4mm Scale GWR coach bogies

Hi All,

Has anyone compiled a list of currently available Great Western coach bogies and the relative merits of each manufacturers products?

I am rapidly running out of my supplies of kits - all white metal, non-compensated types, all dating from the 70's & 80's and I am trying to decide what to go with in the future. I would be interested in what everyone feels about the accuracy, quality and availability of suitable modern products. White metal or brass, compensated and non-compensated? I have a requirement for about 10 pairs of 9' pressed steel type and also the 7' & 8'6" bogies for the articulated suburban stock. A listing might be something for Miss Prism's website at the bottom of the coach listing page if that is not too much of an imposition.

Something which would also be of help is stating if the manufacturer has easy mail order. Living Down-under makes it a bit difficult to deal with suppliers who only sell through the various shows and exhibitions in the UK.

Dave 

edit : spelling

For  9' pressed steel type I currently use Bachmann  from their spares range (and they come with wheels etc). I have used BSL, Westward, 247 Developments - all the same in ease of construction - no particular issues with any of them. I have used Comet as well, but have now replaced them as they are way too wide in my opinion.

For  7' & 8'6" matched artic bogies only 247 Developments sold them until recently. Larry parts used to sell them though, from marks in the casting, I suspect they are one and the same.

Mike Wiltshire

Thanks Mike

As to the Bachmann bogies - how are the attached and what design of bolster would I need for these? I'll be using brass or aluminium bases/floors in my models. Bachmann parts are reasonably easy to get hold of in Oz so they seem to be the way to go for my 'Sunshine' stock.

The artic. bogies could cause me a few problems. I'm part way through a scratch build of a full six car set and require 4 x 7' and 4 x 8'6" to make 2 three car sets. I will try 247 Developments to see if they have any remaining stock but this could set things back a bit.

It would be great if someone could come up with one combined list of all the GWR bits and pieces that are available for scratchbuilding or conversion/correction. I seem to spend hours trawling the net to try and find fittings etc. and have become quite used to having Google give me results that are nothing like what I was trying to find.

Dave 

Thanks Mike

As to the Bachmann bogies - how are the attached and what design of bolster would I need for these? I'll be using brass or aluminium bases/floors in my models. Bachmann parts are reasonably easy to get hold of in Oz so they seem to be the way to go for my 'Sunshine' stock.

Dave 

The bogies I have been buying have a flat surface which I glue a piece of plasticard or glue in a spacing washer from brass coach kits. I solder an 8 or 10BA bolt to the underframe and make and fix a running bolster to the underframe, adding further layers until the desired ride height is achieved. At £7.00 UK they are a very reasonably priced alternative to cast bogies which would cost approx £14 UK including wheels and then you have to make them.

Mike Wiltshire

Thanks to all for the help and suggestions. 

My collection runs with a sellection of couplers - some have various types of tension lock, a large number have Peco simplex and equivalents and yet others have screw couplers of various types. Forty years of collecting and modelling have seen me try out most readily available types - just never could get the hang of Spratt & Winkle though. Even though I model mainly GWR with all their history of standardisation my models are far from standardised as far as couplers, wheels and other fittings are concerned. One batch of coaches had LMS underframe details as that was all I had to hand at the time!  

Dave

• 4 weeks later...

I use Replica Railways bogies, which are the same as the original Mainline versions.  The Bachmann version is a development of these.  The difference is that the Replica one has the pivot pin still as part of the moulding, whereas on the Bachmann one it's been removed and replaced with a hole.

I've used them to re bogie Lima Siphon Gs.  You do also need to enlarge the pivot hole in the floor, cut some wheel clearance holes in the floor, and put a short piece of plastic tube collar over the pivot pin to get the body to ride at the correct height. The plastic tube from one of those pump action "handwash" bottles is about the right diameter.

One other thing, they're a lot cheaper than the Bachmann one too.      

• 1 year later...

Just a few I 3D printed on Shapeways for my on use which are now offered for sale at http://www.shapeways.com/shops/stafford_road_model_works?section=Coach+Components&s=0

These re not intended to be fine scale models just something to replace the rtr Hornby and Lima bogies fitted to Siphon G, H, Hornby short clerestories at a similar standard. Although fitted with nem pockets. I've only tested them with intermediate and wide tension locks.

GWR 9' American Bogie Hornby Airfix Fit Mk2

GWR American Bogie - LIMA Fit

GWR American Bogie  - Hornby/Airfix Fit

Clerestory brake coach

Archived