West Croydon - 80s/90s Network SouthEast

Pete 75C

Photographic survey done. There's quite a few photos so I'll post them in relevant batches.

As the footbridge is being discussed I'll make that the first set

post-6953-0-47356500-1432551290_thumb.jpg

post-6953-0-05163400-1432551313_thumb.jpg

post-6953-0-67877500-1432551327_thumb.jpg

post-6953-0-77384200-1432551346_thumb.jpg

post-6953-0-76821900-1432551366_thumb.jpg

post-6953-0-77969800-1432551387_thumb.jpg

post-6953-0-86975500-1432551430_thumb.jpg

post-6953-0-87700400-1432551454_thumb.jpg

post-6953-0-34368800-1432551800_thumb.jpg

post-6953-0-53615700-1432551820_thumb.jpg

post-6953-0-15466400-1432551400_thumb.jpg

Some of the Tramway track

post-6953-0-07586800-1432553776_thumb.jpg

post-6953-0-77677300-1432553790_thumb.jpg

post-6953-0-70915300-1432553807_thumb.jpg

post-6953-0-27406400-1432553827_thumb.jpg

post-6953-0-85608800-1432553842_thumb.jpg

If there are any other photos required, please let me know. Also, if you want copies of the originals PM me and I'll send them to you

I've never known a layout like it... I have things to do such as finish the ballasting etc, but I find myself getting distracted by details...

Playing around with some 3mm "warm white" LEDs and some 1mm fibre optic, I've come up with the following result in an attempt to provide lighting for the siding walkway. Brass rod was ruled out as it's a bugger to get a clean straight cut. Instead, I've used 2mm hollow styrene tubing with a 1mm inside diameter. That makes the light posts 6 inches in "real life" and I know that's overscale but I'm not going to get hung up about it. An advantage of using styrene tubing is that it's easy to cut on a craft guillotine or even by hand with a Stanley blade. Having attempted to dome the ends of the fibre optics by getting them close to a soldering iron (thanks again for that tip), it then occurred to me to "dome" the whole thing... fibre optic and styrene tubing in one go. This resulted in quite a pleasing shape to the top of the light pole. Not strictly accurate, and I'm aware that 90% of the light shoots straight up, but I think they look ok. Only another 18 or so to do for the walkway... In the picture below, you can see that I haven't bothered to wrap the light source - I'll do that when they're in place on the layout. Also, I discovered that bunching 6 fibre optic strands gave a nice tight fit inside the 3mm internal diameter plastic tubing. That works out at 4 x 3mm LEDs to power the walkway - I can live with that.

post-17811-0-45919600-1432810862.jpg

post-17811-0-35793300-1432810863.jpg

Yeah, that's what I was thinking, Ian. At absolute eye level, there's not much light to be seen, but at normal viewing height, I quite like the effect. These distractions are actually very welcome, because the ballasting's taking sooooooooo long (yawn). I've got about 18 feet of track to ballast on just the left-hand board, painting PVA around each individual sleeper. Looks ok though. I'll take some pictures when it's all done (I'm at about 80%) and it's had some basic weathering.

Cracking job on the LED light posts, I think when finished and installed, they will indeed look like the photo in post 204.

Your idea of doming both the fibre and the tube is a good one. It then got me thinking, what small spheres you could get to create that actual light head and after a bit of a search I found these http://www.held.co.uk/products-page/modern-techniques/mt5-2-glass-balls-10g-3mm-diam/. They also do 2mm and 4mm ones. At a rough count it looks like you get about 200-250 3mm ones; 1.3p each.

Sometimes getting distracted in detail is a good thing, especially as you are trying to do the ballasting which is a long tedious task!

