Pragmatic Pre-Grouping - Mikkel's Workbench

As you say, your original approach seems to be closer to the character of the original - but reading back, I may have misunderstood.  This sketch is what I thought you were doing...

two cuts and one add operation...glazing.jpg.e84f073db7499a2259dfcd397b7a0965.jpg

...or possibly two "adds" if you did both sides of the sash.

Edited by kitpw
  • Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

I agree, Mikkel, that the scribed glazing bars are too thin/delicate. If double lines can work, as per Schooner’s suggestion, then good, but otherwise the original method gives the better overall effect, to my eye.

Nick.

• Like 1
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Gold

Mikkel,

It is the 'what can you see at normal viewing distance' criteria.  The scribed lines in that window would disappear I think.  The general shape, of the buildings, windows, window frames and roof will give the general appearance and overall impression of the place.  I realised that I have made a mistake on mine that although not fatal to the appearance will detract from it, but generally will still look like the type of station I want it to represent.

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

In 7mm I made windows by cutting thin strips of white labels and sticking them onto transparent sheet. start with the horizontal glazing add the vertical the add the strips for the sides and tops over the glazing bars worked quite well from normal distance  maybe not up to todays close ups. Labels were cheap and with a sharp blade ai would cut a number of strips and use the best ones the idea came from Graham Overton. 

I wonder if your scoring method would work with using a lining pen to add the white in the grooves. and gently scrape away any blobs that have strayed over the edges.

Don

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks all. As always, this forum is a fountain of ideas. I'll have a go at both the double-scribe idea and the self-adhesive labels/vinyl (had forgotten about the latter method). Both methods mean I would avoid the risks of glue smudges on the glazing - a pet hate of mine.

Kit: Yes your drawing illustrates the original solution, although I'd rather avoid an inner layer of sashes - again to minimize glue issues. I use Testor's clear parts cement but no glue is 100% transparent in practice (that I've found).

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Mikkel said:

to minimize glue issues

I imagined that you'd dry glaze the sashes - i.e. sash frame/glazing bars on the outside, then glazing, then nothing. The only time I've tried sandwich making, with glazing as the filling, I used actual glass which can be scraped/wiped clean because, like you, I have glue issues, especially the glues that play grandmother's footsteps and create a mist on the glazing sometime later.  

The signal box windows below are single layers of card:  the glazing is cut tight to fit the structural opening and sprung in from the back after securing the frame/glazing bars. 

I notice that the windows on Farthing's station are inset a full brick (9") (this is twice what you'd find on an ordinary Victorian house) and the sashes (upper windows) set in from the main framing. Both contribute to the texture of the facade. For timber windows, a lot of a glazing bar is on the outside of the glass - see this set of typical C18th and C19th timber glazing bars - the glass is set with a deep putty line and makes the shadowing which is characteristic of timber windows in contrast with, for instance, steel windows, where the glass is very close to the outside.  On a model (as on the real building) the part of the frame inside the glass is not much seen, if at all, when the light level on the inside is relatively low. The picture you posted above (on this page) shows that, I think - no sign of the glazing bars inside the glass. However, bright lighting inside the building could change that.

dry-glazed.jpg.ead6747b907ad711b360fa2d29e4ce3e.jpg1929386864_sashbars.jpg.bd304431207e82f1d1f09f34cdb9ed69.jpg

All this is ok but, bearing in mind the mass production required for Farthing, well...

(Post script - actualy post computer crash although RMweb software seems to have retained most of this!) Going back to the pictures and drawings you posted as the "Fifth Bite", any view other than the head on elevation view tends to show the openings rather than what's in them.  As the views become more oblique, the doors and windows disappear, producing a line of sort of sentry boxes.  It's worth thinking about how much focus there will be on individual elements - the roof (and particularly the gutter line), the string course above the windows, the stone lintols and deep reveals are the strongest elements when viewed from any oblique angle - Google streetview says so!)

Kit PW

Edited by kitpw
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

Thank you for these thoughts, Kit.  Yes, the prototype photos suggest little interior framing, so I won't be doing that.

The inset of the windows is another thing I am working on, and trying out different methods to see what can actually be seen in practice. More on that later.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Thanks all, yes the beading and framing is what makes it come alive, I think. I actually wish there was more of this stuff on my chosen prototype. But the decorative limestone will help (and probably drive me mad!). 

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

11 hours ago, Mikkel said:

Thanks all, yes the beading and framing is what makes it come alive, I think. I actually wish there was more of this stuff on my chosen prototype. But the decorative limestone will help (and probably drive me mad!). 

You are making good use of your Silhouette cutter, Mikkel.  Don't forget that you could also make use of Slaters Plasticard Microstrip, which comes in sizes down to 0.01"x 0.02" (0.25 x 0.5 mm), which can be useful for very fine beading.  If you scribe a groove with the cutter, then it can be used to help keep the strip aligned correctly.  Alternatively, you can also use fine wire, again set into grooves made with the cutter.  Once painted over, the mix of materials becomes irrelevant.

Edited by MikeOxon
typo
  • Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, MikeOxon said:

You are making good use of your Silhouette cutter, Mikkel.  Don't forget that you could also make use of Slaters Plasticard Microstrip, which some in sizes down to 0.01"x 0.02" (0.25 x 0.5 mm), which can be useful for very fine beading.  If you scribe a groove with the cutter, then it can be used to help keep the strip aligned correctly.  Alternatively, you can also use fine wire, again set into grooves made with the cutter.  Once painted over, the mix of materials becomes irrelevant.

Yes, what Mike has said is true.  On my MSLR coaches, which are hiding away, the panelling was scribed and 10 thou microstrip rods were glued into them.  (That is not why they were put away, and yes that may be the way to madness, but it does look good.)

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

I find the liquid solvents too fast for laminating styrene. I still use Revell Contacta which is I think a gel with limonine as the solvent. Allows those seconds to get the alignment right. Then the whole assembly gets weighted flat with plenty of drying time. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

I remember reading, many years ago, a Cyril Freezer editorial in which he discussed model building competitions, where some people argued that locos should be entered unpainted, otherwise the judges would be unable to tell how much filler had been used. CJF's view was if the modeller was clever enough to make the whole model from filler, then good for them. I'm not sure what he would have made of a model made from cake, though.

Nick.

• Like 7
  • Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...