The Engine Shed

Multiple identity account

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

I'm not sure about that. I remember the storm that hit Heljan over their DP2, which seemed to have been designed by someone experienced in HO models and made significant compromises with the body to get an excellent body - bogie interface. A lot of HO diesel and electric models are made overscale to give the bogies enough space to operate on set track without looking jacked up (as per many OO models). 

Significant compromises meaning that from most directions it just looked wrong.  Most diesel and electric prototypes are far from being rectilinear boxes and designers modify them at their peril.  Slightly odd proportions and subtle shape errors don't bother a lot of folk and a few of them like to shout loudly that everything is fine, but if it does matter to you then a compromised model of your favourite class will never look right, however accurate the fine details.

Steam is probably more forgiving in this respect as it's generally the cylinders that suffer and we're trained into accepting undersized representations from an early age.  I was very surprised to see how how puny they are on the old Mainline Jubilee when @ianLMS replaced them with scale castings on his model.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Flying Pig said:

...  I was very surprised to see how how puny they are on the old Mainline Jubilee when @ianLMS replaced them with scale castings on his model.

But you have to take 'scale' castings with a pinch of salt sometimes ........ those supplied by a certain aftermarket manufacturer for Southern Schools class are probably the same generic LMS castings as for the Jubilee* - but they're FAR too big for the Schools.

* they're identical to the ones in the 8F chassis kit

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

But you have to take 'scale' castings with a pinch of salt sometimes ........ those supplied by a certain aftermarket manufacturer for Southern Schools class are probably the same generic LMS castings as for the Jubilee* - but they're FAR too big for the Schools.

* they're identical to the ones in the 8F chassis kit

Agreed which is why a set of drawings is useful to check the parts against. Assuming the drawings are accurate as well though!!

The pic below shows the difference between the drawing, the Mainline and Comet cyclinders. 

20230122_125837.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Flying Pig said:

Significant compromises meaning that from most directions it just looked wrong.  Most diesel and electric prototypes are far from being rectilinear boxes and designers modify them at their peril.  Slightly odd proportions and subtle shape errors don't bother a lot of folk and a few of them like to shout loudly that everything is fine, but if it does matter to you then a compromised model of your favourite class will never look right, however accurate the fine details.

Steam is probably more forgiving in this respect as it's generally the cylinders that suffer and we're trained into accepting undersized representations from an early age.  I was very surprised to see how how puny they are on the old Mainline Jubilee when @ianLMS replaced them with scale castings on his model.

No argument there, but it is really about where a manufacturer compromises and what aspects are considered most important rather than whether such compromises are necessary. European HO manufacturers often seem to apply a very different weighting to what aspects really matter than OO manufacturers but they nevertheless play with designs to get to what satisfies them as a balanced design.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...

The latest edition of Engine Shed has been posted on the Hornby website.

Features this month include updates and painted samples on the forthcoming TTA tank wagon, newly arrived HD models in the form of Merchant Navy Lamport and Holt Line and the A4 Gannet.

https://uk.Hornby.com/community/blog-and-news/engine-shed/come-oil-ye-faithful

Edited by Black 5 Bear
  • Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, Black 5 Bear said:

The latest edition of Engine Shed has been posted on the Hornby website.

Features this month include updates and painted samples on the forthcoming TTA tank wagon, newly arrived HD models in the form of Merchant Navy Lamport and Holt Line and the A4 Gannet.

https://uk.Hornby.com/community/blog-and-news/engine-shed/come-oil-ye-faithful

Well I looked, and scrolled down .  And yet again I realised just how much I miss the original 'proper job' version of 'The Engine Shed.'as it sinks ever further into a morass of PR blather instead of solid information and the occasional teaser.

• Agree 7

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Well I looked, and scrolled down .  And yet again I realised just how much I miss the original 'proper job' version of 'The Engine Shed.'as it sinks ever further into a morass of PR blather instead of solid information and the occasional teaser.

All shadow & little substance .Going for the cult of the personality on the back of the tv series. But tbh you have to ask just how much in the way of original substance is there in the mix in any case at present. Very “media trendy” in a p.c.way. Seems to target a different client group. Doubt it will appeal to forum members.But then,who can tell ?

Despite being in H’s Collectors Club,I received no email incidentally.For the second time today,this forum only is the conduit from LaLaLand.The first being the “Virtual Members” Day …via Farcebook only it seems….on March 25th which blissfully passed me by uncelebrated. Cries of “Shame !” stifled by a fit of apathy….

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

It's never been the same since Paul Isles left for Accurascale!

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

Has anyone else noticed/ or find it rather annoying that the last few articles have had the word "The" removed from "The Engine Shed" on the opening line?

E.g. "Welcome to Engine Shed". 

It's as if they are trying too hard to sound cool. Perhaps if they spent more time understanding the hobby they'd have realised an 87 and 91 are not diesel locos!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, scottrains29 said:

Has anyone else noticed/ or find it rather annoying that the last few articles have had the word "The" removed from "The Engine Shed" on the opening line?

E.g. "Welcome to Engine Shed". 

It's as if they are trying too hard to sound cool. Perhaps if they spent more time understanding the hobby they'd have realised an 87 and 91 are not diesel locos!

I think people clutch at straws too much to hate on Hornby marketing these days. If you look at the 2nd and 3rd most popular posts in this thread on the right, the then author...

16 hours ago, Black 5 Bear said:

It's never been the same since Paul Isles left for Accurascale!

this one, refers to the blog as 'Engine Shed' in both...

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Hilux5972 said:

Hornby have gone for the later version with the Morton Brake lever used from the late 1930's onwards. Earlier builds used  the GWR DC brake system.

Interesting Hornby have gone for the B as Triang produced it 60 years ago. 

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 1