Pragmatic Pre-Grouping - Mikkel's Workbench

6 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

I did buy myself a set of the small and the medium sized ones but so far I've used them when making a card building, not yet for rolling stock. I threw the boxes away but very quickly got them back out of the bin! loose in the toolbox, the clamps are a menace.

Bought some myself, very handy and yes, they do come together with quite some velocity and I have learned the wisdom of keeping them in the box!

Something that is very useful with these is the glass out of one of those pound shop picture frames about the size of a postcard. Glue the glass to a bit of mounting card a quarter of an inch bigger all round after running sandpaper around the cut edges. 

This protects the glass and your fingers.

I figured that out after smashing the first one...

That along with the magnetic clamps should ensure that you build wagons that are square in all three planes.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

Picture frame glass is thin, cheap & probably doesn’t have ground edges, and might be less than perfectly flat.  I think the “frames” which are just glass, clips and a backing board might be toughened, and do have ground edges, so might be better.  

I have a glass shelf from an old  cabinet or something, had it for years, it’s about 5mm thick, very definitely flat, toughened, and ground.  When things get too big, the kitchen worktops are granite, so they're ideal for an overnight glue-setting session.  

But I do like the graph paper idea.

• Like 5

Modern float glass to actually flat, it's just rather thin and brittle. Clip frames do have safe edges but don't tend to be toughened glass. If you want toughened glass of any thickness, a trip to the car breakers and remove a small flat window from an old van is a good bet. I have one that I use to grind in small bits of motorcycle engines that need to be dead flat but have often suffered from the slings and arrows of outrageous bodgery.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

The picture frame that I use is quite old. It has a wood surround and a hardboard backing and the glass is perfectly flat. Only problem is that it is only about 6" X 4", I could sometimes do with something a bit bigger

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I went to the local glaziers and asked them to cut me an A4 sheet of 5mm glass, with the edges smoothed.

I stuck four little rubber feet on to protect the workbench.

1373027747_20220711_0931142.thumb.jpg.f4fa14c1df37c9b8caaa00e26827b906.jpg

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Stubby47 said:

I went to the local glaziers and asked them to cut me an A4 sheet of 5mm glass, with the edges smoothed.

I stuck four little rubber feet on to protect the workbench.

1373027747_20220711_0931142.thumb.jpg.f4fa14c1df37c9b8caaa00e26827b906.jpg

Those Lego blocks make a perfect right angle as well.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

I've no idea where this glass came from, it's 7mm thick and it's been in my workshop collection as long as I can remember.  The wagon is O gauge.

20220711_091830.thumb.jpg.34171afa45328ad3c7bfaa04c002be59.jpg

These are what my grandfather called gravity clamps: blocks of steel turned square on all faces and very useful for modelling (and they don't stick to every thing ferrous in the tool box). Only the front one was made for the purpose, the others are disused machine tool fittings of one sort or another - ancestry unknown.

20220711_091920.thumb.jpg.16a3344b2b9521ff0d3bf27c76b1509e.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

My magnet squares were bought from York Modelmaking.  As for the glass, I have four glass placemats which not only serve as a flat surface to put things on, I use them when laminating coach sides to keep them flat.  You can pile books on top to add weigh even though they are quite heavy.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
On 11/07/2022 at 10:43, ChrisN said:

My magnet squares were bought from York Modelmaking.  As for the glass, I have four glass placemats which not only serve as a flat surface to put things on, I use them when laminating coach sides to keep them flat.  You can pile books on top to add weigh even though they are quite heavy.

I ordered some and they arrived yesterday, two medium and two small. Having a bit of a problem stacking them as the magnets are quite powerful. You put one box on top of another and it shoots off.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

I ordered some and they arrived yesterday, two medium and two small. Having a bit of a problem stacking them as the magnets are quite powerful. You put one box on top of another and it shoots off.

I keep mine together in a plastic bag.  I have two sets of small ones.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, Mikkel said:

I’ve also purchased an Easi-liner pen

They remind me of "Leroy" lettering pens which I used in the days before computers took over drafting and inky fingers became an affliction of choice rather than a daily hazard.  I recall lettering a series of plots of dozens of depth soundings in two long lines across a chart extract of Milford Haven sound - about a week's work. Indeed, every time I read "Minories" on RM web, I am reminded of erands to the Admiralty Chart shop in Minories to collect charts and shortly thereafter, Leroy lettering pens come to mind.  Anyway, I can offer little in the way of advice about their use but the precursor - Leroy - can be found here -http://www.mccoys-kecatalogs.com/KELeroy/3245-15L/3245-15L.htm - if you scroll down a bit.

Figures are getting better and better aren't they?  I do recall you putting forward the opinion that figures "in action" were to be avoided (with which I agree and advice I have followed) but I think Mr Chapman breaks the rules... unless levitation doesn't count?

• Like 5

Some nice figure painting - one of those zillions of things I must get around to one day!  Blanche has completely given up asking for new dresses.

It's all those support structures that put me off resin printers.

Mike

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, kitpw said:

They remind me of "Leroy" lettering pens which I used in the days before computers took over [snip]

I see what you mean. Leroy pen and Easi-liner below it:

image.png.c243e9509e19970a125025ba6e2e920b.png

20220727_072700.jpg.0761aa1550c47d206c8dd06a7972d98a.jpg

Your experience with the former must be handy when lining coaches!

9 hours ago, kitpw said:

Figures are getting better and better aren't they?  I do recall you putting forward the opinion that figures "in action" were to be avoided (with which I agree and advice I have followed) but I think Mr Chapman breaks the rules... unless levitation doesn't count?

Ha! No, I stand by the principle, it was just a bit of fun. 

And yes, "levitation" not "leverage" 🙂

Edited by Mikkel
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, MikeOxon said:

Some nice figure painting - one of those zillions of things I must get around to one day!  Blanche has completely given up asking for new dresses.

It's all those support structures that put me off resin printers.

Mike

Thanks Mike, I need a lot of figures for the main platforms at Farthing so have decided to do a batch every now and then. 

Does each support structure have to be added by the designer? Goodness, I thought the software worked that out. What a job that must be.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, AlfaZagato said:

Wouldn't the appropriate companion to a clerestory be a toplight?

Yes good point, the aim was to do one of those "mixed bag" trains typical of the GWR.

1169875220_gettyimages-82138040-2048x2048paddington3.jpg.297cccca6e90d63ef2ea032a0015cc87.jpg

Source: Getty Images, embedding permitted. No date.

I suppose I'm being corrupted by man's eternal quest for order and neatness. Same internal struggle is involved in biodiversity-friendly gardening!

Edited by Mikkel
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Mikkel said:

Yes good point, the aim was to do one of those "mixed bag" trains typical of the GWR.

1169875220_gettyimages-82138040-2048x2048paddington3.jpg.297cccca6e90d63ef2ea032a0015cc87.jpg

Source: Getty Images, embedding permitted. No date.

I suppose I'm being corrupted my man's eternal quest for order and neatness. Same internal struggle is involved in biodiversity-friendly gardening!

eternal quest for order and neatness. My wife would confirm that I am rather lacking in that.

Rather difficult to date  but the stock in platform 3 suggest post war to me (the great war that is)

Don

• Like 4
  • Agree 1