The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Bye Bye Mr Smiths

Swifty11

Following a devastating fire in the early hours of Monday morning, Mr Smiths in Warrington is now being demolished due to it becoming too unsafe. 

Believed to be arsine, about 5 little (insert adjectives here) have been arrested 

Very sad to see it go, passed it 1000s of times without any doubt. 

R.I.P

16970096378_89c58a0311_z.jpgMr Smiths Warrington after the fire by Swifty11Productions, on Flickr

16950469387_bdab095944_z.jpgMr Smiths Warrington after the fire by Swifty11Productions, on Flickr

16971697639_8325851ac8_z.jpgMr Smiths Warrington after the fire by Swifty11Productions, on Flickr

16971694569_b85f49bcf3_z.jpgMr Smiths Warrington after the fire by Swifty11Productions, on Flickr

Tom

You must be far too young to have ever been in Mr Smiths!

A real den of iniquity at its height!

Where do the scallies of Warrington go now?!?

Cheers, Mike

Only reason I know it is because of its location, pass it most days!

No idea, tbh as long as the answer is 'far away from me' I'm fine!

• RMweb Gold

Tom

You must be far too young to have ever been in Mr Smiths!

it make me laugh when swifty writes and talks like an old man, the truth is i've got underpants older than him!!

i was driving past mr smiths last week thinking "i wonder what they will do with that", certainly going to look odd coming over bridgefoot and it not being there anymore

i've never been out in warrington but used to frequent a couple of dance record shops there, now both gone, the closest i ever used to get to warrington was the ritzy in bromborough (now i also believe gone/closed) or the club night they had in helsby in the mersey view hotel, chester was a regular but i never ventured too far from home and used to go to the Tiv in buckley and the potters wheel (both of which i used to DJ in), even the potters has gone, soon to be an aldi, we used to get 400 people a night in there on a thursday back in the mid to late 90s something practically unthinkable now days, a lock out pub with a queue to get in on a weeknight!!

as an aside i know im getting old as my little un was pleased i'd bought a playstation 2 at a car boot sale so he could play "retro" games

• RMweb Gold

The subject of this topic got me really worried.

For a brief moment I thought that the W H Smith's library had called in the receivers and where would I now be able to read the latest magazines.   :jester:

Following a devastating fire in the early hours of Monday morning, Mr Smiths in Warrington is now being demolished due to it becoming too unsafe. 

Believed to be arsine, about 5 little (insert adjectives here) have been arrested 

Very sad to see it go, passed it 1000s of times without any doubt. 

I very much doubt it, because in the quantity required to start a fire the five little chemical experimentalists would almost certainly be dead. Likewise concerning passing it, arsine would probably have killed you the first time. Obscure perhaps, but at one time in my career there was regular risk of exposure and we had to be very careful.

http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/docs/1970/79142_32.html

There's 3 in custody currently regarding it and another 2 fires in Warrington in the past week

It's being treated as suspicious and there is a hell of a lot of police interest as to if its started deliberately

The insurance pay out would be in the millions, it was due to become a youth centre and that would be signed in around 3 weeks.

Obviously that's not going to happen now!

The investment required from purchase to complete was in excess of £10 Million

The building also contained a lot of wood floors and things like that, so whatever started it meant it really didn't take long to take hold

It was still smoking today so must have been incredibly hot!

One of the theories is the people possibly involved could have broken in and set various fires and placed accelerants in different parts of the building. Lit the fire and ran like the wind!

Still, very sad to see it go because I've seen it likely in the thousands of times passing by...

And it'll make giving directions much harder as the main description for telling people how to navigate the many roundabout is the 'it's the Mr smiths one' and 'yeh the exit where smiths is' etc etc

I know! Would of loved to have gone to one of those!

In all seriousness though, how hard would it be to do a 4mm version?

Would be nice to fill that edge I have in the scenery plan!

Go on I give up what was it?

All sorts of things

First was the Ritz cinema

Then it was the very well known 'Mr Smith's' Nightclub

To most people in Warrington it's everyone's favourite building because of its history and how special it is to a lot of people

When the first demolition plan came up everyone fought against it and the council disapproved the planning application

It was due to become a youth centre and it would be sold and signed on the dotted line in 3 weeks time

• RMweb Premium

Nice lot of pictures on 't web:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Mr+Smiths+warrington&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=HuwuVfviKMzvauq_gdAH&ved=0CDEQsAQ&biw=1920&bih=920

There were also Mr Smith's in Hanley and one in Madchester They were sister clubs but were they the same group as the Warrington one?

Used to have young ladies whose clothes seemed to keep falling off! (So I have been told!)

Keith

...Used to have young ladies whose clothes seemed to keep falling off! (So I have been told!)...

Not knowing an iota about Warrington I did wonder if it was the knocking shop. The name though tended to suggest otherwise, since it would have been 'Mrs Smiths' as a house of ill repute. Or perhaps that was the cunning ruse to allay the suspicions of the local law enforcement?

Archived