The Great Australian Outdoors

robertc

If you hang the motor vertically behind the rear axle, it should all fit well within the firebox. I used to own a Century-Models 19 class and that was how it was designed. Not sure if lots of room for flywheel, but I seem to recall that I had someone turn a custom one for me which did the trick.

We had DCC problems with Stringybark Creek in the early days, and so sometimes a loco would "bolt" thinking it was on straight DC power at 16 volts. As I recall, when that happened to a 19 class, it would "bolt" at less than full-size walking pace or about 40-45 scale miles per hour.

That mounting works if you are using a gearbox, I am not Martin.

The problem would normally be poor pickup with the loco or short recovery with some systems.

Easily solved by turning off dc recognition and ensuring the electrical path from wheel treads to decoder is as it should be.

cheers

Bob

The boiler now a bit lighter  :>)

588663060_P1010647s.JPG.1d38f9231a90b672e5ba9d82da7fdfbf.JPG

Sadly, judging by the sales on feebay this last week, we must have lost a keen NSWGR 7mm modeller recently.

Not many of us to start with.

cheers

Bob

Edited by robertc

Sadly, judging by the sales on feebay this last week, we must have lost a keen NSWGR 7mm modeller recently.

Not many of us to start with.

cheers

Bob

Hi Bob

Yes unfortunately we did loose another 7mm NSW Modeller

I was advised this week by his Daughter that “Ian McLean” form Cowra had passed.

I passed on our Condolences on behalf of all Aus7 Modellers.

The wheels turned  for the first time today under power.

Got to finish the siderods and install the bushes.

1727045761_P1010649s.JPG.47a19a1ab8055f9fe2c8f37b042a2e71.JPG

Someone got themselves a very cheap 50 class kit on feebay.

cheers

Bob

Edited by robertc
  • Like 1

Yes Cheap kit

I saw that mid $600’s but some question if it was a complete kit if going by the description,

someone from Tamworth selling, I met a Modeller from Tamworth 3 year ago at an exhibition who was a NSW O scale Modeller but not a Aus7 member but can’t remember his name.

Great news that the 19 Chassis is a runner

Are the coupling rods made out of rail pieces.  If so, can I ask how you made them please so I can do the same on my locos.

Granted I mainly model in 4mm scale ( I can hear the booing already ), but In my defence I do have a 7mm scale 4-6-2 locomotive which I would like to replace the main coupling rod.

On my loco the main coupling rod is articulated and I would like to try and avoid any problems if the pin that is holding the rods together should ever fail and cause a nasty derailment or badly damage the loco.

If I may ask, what loco do you have? Premier components do some excellent solid milled rods for quite a few British locomotives.

Name ??? ,the coupling rods I started with were made out of C124 rail before I realised the ones fitted to the 19 class were not fluted.

The ones now shown are made from pc board strips sold for making O gauge points. I filed the shape after  drilling the holes using one of the rail siderods as a guide.

I initially drilled the rail rods  as a pair, temporarily tack soldered together, then using that as a guide I drilled the starting holes in the frames.

In HO I used Peco C100 rail in a similar manner after filing the foot down both sides.

When using rail section you can solder some blobs on in the appropriate places and file them to  more closely get the shape around the crank pins.

cheers

Bob

Another trial assembly last night.

1876420330_P1010651s.JPG.fe9f20f08a87d844c99082e9f4c561a3.JPG

Roof detail ,reversing rod and rear sandboxes were the latest bits added.

Chris, you are right some might have worried that bits were missing.

cheers

Bob

Edited by robertc
  • Like 1

Hi Mike, those part works are offered all around the world. They are even sold  in my local newsagents out here in the bush. Never bought into them since getting caught with missing bits from earlier offers.

Well done, you should get some enjoyment from your efforts.

cheers

Bob Comerford

A lot of the work done recently can't be seen, but the Col Shepherd buffers, tender handrails and some riveting can be seen .

1589125859_P1010653s.JPG.1300ea0f05940f434d374e670d5cfaf7.JPG

Finish the wiring and drill the holes for attaching the bodies to the chassis' might be next.

cheers

Bob

Edited by robertc
  • Like 3

See all these photos has started giving me strange urges to go down to Berg's Hobbies in Parramatta, buy some drawings and styrene and a new set of hobby knives and scribers.

Marty that’s great news that your inspired and ready to get back into it, if you also get a small inglenook/ shelf layout/ test track up and running you will have that bit more motivation to see something running.

I alway find if I haven’t got a running layout of some sort the motivation isn’t as high.

What plans are you going to get???

Well Martin, stop talking about it and get off your butt and do something.

If you can't really afford 7mm and don't have the room then change to a scale that fits your wallet and stop dreaming.

Chris's advice on getting somewhere to run a train, even if it is only a plank is good advice.

If the news filtering through to me that the 7mm layout at Mortdale is under threat proves to be true that will be the end of AMRA for me.

Such a missed opportunity for the up and coming O gaugers in and around Sydney to have gone there and converted it to run both 2 and 3 rail and installing closed frog points so a variety of wheel profiles can be accommodated.

Thanks for the links Chris.

I couldn't resist putting on a first coat of black yesterday despite much detail still to be added and the dome and stack not yet fixed as I am waiting on some others to use.

475269668_P1010659s.JPG.beb91e8912416a7a6125ae81fc8fa8d6.JPG

It does start to look the part.

cheers

Bob

Edited by robertc
  • Like 4

There’s no mistaking it’s a 19

Looks really good Bob.

I had not heard anything about the AMRA 3Rail O layout being under threat

I know a few people that pushed for a long time for 7mm fine scale layout or at least joint running with 2 Rail on the big track but were told in no uncertain terms that would never happen.

Such a shame to hear that about AMRA-NSW. There is a lot of lost potential membership without a 7mm timescale layout. Most of their O-gauge members either still run old O-gauge house 1950s-era stuff, or use American/British 3-rail O gauge.

Unfortunately, I am not in a position to build, fund or store a 7mm roundy-round even if it is only a bare-bones test-track type layout. Shelf shunter for me it will have to be.

And to answer your question, I think the plans would have to be for a 20-class tank engine, as I have been waiting some 15 years now for the ruddy kit to come out. 

Well Martin, I look forward to reading your thread here on building your 20 class.

Get the Data sheet, blow it up to 7mm and shoot off a few copies. Cut some out and paste them to the material you intend to build it from and start cutting and filing.

Hi Chris, there seem to be a few ructions happening at Mortdale at the moment.

It is frustrating being so far away.

cheers

Bob

I got a bit carried away and ordered the Shapeways dome and stack, very much blowing the budget. However they are nice.

Will save the others for a 32 or standard goods.

cheers

Bob

P1010664 s.JPG

Edited by robertc
  • Like 1