Neptune street yard - 2015

mason

Thanks Andy

I will pass those bits onto the man and see what we can use and if thats how he will do it too.

I like the sound of the halfords flooring too.

I have also just been informed by the boss ( Lacey ) that the plans have changed and Lacey and her dad have decided that the shed will be 16 x 7 now :)

No arguments from me thats for sure.

So the plan with the shed is that i will have an end to end layout along one of the 16ft sections.

Neptune street will figure in this alot as i am looking to incorporate the scenic section into the 16ft.

My idea is that i will build the frame and boards so that Neptune street slots into a bigger scene and can just be plugged in.

The rest of the layout will run through Neptune street as the main scenic section to the road bridge is rectangular and all lines are straight.

There is a natural exit between the buildings at the opposite end that will be a nice run through.

post-6696-0-25188600-1434630190.jpg

I have not got a track plan yet as i want to ensure that the idea will work but i will be using C&L as that is what Neptune Street is made of also.

Neptune street will still be an exhibition layout and it will be just a case of sliding the scenic section out and adding the sector plate for shows.

The rest of the shed will be a workshop for Little Layouts.

As neptune street is only 10" wide ill have plenty of building room to carry LLC forward until next year when we plan on a Retail unit and proper workshop.

Well thats the plan anyway

Any thoughts??

• Like 6

Any thoughts??

Hi Neil

16'x7' - sounds good! As Andy has said - insulate and make it as comfortable as possible - especially important if your are to run TLLC from in there in the short term. Make sure the lighting is half decent.

In respect of the end to end one tip I'd suggest is build a strong open frame, attached to the wall then place your boards on top of this. This allows you to move the boards about or flip them over to wire / add point motors etc. If you attach the frame to the wall with 45 degree cross braces rather than legs to the floor it will make the shed feel a lot bigger. I have done this in my garage with my layout Laoson Valley - couple of photos of what I mean at the bottom of this post > http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/76254-laoson-valley-1990s-to-modern-day-tmd-oil-terminal-p-way-yard/?p=1163548

Happy modelling!

• Like 1

Hi Neil

16'x7' - sounds good! As Andy has said - insulate and make it as comfortable as possible - especially important if your are to run TLLC from in there in the short term. Make sure the lighting is half decent.

In respect of the end to end one tip I'd suggest is build a strong open frame, attached to the wall then place your boards on top of this. This allows you to move the boards about or flip them over to wire / add point motors etc. If you attach the frame to the wall with 45 degree cross braces rather than legs to the floor it will make the shed feel a lot bigger. I have done this in my garage with my layout Laoson Valley - couple of photos of what I mean at the bottom of this post > http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/76254-laoson-valley-1990s-to-modern-day-tmd-oil-terminal-p-way-yard/?p=1163548

Happy modelling!

Hey Sam

Thank you for the tips, i see what you mean from the pictures and that will work well

I am not sure how im going to do the frames yet as i have to consider how Neptune street will slot in and out.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a little update.

The shed/workshop has been put on hold at the moment as we have seen a property that has more to offer in the way of a workshop and railway room so more on that as it develops.

Managed a little running session this week

post-6696-0-77410100-1435907567.jpg

post-6696-0-71369500-1435907585.jpg

post-6696-0-29919200-1435907597.jpg

I will be adding buffer stop lights and another yard lamp next week and will hopefully have all my stock chipped and ready to go.

• Like 8

All good Neil - well tidied up and refined.

Ian

Thanks Ian

I am thinking about trying to recreate the pics that were in railway modeller of it in 2008 to show how it was then and now kind of thing

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Not much to update on Neptune street lately.

Only thing i have done is weather and fit couplings to two old Hornby box vans i had laying about.

They have come out pretty well and look good with a gronk on the front.

post-6696-0-48242800-1437030334.jpg

post-6696-0-78719400-1437030342.jpg

I also got down with the kids and got a selfie stick

It does give a few different angles for pictures but nothing great.

post-6696-0-55430500-1437030358.png

• Like 8

• 1 month later...

Hi Ian

I have been very busy with customer builds and the garden workshop too

I'll be building a home based layout soon in there, but for now I'm just tinkering with this one

Iv had a play about with the 31 and weathering it.

I'm pretty pleased so far

Only one side done

Here is a before and after shot

post-6696-0-03753800-1442604816_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Thanks Andy and George

I will get the other side done tomorrow I think.

Dutch is my fave too, I would like a dutch 37 now I think and I do have a dutch 08 in progress as well :)

I may illuminate the rear shed internally and I still need to redo the road bridge as it falls short at the front.

I am toying with the idea of changing it to red brick to give it a bit more visual look as it makes it quiet dark in that section.

Any thoughts??

I am also going to change the buffer stops for PH design versions to get that extra detail

• 3 weeks later...