Hornby New Detail HST into a HST prototype

Well for the last couple of months I have been getting together bits to start my conversion, my last element arrived today. a New Hornby early HST production sample body.

so I have been working on looking at how to put it together today.

I been lucky to get some castings Shane's (Wolf27) made on ebay he was selling as scrap.

well 1 hour later of cleaning up 2 out of the 4 noses with my BRM subscription rotacraft the units are cleaned up enough for me to say they are good to go.

I will be fixing the finished body onto the Hornby railroad hst chassis then looking to make a mould for creating a pair of resin cast bodies.

post-19701-0-99381300-1428759070_thumb.jpg

post-19701-0-51553700-1428759084_thumb.jpg

post-19701-0-13016300-1428759122_thumb.jpg

Edited by damo2929
  • Like 3

Hi good luck with this project.

One of the members at the club I attend Shildon Model Railway Club has done one of these based on the early Hornby variant, it can be seen on youtube by searching for Runswick Leamside the latest video by "unclerayraybatch" 

link (hopefully) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8hcig5Nwv8

• Like 1

Looks a good challenge, even compared to the genesis kit. And of course the wolfs project was outstanding.

Have you got some lima bogies ? Or are the railroad ones now the same , as the early Hornby ones were awful.

Penna Lane TMD is by me iam UncleRayray batch  take a look at my layouts web site  http://pennalanetmd.webs.com/and here is the link to my youtube page https://www.youtube.com/user/unclerayraybatch

however i do have one for my layout Penna lane tmd too and then there is also one for Shildon model railway club which ill be uploading all vids to of the clubs layouts including the new one Runswick Leamside.

enjoy

hope to see you at the museum stu

Looks a good challenge, even compared to the genesis kit. And of course the wolfs project was outstanding.

Have you got some lima bogies ? Or are the railroad ones now the same , as the early Hornby ones were awful.

yes the railroad ones are upgraded lima chassis and bogies. although the mounting points for the new Hornby chassis will still be in the moulding.

Well for the last couple of months I have been getting together bits to start my conversion, my last element arrived today. a New Hornby early HST production sample body.

so I have been working on looking at how to put it together today.

I been lucky to get some castings Shane's (Wolf27) made on ebay he was selling as scrap.

well 1 hour later of cleaning up 2 out of the 4 noses with my BRM subscription rotacraft the units are cleaned up enough for me to say they are good to go.

I will be fixing the finished body onto the Hornby railroad hst chassis then looking to make a mould for creating a pair of resin cast bodies.

Do you hAve any contact details of where you got the cast cabs

• 3 weeks later...

Hi good luck with this project.

One of the members at the club I attend Shildon Model Railway Club has done one of these based on the early Hornby variant, it can be seen on youtube by searching for Runswick Leamside the latest video by "unclerayraybatch" 

link (hopefully) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8hcig5Nwv8

That looks great.

Good luck with the project.

• 7 months later...

No point in this now really is there? Locomotion and Rapido has beaten you to it lol

Technically I have already 'beaten them to it' by about three years. There is always a point to something. I can't compete with an organisation that has x amount of financial support and resources. I'm making these on my bench in the shed by hand. So for me yes there is a point. Satisfaction.

Cheers

Shane

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I too am modelling the HSDT.

The photos of the catering vehicles are not numerous, that is certain!

It has taken me 12 months to amass sufficient to model them to my satisfaction, with support from one of our club members [thanks Melvyn].

Working from the line drawings that are published is also complicated, as most do not show the corridor side of the vehicles, also most shots of the set are  running 1st class first, obviously all ''up'' trains.

Assessing what and where the prototypes varied from production is as Wolf 27, very interesting, to say the least.

Note; the 2 catering car bodyshells are different, small details, but if we're doing it, why compromise?

Also the 2 power cars were not a pair, there are small detail differences, the most obvious being the side main cooling grilles, 41001 being much finer and appear vertical, whilst 41002 was modified to pretty much the production variant [but when?]. I am modelling the set in 1974, just before going on to fare-paying services.

I am dubious to copy any photos because of accidental infringement of copyright, and I cannot remember all my sources.

If anyone wishes to pm me with a specific query, I will try to help.

I started out using Genesis nose cones, but have re-shaped the Hornby nose and used the Genesis valance and buffers. It's coming along, but is not yet photogenic.

I am using early bodies with the separate cab moulding, I used MekPak flowed into the joint with a brush to release them from the main body. The Genesis nose is designed to fit this main body. Also these early bodies are easily and cheaply available  from E-bay when you make a mistake.

