Pragmatic Pre-Grouping - Mikkel's Workbench

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Mikkel said:

Hi Phil, as I understand it, the Vallejo Model Color and Model Air ranges are water-based (see here and here). I always thin the Vallejo Model Color paints with waters and get good results.

However, some other paints in the range do seem to be alcohol-based, which I didn't know -  e.g. some of the metallics, see here.

I always use Tamiya paints and they can't be mixed with some water based paints such as Humbrol, or they couldn't be when I first started using them over twenty years ago and I haven't tried to since. Alcohol based acrylic paints dry faster, sometimes too fast.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

I always add a little iso-propyl alcohol to water-based acrylics, to act as a surfactant and so improve its flow over surfaces when applied.  I tend to work with artists tubes of pigment which I apply after initially wetting the surface with an alcohol/water mix,  to build up the required depth of colour.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
On 12/09/2022 at 09:22, PhilJ W said:

There are two types of acrylic paints. Some are alcohol based (Tamiya, Vallejo) and some are water based (Humbrol, Revell). Isopon alcohol also makes a good thinners. You should not use water to thin out alcohol based acrylics.

I personally wouldn't use Isopon P38 as a thinner... ;)

I've successfully used a home brew IPA/water/retarder mix as thinners for Vallejo. I got put off using pure water for acrylics years ago when first trying some Railmatch paints. The resulting surface tension made them a nightmare to use. I've not tried pure water with Vallejo, but having seen Mikkel's work using it, it certainly look to work well.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, 57xx said:

I personally wouldn't use Isopon P38 as a thinner... ;)

I've successfully used a home brew IPA/water/retarder mix as thinners for Vallejo. I got put off using pure water for acrylics years ago when first trying some Railmatch paints. The resulting surface tension made them a nightmare to use. I've not tried pure water with Vallejo, but having seen Mikkel's work using it, it certainly look to work well.

Oops sorry, I meant to say that IPA is good as a brush cleaner but not on cheaper brushes as it tends to dissolve the glue holding the bristles.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Oops sorry, I meant to say that IPA is good as a brush cleaner but not on cheaper brushes as it tends to dissolve the glue holding the bristles.

That's ok, I knew it was a typo (hence the winking smilie) but soon as I saw the word Isopon, car filler came to mind and it made me chuckle.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, magmouse said:

Looking good, Mikkel. What livery will this be in - is it part of your c.1919 series?

Nick.

Thanks Nick, no this is for a 1900-1904 train. I have for some time been focusing on this period on the goods front, so I need passenger trains to match it.

The 1919 thing is to expand the options a bit when operating my small layouts. When I tire of knocking the same 5 wagons about with the same 1-2 locos it feels refreshing to have a session with stock from another period.

9 hours ago, ChrisN said:

If I ever get round to building it, one of these should turn up at Traeth Mawr as a through coach.

I'd love to see that! Though no doubt your station master Mr Price will turn his back. 

Overall I find them nice kits to build, challenging enough to make it interesting but not so complex that it becomes a pain.

There are occasional quirks though. In this particular case one solebar and one lower stepboard were gapped at one end, so had to be joined back up. A production error I assume. The pre-drilled holes in the solebars also do not match the queen posts, perhaps they are re-used from the C10 kit. No big deal but it must have caused some head scratching over the years.

001.jpg.49146760c0ee96ec69e038eceb382995.jpg

Edited by Mikkel
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 3

14 hours ago, Mikkel said:

progress on Newbury station building

...you almost had me fooled:  intent on studying the pictures, I neglected to focus properly on the text and wondered why you were cutting coach sides (or corridors?) out of embossed brick sheet.  

I look forward to your reports on station building progress - bound to be informative and entertaining.  The Slater's coaches are very nice aren't they but quite hard going to build and paint.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, Northroader said:

Very nice looking job. “All the builds on this thread have been completed”, what are you taking??? I want some of it.

Thanks, I wish I was on something, but sadly not. Just a dull principle to only have 2-3 projects on the go at once. I recently had four and it felt chaotic!  🙂

20 hours ago, kitpw said:

...you almost had me fooled:  intent on studying the pictures, I neglected to focus properly on the text and wondered why you were cutting coach sides (or corridors?) out of embossed brick sheet.  

I look forward to your reports on station building progress - bound to be informative and entertaining.  The Slater's coaches are very nice aren't they but quite hard going to build and paint.

I'm not sure about the entertaining bit, but here are some pictures of broken plastic. 

I've been testing Slaters English Bond plastikard for my station building, but  the sheets I got proved highly brittle and were basically useless, simply breaking apart when I pick them up.

