Canon incompatibility?

Gwiwer

• RMweb Premium

I've recently upgraded my main camera kit to include a Mk1 Canon EOS7D.  Not a new model, exactly, but as it's been out a few years I got a very good price.  I also invested in a Speedlite 270EXII off-camera flash.

The camera has its own pop-up flash but as with many of these things its usefulness and range is limited.  I need the remote for all shots where a head-on flash is not wanted such as being able to bounce flash off the ceiling or side-lighting a subject.

The flash works correctly on the hot shoe and should, according to Canon and the supplier, connect wirelessly to the camera and act as a slave unit.  That is doesn't do.

All attempts to fire the flash remotely from the camera produce an error message "Incompatible flash unit or flash is turned off" on the camera screen.

The supplier is mystified and Canon themselves have offered a stunned silence in response to my enquiries.

Anyone here got any thoughts other than returning the flash?  That isn't an option because the supplier quotes 4 weeks and will only repair not replace under the warranty.  I don't have four weeks before my next paid engagement.

The supplier is mystified and Canon themselves have offered a stunned silence in response to my enquiries.

Fairly normal in my experience with Far Eastern electronic goods/camera suppliers. I have had similar disinterested responses from Canon, Samsung and (many years ago) MInolta. Unless of course I was willing to take the item to one of their service centres and pay up front for a professional diagnosis check, with no guaranteed result. 

• 1 month later...

Scream at them Sale of Goods act "Not fit for purpose". You could take your set up to a good local independent camera shop. A lot of them are Canon agents. My local store Clifton Cameras is staffed by professional photographers and know the tricks of the various makes.

Keith 

• RMweb Premium

It's fit for purpose in that it works as intended on the camera and when fired independently by hand.  It's likely to be a software issue and possibly connected somehow to the fact that Canon's own software doesn't run on a Mac.  The Mac itself isn't in any way involved with the operation of the flash but there might be some sort of patch or code I can't access until I can plug into a PC.

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Thanks for the thought.  There's no-one I know of locally with the same or compatible models but the flash works fine seated on the hot shoe and that's good enough for most of what I need.  

I managed to satisfy my clients at the wedding shoot without having to use fill-flash or resting the unit off-camera for fancy effects.  That was my urgent concern.  Anything else can wait.

Dunno what your problem is? I've been using this for years without a hitch!

Mind you .......does smell a bit when the flash goes off !!!

post-20303-0-23347500-1434285596.jpg

Hi Rick,

I know little about canon flash, but looking at dpreview, it seems the 270EX11 does not have the four channels of communication that the earlier version had. It maybe that the 7D is not in group A. I guess you've fiddled with the custom functions, set master/slave,  rfm/whatever, etc. 

• RMweb Premium

Hi Rick,

I know little about canon flash, but looking at dpreview, it seems the 270EX11 does not have the four channels of communication that the earlier version had. It maybe that the 7D is not in group A. I guess you've fiddled with the custom functions, set master/slave,  rfm/whatever, etc. 

I've done exactly what it says in the instructions and have tried all manner of camera settings.  All result in the same "Incompatible flash" message which your comments support as being the case.  Not the end of the world.  Other flash units are available.

• RMweb Premium

My canon EOS 7D works fine communicating with my iMac running 10.10.3 have you or are you running the latest canon software on the Mac

and is the firmware up to date on your 7D latest is 2.0.5 details in this link

http://www.canon.co.uk/support/consumer_products/products/cameras/digital_slr/eos_7d.aspx?type=firmware&firmwaredetailid=tcm:14-1121880

I'll have to look into that as the CD with the camera failed to load on the Mac and the Nerdwork / Macrumours pretty much all confirmed that Canon software and Macs don't work together.  The camera works fine and images upload via iPhoto's latest iteration called Photos.

I've got some remote triggers that clip into the hot shoe on my Nikon and clip to the hot shoe connection on the flash guns, having four triggers I can run three flash guns spread around as required.

Think they were only about £39 via eBay

I'll have to look into that as the CD with the camera failed to load on the Mac and the Nerdwork / Macrumours pretty much all confirmed that Canon software and Macs don't work together.  The camera works fine and images upload via iPhoto's latest iteration called Photos.

I have been using canon software on my mac for over 10 years; bought my Canon EOS 10D digital SLR camera in 2003 and have had no issues all the latest Mac and windows updates are on the canon WWW site

and it is important to upgrade the Firmware in the camera which can resolve issues using newer accesories

The original CD you have could be as old as 2009 when the 7D first appeared my one does not work with Mac OS 10.10

• RMweb Premium

as old as 2009 when the 7D first appeared my one does not work with Mac OS 10.10

Exactly my problem.

CD in the drive isn't even recognised by OS 10.10.3

It sounds like the software on the CD incorporates some old Power PC code, which versions of OS X later than 10.6 no longer support. You'll need to find a download source for the Intel version of the software. Of course, being thoroughly customer focused, Canon tend to only make their updaters readily accessible and hide the download versions of the installers. They expect you to install it off the CD and then update. Er..............

Read the Canon Quick Guide for remote flash transmitter for your EOS7D available on the Internet. - although it is fairly common for us men not to read Instruction Manuals (or you may not have it if bought secondhand) -  especially wireless flash tips - the bit that says the limited range of exposure modes modes your camera has to be set in for the wireless flash transmitter to work. This may be your problem. If set to one of these your flash is compatible with your camera and will perform the function you want it to. 

http://learn.usa.canon.com/app/pdfs/quickguides/CDLC_EOS-Integrated-Speedlite-Transmitter_QuickGuide.pdf

See two excerpts below to help make the point - but do read the guide above because it tells you exactly how to set up the function you want for your camera and your flash - it is very easy.