The Hornby body was also apparently drawn off  41001, several errors on the production body are in fact correct for this prototype, drawings printed onto kids' tracing paper on my scanner/copier and overlaid onto a class 43 drawing show many of the subtleties.

if doing this, remember to reduce the copy size to allow for Hornby working to 3.75mm to the foot [i think], the drawings being to 4mm scale, I reduce by 93%. This allows the components to be matched to the drawing without resorting to rules, calipers and squares too often.

Hope this above helps, and I hope that I have not led too many of you astray.

Pete

Edited by Sun Street

Probably a long way off for you, but southern finecast Hornby mk1 glazing is an exact fit for the side and rear windows if using the early Hornby body shell, the guards door Windows on the shell seem to be about half the length on the class 41.

Can't wait to see the finished result of the conversion. Looking forward to it.

Wouldn't it be great also if these conversions on Hornby or Lima Powercars lead to the trust that owns 41001 buying a powercar and carrying out conversion of it to recreate 41002 along with 5 more coaches to recreate the full HSDT instead of just seeing 1 powercar and 3 coaches.

Well, at least they will have patterns off which to work, unlike most re-creations.  ;) albeit at the other end of the train.

• 2 months later...

Having done quite a bit more research into the power cars [and probably re-inventing the wheel created by Shane], the differences that I have spotted between the 2 power cars appear after a visit to the works when the 2 were re-numbered. I suspect that the 2 were a pair until then.

As I am modelling the unit in 1975, the running numbers will be 43000 [41001] and 43001 [41002].

43000 dampers angled on the bogies, 43001 were vertical 'AP' [As Production] 

43000 main grilles have around 50 slats, 43001 has around 28 per grille [AP].

43000 cant-rail grilles are similar to those on a Deltic or Brush type 4 [class 47]. Those on 43001 are half'n'half [similar to 'AP']

Both have a different spacing to the cant-rail grilles when compared to the production units, as well as differences in exhausts and roof louvres. The easiest part is the changing of the Guard's doors, using a sharp scriber. The rear sides also are profiled similarly to a coach, not so on the production units.

As I am ''kit-bashing'' my pair for observation at around 3', full rivet-counting is not critical in my view, but never-the-less, I am trying to minimise my compromises.

The chassis on both have DCC chip and bass-reflex speaker ported through the bottom of the equipment boxes and fuel tanks. There is also another device, of which more in future within the body.

Why am I doing it when there is an intention for them to be modelled in the near future? Cost! So far, the speakers and chips were the price of a Garrett, and the power cars were £10 off e-bay. I admit to also buying both a Deltic bodyshell and a class 47 for cutting up.

Any advice, help, observations gratefully received.

Next, the coaches.

They need to be flush-sided as the frames were on the inside, not outside as modelled by Hornby and Lima, then again some were at some point. The roof vents differ from proto to prod, so do the door shapes, but that is one compromise that I will be making.

I'll post again soon as I get further on, if anyone is interested.

All the best to you and your projects.

Pete

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Well, well,

So it is worth doing it yourself after all!

I see production has been deferred indefinitely, so it's out with the glue and files again.

I will post some shots of how I have created the catering cars out of Jouef 1st/2nd cars.

Also it's not too bad shaving off the window frames.

If they are sanded off, there is a very fine flange left, which is ideal to maintain the aperture to be correct and not oversize [i ruined 2 before finding out].

The glazing then sits perfectly, in my view.

More to follow.

it's the next personal project after various items [buildings, vehicles etc.] for our new club layout.

i have also become custodian of one of our exhibition layouts, which has needed detailed refreshment and other t.l.c.. It has been out 3 times since my last post and is due on the Continent in the autumn.

Tararabit ! [translation, good-bye for now. Anyone else a Wulfrunian?]. Go on, admit it!   :declare:  :ok:

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Ever shot yourself in the foot?

A month ago, l threw out a box of bubble-wrap. As I did it, l thought to myself ''Why was that there?''

On Tuesday, l found out why it was where it should not have been, it was only half-full of bubble-wrap,.

What was the other half ?

15 [yes 15!] Mark 3 coach shells, 8 converted to prototype configuration, including the catering cars, the others being prepped to create the first squadron set, plus power car shells 43002 and 3.

Ah well!

Back to the work-table.

I have had a fortunate buy at our local show, picking up 8 Jouefs for £40 for Justin [just in case they were needed by someone].

So, this time, I shall do a strip of images as to how l create the catering cars.

If l feel that they are good enough, l will put'em up on here.

Why the delay? I have searched my flat 5 times and 3 lock-up garages of car parts 3 times, just making sure.

Moral?

Always look at the inside bottom of any box that is being thrown out.

Such an idiot, am l!