RMweb

Pragmatic Pre-Grouping - Mikkel's Workbench

16 hours ago, Mikkel said:

Below are the three layers overlaid.

It's a cold, wet and thoroughly dismal morning here in London but your post on the further development of Newbury Farthing station building cheered me up a lot - it's always good to see things beng made and made well. Just the inspiration necessary to go and get on with some modeling, so thank you for posting.

The deep reveals to windows and doors will give the facade a proper set of lights and shadows - really worth the effort to get that, it'll make a big difference to the completed building, particularly when seen under roofs, canopies etc.

Kit PW

Edited by kitpw
  • Like 5
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

On 30/03/2023 at 18:20, Schooner said:

"Care for a sooty brew, Ma'am, lightly seasoned with smuts of only finest Welsh Steam [coal]?"

She does...

stations-paddington-drinks.jpg?imwidth=1

...although she has had to wait till after Grouping to get it, so smuts are probably the least of her worries. Chap in the window fancies a 'nana.

• Like 11
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

Thanks everyone for expressing an interest in some layered bits of plastic in a Copenhagen flat 🙂

13 hours ago, magmouse said:

Great to see this progressing, Mikkel. Although the results from the silhouette cutter aren't completely perfect at the local level, they give a consistency across the building which will be really important for the impact of the completed building. Plus it gives one the opportunity to complete it within one's own lifetime, of course...

Nick.

You have put it very succintly Nick. Looking closely at each door and window will show some minor issues where the cutter has not been precise, or where things are a little too thick. However,  from an impressionistic point of view I am hoping it will all come together. I would like to make a decent representation, but not something that absorbs all my modelling time for the next 5 years.

12 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

He'll be scratch-building carriages next...

It's tempting and there are centainly some excellent examples on here of how it can be done with a Sihouette cutter. But my stash of coach kits and secondhand restoration projects should keep me going for a a long while!

12 hours ago, Dave John said:

I find using whole layers seems to reduce the tendency of unsupported areas to bow inwards as the assembly sets, so it isn't really wasteful Mikkel. 

I'm glad to hear that, Dave, it's what I'm hoping for. It's you superb Edwardian station that prompted me to get going with this one, so your experiences are very welcome.

Edited by Mikkel
  • Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, kitpw said:

It's a cold, wet and thoroughly dismal morning here in London but your post on the further development of Newbury Farthing station building cheered me up a lot - it's always good to see things beng made and made well. Just the inspiration necessary to go and get on with some modeling, so thank you for posting.

The deep reveals to windows and doors will give the facade a proper set of lights and shadows - really worth the effort to get that, it'll make a big difference to the completed building, particularly when seen under roofs, canopies etc.

Kit PW

I know that feeling when someone's modelling cheers me up on a dull day, so am very happy if this has helped a bit, Kit. 

Yes it's striking how effective it can be when doors and windows are set deep in the brickwork. I was tempted to set it even further back because it looked so good, but I think the current depth is more or less correct for the prototype.

Beware of using Google Streetview to estimate depth by the way, it exaggerates depth -  as I found when comparing it to normal photos.

4 hours ago, Bluemonkey presents.... said:

This, as always, is fantastic. Seems I will not have my modelling room after all so looking forward to feet up watching the master instead.

Thanks Matt. Sorry to hear about the modelling room, that's a shame. Do you have room for a small layout maybe?  

3 minutes ago, Coal Tank said:

Lovely work as always Mikkel, I wish that I had those skills 

Thank you  - although knowing your work you not only have the skills, but could do it much better! 

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, Schooner said:

She does...

...although she has had to wait till after Grouping to get it, so smuts are probably the least of her worries. Chap in the window fancies a 'nana.

Ha! He does look peckish. 

On the matter of refreshments, it turns out that the Newbury refreshment rooms had a tea room next door, and both had "cathedral glass" glazing. Now there's a challenge!

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Schooner said:

She does...

6.25 a.m. here and the contents of that trolley look extremely tempting: time for some breakfast... 🍽️

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

The 1930’s refreshment trolley looks to have a very basic range when compared to their WW1 counterpart.

I wonder if you would have seen “The company” providing such facilities during events such as the Henley Regatta….. Newbury race days….

Your new buildings for Farthing look great @Mikkel

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Neal. Race days, that might be a good excuse for such a trolley. The Newbury racecourse had its own station, but Farthing might be different! 😁

Edited by Mikkel
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Dave John said:

Or inkjet printable overhead projector film for a diy solution ? 

Or clear transfer paper - then you can put it on any clear substrate you want.

Nick.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 21/04/2023 at 20:39, Mikkel said:

Thanks Matt. Sorry to hear about the modelling room, that's a shame. Do you have room for a small layout maybe?  

Sadly not really and second best will never really cut it. I need to retreat and evaluate what I can potentially salvage. If not then I have a lot of R-T-R, built kit and unbuilt kits to dispose of! 

For the time being though I am most certainly enjoying (as always) your research and historical presentations as well as the fine modelling on display, thank you.

• Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Gold
On 22/04/2023 at 19:53, Dave John said:

Langley models do stained glass windows;

https://www.langleymodels.co.uk/awd1/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=5287&search=stained+glass

On 22/04/2023 at 19:59, magmouse said:

Or clear transfer paper - then you can put it on any clear substrate you want.

Nick.

Thanks both. I didn't know Langley did those stained glass windows, they look good. I am not sure they are the kind of design I am looking for though. The challenge is that I have no photo or detailed description of the "cathedral glass" used at Newbury (I am not sure that is exactly the same as stained glass btw ?).

The Summer 2013 Newsletter of the Berkshire Industrial Archaeology Group tells us the following about Newbury Station:

“The station restaurant ("refreshment rooms") opened in June [1909]. It was described in the Newbury Weekly News, June 17 ,1909: "The walls are panelled in fumed oak, and the counter is of similar construction, with a rouge marble top. The windows are filled with cathedral glass of pretty design, and the general effect is one of comfort and convenience. Adjoining the main restaurant is a tea-room, quite distinct..." .The first customer paid three pence (3d, or about 1p) for a cup of tea.”

C.W. Judge, in his "A Historical Survey of the Didcot, Newbury & Southampton Railway" (OPC 1984) tells us that the Great Western Magazine (no issue/date given, argh!) also reported that the refreshment and tea rooms at Newbury had “Cathedral Glass”.

For want of further details, I've had a look at stained/cathedral glass glazing in other refreshment rooms. Below is a crop from an photo taken at Birmingham Snow Hill in 1910:

20230416_180325.jpg.ad9688ce932a74368669b3b852910822.jpg

A different technique here, a crop from a  photo taken at Oxford:

20230416_181254.jpg.f3690375c0f56b6ba57987ee8aabac5b.jpg

As mentioned up thread, the Newbury refreshment rooms were to a similar design as those at Stratford on Avon (GWR). The photo in the link below shows a somewhat opulent design in the glazing at the far side of the refreshment room (close study shows that it is not a reflection, but the other side of the room with the sunlight coming through).

https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/gwrsa630.htm

I might try to copy the latter design, should be fun to work out how. Apart from Nick's suggestion, my earlier experiments with the Silhouette cutter scribing directly into the glazing might be a way forward, combined perhaps with some colouring a la Citadel's superb coach windows:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/topic/169935-citadels-workbench-carlisle-in-late-victorian-times/?do=findComment&comment=5138875 

Edited by Mikkel
Misc. typos and things I forgot
  • Like 10

40 minutes ago, Mikkel said:

a crop from a  photo taken at Oxford:

"Take Bovril or take the consequences"... a threat to be taken seriously before embarking on a 4mm version of the leaded light in that building.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Mikkel said:

Apart from Nick's suggestion, my earlier experiments with the Silhouette cutter scribing directly into the glazing might be a way forward, combined perhaps with some colouring a la Citadel's superb coach windows:

I think there are three parts to modelling this type of window - the leading, the colour and the texture of the glass. For the leading, using the silhouette cutter would be good, as you can get a different feel and texture compared to the glass itself - better, I suspect, than printing the glass with the leading included in the print. You might still be able to do the colour as an ink-jet print on transfer paper, applied to the other side of the clear plastic to the scrubbing by the silhouette cutter. A bit of careful scaling of the artwork should get them to line up.

For texture, I think Citadel's etched glass effect is too much in this case - it needs something more transparent.That might need a bit of experimenting with different materials - some clear plastic packaging has a bit of a texture to it - it's usually what we are trying to avoid, of course!

Nick.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Have a look at the clear tinted acrylic paints (type stained glass painting kit into Google). Coupled with scribing using the Silhouette Cutter think you might get some quite interesting effects (for the full monty though think you’ll need to combine with interior lighting).  At 4mm scale you may need to channel French Impressionism but what an interesting thing to attempt - it’s getting me quite excited anyway (need to get out more!)

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Fortunately, as far as I know, the glass in Cambrian windows was always plain; no spare money to splash around.

Going back, I am interested that you are using Forex as the base structure.  As you know I have used mounting card which is alright but the embossed plasticard finishes are only held on using PVA by goodwill and prayer.  I could use impact adhesives but that would mean modelling down the bottom of the garden as they smell, as as my modelling table is in the same room as the dinning table.........

I shall be interested in your progress to see how you get on, and explore this more on my thread nearer the time I start my next build.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 22/04/2023 at 17:53, Dave John said:

I used an OHP slide when I made the stained glass windows for a 1/32nd scale model of our local church. You need to beef up the colours to get the right effect with ordinary inkjet printer inks. In Photoshop Elements there is an effect called 'multiply' that can double the density of the colours on each application. The colour held up OK for three or four years, but seems to have faded a bit since. I backed the slide with a more rigid transparent plastic sheet, fixing it round the edges with double-sided tape.

Make sure that the windows are printed the right way round. I realized I had initially done it wrong as the church was mainly viewed from the outside, with lighting inside, but I had photographed them from inside. Although one could see the images from the back of the original transparency, the colours were much stronger and the lead lines sharper, when printed in reverse on the side they were viewed from.

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2