Wireless Flash Tips

1. Your camera must be set either to P, Tv, Av, M or A-DEP exposure mode for the Integrated Speedlite Transmitter function to work. 

Introduction

This QuickGuide will explain how to use the Integrated Speedlite Transmitter feature incorporated in Canon EOS 7D, 60D, and Rebel T3i (660D) cameras. This feature uses the camera’s built-in flash unit to wirelessly trigger one or more off-camera (slave) Speedlites, either individually or
in groups. Compatible Speedlites include the 580EX II, 430EX II, 320EX, and 270EX II. 

Options include the ability to:

•   Fire one or more Speedlites off-camera and all at the same output, with or without the built-in flash firing

•   Fire two or more Speedlites at different outputs, using A:B ratio control, with or without the built-in flash firing independently

•   Set an A:B ratio between the built-in flash and one or more Speedlites. All Speedlites are combined into one group. 

I've recently upgraded my main camera kit to include a Mk1 Canon EOS7D. Not a new model, exactly, but as it's been out a few years I got a very good price. I also invested in a Speedlite 270EXII off-camera flash.

The camera has its own pop-up flash but as with many of these things its usefulness and range is limited. I need the remote for all shots where a head-on flash is not wanted such as being able to bounce flash off the ceiling or side-lighting a subject.

The flash works correctly on the hot shoe and should, according to Canon and the supplier, connect wirelessly to the camera and act as a slave unit. That is doesn't do.

All attempts to fire the flash remotely from the camera produce an error message "Incompatible flash unit or flash is turned off" on the

camera screen.

Anyone here got any thoughts other than returning the flash? That isn't an option because the supplier quotes 4 weeks and will only repair not replace under the warranty. I don't have four weeks before my next paid engagement.

Hi Gwiwer.

I am not sure what you are expecting to achieve here and maybe I'm reading you original post incorrectly. Please correct me if I am.

The 7D doesn't have 'wireless' as we normally know it. That is, it doesn't have 'radio'. It has infrared, that is why slave flashes have to face the camera to fire 'wirelessly'.

Am I barking up the wrong tree here? You set the flash to slave and the camer's own built-in flash will fire your slave.

Dave

^^^. Am I barking up the wrong tree? YES.

In this instance wireless means "remotely without a wire". Canon use the same expression to describe the technique. See my excerpts from the Canon Quick Guide two posts above. My VW Golf doesn't have a throttle cable - it uses fly by wire - but it won't actually fly.

^^^. Am I barking up the wrong tree? YES.

In this instance wireless means "remotely without a wire". Canon use the same expression to describe the technique. See my excerpts from the Canon Quick Guide two posts above. My VW Golf doesn't have a throttle cable - it uses fly by wire - but it won't actually fly.

As I said, ParkeNd.

Infrared.

Dave

• RMweb Premium

Thanks to all who have offered advice and support

It sounds like the software on the CD incorporates some old Power PC code, which versions of OS X later than 10.6 no longer support. You'll need to find a download source for the Intel version of the software. Of course, being thoroughly customer focused, Canon tend to only make their updaters readily accessible and hide the download versions of the installers. They expect you to install it off the CD and then update. Er..............

Sounds very possible - see below

Read the Canon Quick Guide for remote flash transmitter for your EOS7D available on the Internet. - although it is fairly common for us men not to read Instruction Manuals (or you may not have it if bought secondhand) -  especially wireless flash tips - the bit that says the limited range of exposure modes modes your camera has to be set in for the wireless flash transmitter to work. This may be your problem. If set to one of these your flash is compatible with your camera and will perform the function you want it to. 

http://learn.usa.canon.com/app/pdfs/quickguides/CDLC_EOS-Integrated-Speedlite-Transmitter_QuickGuide.pdf

See two excerpts below to help make the point - but do read the guide above because it tells you exactly how to set up the function you want for your camera and your flash - it is very easy.

Wireless Flash Tips

1. Your camera must be set either to P, Tv, Av, M or A-DEP exposure mode for the Integrated Speedlite Transmitter function to work. 

Introduction

This QuickGuide will explain how to use the Integrated Speedlite Transmitter feature incorporated in Canon EOS 7D, 60D, and Rebel T3i (660D) cameras. This feature uses the camera’s built-in flash unit to wirelessly trigger one or more off-camera (slave) Speedlites, either individually or
in groups. Compatible Speedlites include the 580EX II, 430EX II, 320EX, and 270EX II. 

Options include the ability to:

•   Fire one or more Speedlites off-camera and all at the same output, with or without the built-in flash firing

•   Fire two or more Speedlites at different outputs, using A:B ratio control, with or without the built-in flash firing independently

•   Set an A:B ratio between the built-in flash and one or more Speedlites. All Speedlites are combined into one group. 

Thanks.  I've read and re-read the instructions and sought user advice via the forum network.  The average of all intelligent comments is that the Speedlite may be faulty but .....

Now downloaded and when I get a chance I'll run a few tests

I did have all of that before but thanks for taking the time to post.  It may help others as well.

So I now have some updated software and can try a few things but if the Speedlite still doesn't fire in "slave" mode it's going to be declared defective.  As it fires on the shoe I know it works so the "defect" would be in its failure to communicate with the camera either because of hardware or software issues.

Watch this space.

A question if we may - have you set up the camera and the speedlite in accordance with all these instructions?

A second question - if the camera is not new how do you know that it it's IR transmitter is not faulty?

Archived