Westbridge - OO BR Blue 1970s Western Region Terminus

AlexRaybould

Hi, 

A bit of diversion from the layout but this morning I went down to my local station, Cheltenham Spa, to see The Devon Explorer Pathfinder Tour hauled by double headed DRS 37s (37 605/37 059). These were the first DRS 37s I had seen through Cheltenham and it was definitely worth going to see! Here are some photos and a YouTube video of the tour at Cheltenham. Enjoy!

post-24270-0-42974800-1429956842.jpg

post-24270-0-30353300-1429957061.jpg

Thanks 

Alex

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I must only echo what everyone has said your layout looks fantastic and its a nice change for one of our younger modellers to model a great period keep up the good work as I'll be following with great interest.

cheers

Colin (covguard)

Edited by Cov Guard
  • Like 2

Hi all, 

Good News! I should have my baseboard for the extension sometime next week and I have bought all of the track I need. This means I have completed my track plan so that I'm sure of where everything is going on the extension. There may be some minor changes to the scenery on the plans below.This means there will be more regular updates with the progress on the extension with the free time I have in between revision for my exams. 

Final Track Plan

post-24270-0-80008500-1430428628_thumb.jpg

Here is an image of the 7ft scenic section. I have simulated the stock I can fit on the layout but it would never be as busy as this on the layout!

post-24270-0-53341700-1430428640_thumb.jpg

Here is an image of the 3ft extension board. At the top of the plan I have included a permanent way depot which includes space for new materials such as ballast, sleepers, signalling and cable trunking etc. Also included in the depot is a non working covered transfer crane so that sections of rail can be transported between road and rail (bolster wagons) and also be stored under the corrugated metal cover or shed. Including a permanent way depot means I might require additional stock which could include Dapol or Parkside Dundas Grampus, Cambrian Dogfish, Cambrian Starfish or Flangeway Mermaids. Any ideas or advice on wagons I could include in a permanent way depot would be appreciated!

Thanks 

Alex

• Like 6

. . . . I might require additional stock which could include Dapol or Parkside Dundas Grampus, Cambrian Dogfish, Cambrian Starfish or Flangeway Mermaids. Any ideas or advice on wagons I could include in a permanent way depot would be appreciated! . . .

For starters I highly recommend the Dapol Grampus wagons; I have some and they are terrific models. The Cambrian Kits bogie bolsters are also really good models - I believe a few were built in Hornby Mag a short while back . . . .

• RMweb Gold

What a great layout. Amazing job.

If you want to start making kit built wagons you can't go wrong with a Parkside Dundas Grampus. Fantastic little kit and includes the wheels and brass bearings. The Cambrian kits are great, but require a little bit more patience, plus the need to buy wheels and bearings.

Looking forward to seeing the extension to this layout.

• RMweb Gold

Looking great Alex.

I'd agree about the comments about the Parkside Kits. The Grampus is very good and relatively straightforward to assemble. I built some of the older ones may years ago and drilled out the hand holes in the end planks, but these have since been moulded on the newer versions of the kit. There was a great article in Railway Modeller October 1987, which is worth reading if you can get a copy.

The Cambrian kits are very good, but can be tricky to assemble. I made some Mermaids a while ago and do look good when done. These were often run with Dogfish wagon (also Cambrian) to give "MerDogs". So, Mermaids discharge ballast on the sides and the Dogfish down the centre.

You can also add a Shark brake van, either Cambrian kit or Hornby.

Edited by mudmagnet

• RMweb Gold

I can also agree the parkside kits are very easy to put together just make sure you have a flat surface to work on I've got a load of VEA's to build as soon as I've completed the wiring on Ashbridge.

Edited by Cov Guard

• RMweb Gold

Agree with needing a flat surface, especially to keep the chassis square. I use a sheet of glass from an old cheap picture frame for this purpose.

• Like 1

Hi all, 

Thanks for all of the replies on wagons for the PW yard!

I am currently thinking of going with 2 dogfish (Cambrian), 2 Mermaid (Flangeway or Cambrian), 3 grampus (Parkside Dundas) and a shark brake van (Cambrian or Hornby repaint). Obviously the dogfish and mermaids will be used for ballast and I am thinking of using the Grampus for carrying materials such as sleepers, signalling and cable trunking as the PW yard has space for these. 

Thanks 

Alex

Edited by AlexRaybould
  • Like 5

• 3 months later...

This weekend Westbridge is attending the Ross on Wye model railway exhibition at John Kyrle High School.

If you are local to the area make sure you attend!

The address of the school is 

John Kyrle High School, Ledbury Road, Ross On Wye, Herefordshire HR9 7ET

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Regarding the track plan for the extension of your excellent layout, I think you should have kept the 2 long sidings behind the station as they were and just removed the points at the far end of the run round loop, turning them into carriage sidings.

Anyway, keep up the good work!

Sam 

Hi Everyone, 

Apologies for a lack of updates since August!. Various things have been getting in the way such as A-levels and volunteering on the Gloucestershire Warwickshire Railway but I have been able to get some smaller jobs started in that time. Since I last posted, Westbridge attended the Ross on Wye Model Railway Exhibition. This was a really nice show that I enjoyed and the layout performed faultlessly during both days despite not being operated for quite a while. Here are some photos that I took during the show. 

post-24270-0-12936100-1453750846.jpg

post-24270-0-01974700-1453750848.jpg

post-24270-0-28143700-1453750851.jpg

Any new updates on your p-way wagons??

cheers neil.

Thanks for the question Neil 

I managed to get hold of a Hornby Shark from Ebay and got a Bachmann pipe wagon, 12t vent van and sand wagon in departmental green for Christmas. I am hoping to use these as a Signal and Telegraph rake. At some point I might purchase a Bachmann sealion or a few Flangeway Mermaids to accompany the shark brake van. 

post-24270-0-31939300-1453749627.jpg

post-24270-0-40395600-1453749640.jpg

post-24270-0-18601100-1453749651.jpg

post-24270-0-34148000-1453749663.jpg

post-24270-0-32420000-1453749252.jpg

Another Christmas present I got was a Bachmann mk1 BCK. This will allow me to now run two rakes of mk1 passenger stock as well as my 101 DMU. 

post-24270-0-70380600-1453748962.jpg

I also managed to get an limited edition Invicta CCT which is a fantastic model and finishes off my collection of parcels stock. 

post-24270-0-14664600-1453748746.jpg

I also managed to pick up a Bachmann class 45 body shell for a bargain price of £8!!! This is currently on my Bachmann class 44 chassis.

Regarding the track plan for the extension of your excellent layout, I think you should have kept the 2 long sidings behind the station as they were and just removed the points at the far end of the run round loop, turning them into carriage sidings.

Anyway, keep up the good work!

Sam 

Thanks Sam. The track plan will be staying as it is as I have already started track laying for the new board. I have started by ripping up some track which will be relaid with copper clad sleepers over the baseboard join. I have also dismantled the platform as my coaching stock wouldn't fit around it. This will hopefully be rebuilt soon. 

post-24270-0-79779000-1453752527.jpg

post-24270-0-50596500-1453752626.jpg

post-24270-0-84501100-1453752713.jpg

post-24270-0-80388600-1453752309.jpg

I have also had a go at making a Ratio 460 GWR Home signal as signalling is one of those projects that needs to be done properly. I have made it so that it operates but I will have to find a way of making it move with a servo under the baseboard. 

Thanks and I hope you have enjoyed the update. Feel free to comment as I always find your opinions helpful to make improvements !

Alex

• Like 7

• 2 months later...