001.jpg.af978193c670b78706eb9fe7a54aa530.jpg

I have heard others comment on this issue recently. Hopefully it is just old stock that has gone bad, rather than a change of formula. The strange thing is that I have some other Slater's sheets of the same type which must be at least 15 years old. They seem just fine, and can even be bent like this without breaking:

002.jpg.ceeafb7819e4fb4de8e09385b9915eb2.jpg

So instead I turned to the Southeast Finecast sheets, which I have used in the past. These have recently been taken over by Squires, who now provide the sheets in different colours. I ordered a batch but unfortunately several of the sheets had faults in the brickwork:

003.jpg.691503e6236aae13734ee8b0d19a1474.jpg

Luckily, the problem areas are in the middle of the sheets, and I found I could squeeze in my station sides above and below them. I hope it's just a glitch, but for those who buy these sheets from a physical shop it might be wise to check each sheet before buying (I can't, as they aren't available in Danish shops).

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 6

I have  used both SEF and Slaters brick sheets (but not recently) and found that the SEF were rather too deeply moulded with soft edges/curved faces to the bricks, while the Slaters were flatter/cripser and hence will be my preference for the next part of my layout build. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, kitpw said:

why not?

https://vintagenewsdaily.com/vintage-photos-capture-inside-the-jolly-tar-tavern-car-a-real-pub-that-ran-on-rails-in-london-from-the-late-1940s/

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, phil_sutters said:

Thank you for reminding me of the tavern carriages. I was especially tickled by the James Callaghan quote: “nobody likes these tavern cars except for the public”.

Nick.

• Like 8
  • Funny 1

58 minutes ago, Mikkel said:

Thanks, I wish I was on something, but sadly not. Just a dull principle to only have 2-3 projects on the go at once. I recently had four and it felt chaotic!  🙂

I'm not sure about the entertaining bit, but here are some pictures of broken plastic. 

I've been testing Slaters English Bond plastikard for my station building, but  the sheets I got proved highly brittle and were basically useless, simply breaking apart when I pick them up.

001.jpg.af978193c670b78706eb9fe7a54aa530.jpg

I have heard others comment on this issue recently. Hopefully it is just old stock that has gone bad, rather than a change of formula. The strange thing is that I have some other Slater's sheets of the same type which must be at least 15 years old. They seem just fine, and can even be bent like this without breaking:

On another thread issues with plastic becoming brittle were discussed and I have spoken with a trader who orders extruded plastic parts, whilst these sheets are not extruded apparently the issue is caused by the items being made when the plastic gets too hot, this fault sometimes shows up immediately of after time and may not affect the whole production, from memory its when the plastic gets too hot. If this happens with new stock just return to the seller with proof of purchase

One other thought is to slightly warm up the plastic first if being bent to smallish radii

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 27/01/2023 at 09:07, Jol Wilkinson said:

I have  used both SEF and Slaters brick sheets (but not recently) and found that the SEF were rather too deeply moulded with soft edges/curved faces to the bricks, while the Slaters were flatter/cripser and hence will be my preference for the next part of my layout build. 

I actually like the slight less sharply defined edes to the SEF sheets, as it gives a worn impression. That was also Jim Smith Wright's reason for using them on his superb New Street: https://p4newstreet.com/lnwrbuilding/

You'll note though that he hasn't picked out the mortar courses, and this is where I have had problems with the SEF sheets. I use the wash method to do the mortar, and the results can be less than satisfying with the SEF sheets, as illustrated if you look closely at my weighbridge:

000.jpg.2328ffe8bea54b050a0ca40900054e8f.jpg.8271c97ac359e16c88c28e0dfd406cb9.jpg

On the subject of pointwork, I was interested to see @GWR57xx's method on his Hinton Road thread. He uses light weight filler as seen here: 

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/topic/142457-hinton-road-engine-shed/?do=findComment&comment=4963408

See also Steve's video here:

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
On 27/01/2023 at 10:00, hayfield said:

On another thread issues with plastic becoming brittle were discussed and I have spoken with a trader who orders extruded plastic parts, whilst these sheets are not extruded apparently the issue is caused by the items being made when the plastic gets too hot, this fault sometimes shows up immediately of after time and may not affect the whole production, from memory its when the plastic gets too hot. If this happens with new stock just return to the seller with proof of purchase

One other thought is to slightly warm up the plastic first if being bent to smallish radii

Thanks, that's good to know. I'll see if I can get a better batch of the Slater's sheets before I decide whether to go with them or continue with the SEF sheets. The Slater's sheets certainly seem easier to paint. I used them for the platform edging in the bay at Farthing (before I learnt about English bond!).

15223346452_b0846522d0_o.jpg.11ef1dc4e1377831f6ddc7775e1bd471.jpg

Edited by Mikkel
  • Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Wow - this really is an epic project. It will be worth the effort of getting the silhouette cutter to do the windows to a satisfactory standard, given how many you have to do. The total effect will be spectacular!

Nick.

• Agree 6
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Mikkel said:

The narrow grilles (is that really the word?)

...'glazing bars' or, sometimes, 'astragals' although the latter is really the shape of the moulding but as it was commonplace in Georgian windows, the name of the moulding was applied to the glazing bars. You've taken on quite a challenge with the (Newbury) Farthing station building but results are looking really worthwhile.  The separation of the horizontal and vertical glazing bars is a creative solution! 0.5mm is pretty narrow. 

...and I do wish you luck!!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2