• RMweb Gold

I've been enjoying this build, and thought this view (from the fiddle yard?) would be useful. The supports for the pavement look interesting. I live up the line at Brockley, and Croydon is one of my occasional shopping locations. One of my favourite shops there was Turtles, a great loss when it closed for supposed redevelopment. Another shop I liked actually at West Croydon was Bull Electrical, near  the corner of Tamworth Rd. An Aladdin's cave of interesting looking technology, long gone from Croydon, but still on the internet.

post-6902-0-22278500-1432851967_thumb.jpg

I have a couple of ideas for the brick and concrete of the tram route. I haven't had the chance to try them out yet, but if you think them a possibility, I'll have a go. For the brickwork it would be a matter of lasercutting a sawtooth profile from 1mm sheet. Stacked and painted you get a wall. If the sections are narrow enough it should be possible to shape to a slight curve if required.

For the concrete the idea is to lasercut a series of slots about 2/3 of a mm wide ( the highs/lows look about 2") in sheet of thin card. This would be stuck to a thicker backing sheet, and final walling cut from that.

If that's not too clear let  me know and I'll post sketches.

Thanks

Dave

Those tiny little glass spheres are interesting... I'm struck by how bright the light actually is at the very tip of the fibre optic. Could make for some interesting (and almost exactly to scale) light features. Lose one of the 2mm sheres and you'd never find it again though!

Hi Pete, I love Duncan's pics...

Agreed Andy, and they will be invaluable when it comes to disguising the track exit at the left-hand end. Still amazed at how leafy and green this little bit of Croydon is. I've got fond memories of Wandle Park as a little oasis amongst the concrete.

The supports for the pavement look interesting.

attachicon.gifRIMG0137.JPG

I have a couple of ideas for the brick and concrete of the tram route.

Dave, almost the entire pavement at the junction of Tamworth Rd/Ruskin Rd is cantilevered out over the edge of the retaining wall and you're right, it is an unusual feature. Should be easy enough to do with some H section styrene strip. Not sure if it will even be noticeable when viewed froim the front but it's definitely a feature that will be included on the layout.

Re: the angled brickwork, I did go ahead and order a bag of those individual (and almost to scale) beige bricks. I will have a go at creating the slope using the individual bricks and a card or plastic former. If it goes pear-shaped, you'll be the first to know as I'll be in need of other options! Thanks.

I've got one small 6" section of ballasting left to do and then I need to spend some time getting a scruffy urban edge to the cess with a few weeds etc. The trackwork has taken an absolute age but the end is in sight. I'll be tempted to get the bridge supports for the Roman Way flyover in place, together with a few other scenic bits and pieces before starting all over again with the ballasting on the right-hand board.

Hi Pete, I am really looking forward to seeing your new project progress as I was a big fan of your impressive Croydon North Street.

Great work on the walkway lights, they look really good. Having tried to use fibre optics for the pit lights on Boxenby, I know how difficult it can be to get a decent result. You certainly have achieved it!

I agree with David, Evergreen produce some lovely sheets. What about the Metal siding? That might suit, the sheets come with different spacing between the ribs and rib width.

Hi David. It was the Wills box-section sheets that I used as cladding on the depot building on North Street. Maybe a tad overscale, but they're certainly cheaper than the Evergreen sheets. I think it would be a good choice and my wallet will be happier too. I used some of the much finer section Evergreen v-groove sheets to clad the bridge supports for the Roman Way flyover, but at around £5.50 for a single small sheet - ouch.

post-17811-0-31234800-1432888969.jpg

Evergreen produce some lovely sheets. What about the Metal siding? That might suit, the sheets come with different spacing between the ribs and rib width.

Agreed, the Evergreen sheets are excellent and there's plenty of choice. I'm just mentally adding up in my head what I've spent on styrene strip and plastic sheet over the last 6 months and I got a bit of a fright... The 3 bridge supports for the Roman Way flyover each took one of the Evergreen v-groove sheets. The supports themselves cost nothing and were just cut and shaped from scrap wood and plastic so maybe I shouldn't complain about the cost of the cladding!

Hi Pete, I daren't add up what I have spent on modelling bits.......Mrs G would probably explode! Well no probably about it!

I need quite a few of the Evergreen sheets to cover my depot, might have to approach the BOE for some funding!

Ballasting looks really good, well worth the time and effort as the results speak for themselves. I look forward to your next update.

Archived