 1955 cannot be produced".

But the decorated Lord Nelson looks very good to me, but as they said , they have to work out some small amends.

No word of this one 857,that its not producible, if ever announced would be an special one.

But first my Sir Fracis Drake waiting for, think its gonna be a great impressive looking loco.

And they thank us all for the guesswork, so they keep an eye on us  :mosking:

Agreed  :sungum:  :sungum:

Looking forward to the Schools Class 30912 Downside, turning up before too long (2019 hopefully - hint, hint)  :onthequiet:

• RMweb Gold

I like the BR green and lining on the Nelson decoration sample.   (logs out & hides..)

Seriously.

The MiM know where you live  :jester:  :jester:..

... and will put you into a witness protection program - if it's needed  :sungum:

Edited by toboldlygo

Haha locos like that just... lack the character that older locos have, don't get me wrong I love me an original Merchant Navy, just big express locos with ugly smoke deflectors don't do much for me.

Whereas the original Merchant Navies were a couple of overlarge smoke deflectors with a loco hidden inside.

• RMweb Premium

As a guard on the Mid Hants who is trying to build a fictitious preserved line I would really like to have Lord Nelson but I would want a DC version in Southern livery. Yes, I know they are doing one exactly like that but it won't be Nellie. So do I get Nellie in BR livery and hope when the overhaul is finished the NRM want it in BR livery. Then all I have to do is get rid of the DCC sound chip which should not be too hard. Decisions, decisions!

• Like 1

As a guard on the Mid Hants who is trying to build a fictitious preserved line I would really like to have Lord Nelson but I would want a DC version in Southern livery. Yes, I know they are doing one exactly like that but it won't be Nellie. So do I get Nellie in BR livery and hope when the overhaul is finished the NRM want it in BR livery. Then all I have to do is get rid of the DCC sound chip which should not be too hard. Decisions, decisions!

You never know what NRM Locomotion specials could come, and if they don,t do it could be Rails.....

Alternatively, you can pick up a Bachmann preserved Lord Nelson.

Probably safe to assume that however Lord Nelson is turned out the NRM will commission a model of it in that livery. Just a matter of time.

For me, I love my detailed Bachmann LN with its Markits brass chimney and all the other bits. It sits well alongside all the super-detail locos of recent years, and yet .......

.......this Hornby Nelson is just too good to miss. Decision made. The old one has to go.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for that, wasn't expecting one this week.  A good read . Not my thing but the Lord Nelson looks superb and quite well advanced .  They even congratulate you on spotting that the LN was in the 2018 line up .  Well done The Engine Shed team. Nice to see you back on form

And very interesting to read between the lines as well.  Some very perceptive words in there about creating interest and 'teasers'.  And to be very blunt about the increasingly crowded market market in general they need to get back to that sort of thing PDQ with announcements and hints about forthcoming announcements flying out of the woodwork from all and sundry and newcomers arriving from all directions.

The (old) Engine Shed showed that Hornby could be fleet of foot in going straight to its end market and I'm beginning to think the future year or two will need that approach more and more.

• RMweb Premium

And very interesting to read between the lines as well. Some very perceptive words in there about creating interest and 'teasers'. And to be very blunt about the increasingly crowded market market in general they need to get back to that sort of thing PDQ with announcements and hints about forthcoming announcements flying out of the woodwork from all and sundry and newcomers arriving from all directions.

The (old) Engine Shed showed that Hornby could be fleet of foot in going straight to its end market and I'm beginning to think the future year or two will need that approach more and more.

Completely agree, the engine shed showed that Hornby's communications could evolve and adapt to meet changed expectations. Let's hope the new broom has decided that the engine shed doesn't need fixing and let's it continue as was.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Just seen the latest Engine Shed on facebook. Lots about the forthcoming Lord Nelson,

but nothing about the Maunsell restaurant car, although there is a nice image of this in

the latest Hornby magazine.

Sheesh, if Hornby put everything in one issue then there would be nothing for future editions would there! Whilst we know modellers are excited about newly announced models, Hornby have a relatively small quantity of them this year and that has to sustain their Engine shed blogs for the next 12months.

The reason the current edition focuses on the Nelson is I imagine due to them having all those photos of the Engineering prototypes and decoration samples to show us, plus the loco appearing on the catalogue cover.

I would expect Hornby not to say anything about the Maunsell restaurant car until they have something worth showing - like an Engineering prototype for example.

Sheesh, if Hornby put everything in one issue then there would be nothing for future editions would there! Whilst we know modellers are excited about newly announced models, Hornby have a relatively small quantity of them this year and that has to sustain their Engine shed blogs for the next 12months.

The reason the current edition focuses on the Nelson is I imagine due to them having all those photos of the Engineering prototypes and decoration samples to show us, plus the loco appearing on the catalogue cover.

I would expect Hornby not to say anything about the Maunsell restaurant car until they have something worth showing - like an Engineering prototype for example.

But they have a sample of the Restaurant Car on display in Hornby magazine, or didn't I make that clear enough.

• RMweb Premium

But they have a sample of the Restaurant Car on display in Hornby magazine, or didn't I make that clear enough.

In which case, there will no doubt be a feature on it in a forthcoming Engine Shed post.

Given we are merely a day away from it becoming Feburary, and Hornby have said they are planning one post per month, it could come as early as a couple of weeks time.

Or they may wait till March

Does it REALLY make that much difference?

Just seen the latest Engine Shed on facebook. Lots about the forthcoming Lord Nelson,

but nothing about the Maunsell restaurant car, although there is a nice image of this in

the latest Hornby magazine.

With all due respect trevor7598, if you did have a thorough read through of the two most recent blogs from Hornby they clearly stated that they'll be focusing on one specific newly announced item in future editions i.e. each model will have an entire blog dedicated to it.

• Like 2