The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Laughable 'police state' style moderation on RMWeb

Just when you think that this site can't get any worse for juvenile moderation ###### start to appear instead of innocent words. In our area willow is often described as p###y willow but it appears that we now can't be trusted to use correct words in context.

Pathetic

Dave

Just when you think that this site can't get any worse for juvenile moderation ###### start to appear instead of innocent words. In our area willow is often desribed as p###y willow but it appears that we can't be trusted to use correct words in context.

Pathetic

Dave

But is this due to the Moderators or, more likely, to some stupid automatic filter that comes with the site? How does it react to the name of a Lincolnshire town with a big steelworks, for example?

Don't blame the mods, I had tthe same problem when I tried to mention 'H0mo sapiens' as a species, it's the software package, which is obviously American in origin as it doesn't wory about some Anglo-Saxonisms.

I'm sure Andy wouldn't mind if you wanted to pay to get it revised ;)

Luckily that word which goes between Chorlton & Hardy is probably okay in UK, but try using it in the US  :jester:

'Come on, come on' - oops sorry that's G*** G****** isn't it  :jester:

Just when you think that this site can't get any worse for juvenile moderation ###### start to appear instead of innocent words. In our area willow is often described as p###y willow but it appears that we now can't be trusted to use correct words in context.

Pathetic

Dave

Dave,

let me assure you that the moderators do not spend their time checking every word that is written in the forum.

I have more important things to do like look cute, chase keys and ask my human to shine a torch on the wall so I can chase the light but the forum software has some words which it changes to # signs to prevent those humans who do not have a strong cat looking after them from typing rude words. Perhaps we could call the tree in question Felis catus willow which is permitted by the filter.

There's a long list of words in the installed filter; some of the most offensive and some that in our context are completely innocuous. However most of the middle ground is subject to the context it's presented in.

I find it quite insulting to state that it's a police state because of arbitrary word filtering and to say it's juvenile moderating shows a complete lack of understanding. Rather than considering why something may be the case or even asking (with a hint of respect) why it may be it probably says more about an attitude than it does about the (insignificant in my opinion) problem.

Archived