The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

adblock

raymw

• RMweb Premium

It's not just adblock though. I turned off Noscript to see what would happen: **** knows how many 3rd party javascript calls are being made, and if I turn off Ghostery as well, it's just insane. To top it all off, if I keep NoScript and Ghostery fully on for the site, I can still comfortably read and understand what's there, so there is absolutely no need for the tonnes of extra crap involved in downloading and processing the page (which takes a good few seconds when it's all allowed to flow in).

• RMweb Premium

Ultimately complaints about Adblock are pointless - nothing is gained by showing adverts to people who are annoyed enough by them to try to block them. The site with the advert may complain about loss of revenue but they're ultimately taking money from whatever is being advertised that'll never go back so it seems like a hypocritical complaint.

I have a decent hosts file and a browser that doesn't ignore it. I can't remember the last time I saw an unwanted advert, probably about 15 years ago.

This morning Opera's built in malware filter (which seems to be supplied by AVG) is reporting RMWeb as a malicious site though - never seen that before and can't find any way to turn it off.

• RMweb Gold

There are certain sites that will not let you use the complete functionality unless you turn off Adblock - ITV Player is one - I didn't really want to watch the ePrix!

Yes, weather-forecaster lachainemeteo.com objects to my using Adblock, puts up a splash page obscuring the details, pleading with me to exempt their site. So I use meteofrance.com, which doesn't.

• RMweb Gold

This morning Opera's built in malware filter (which seems to be supplied by AVG) is reporting RMWeb as a malicious site though - never seen that before and can't find any way to turn it off.

You will need to PM Andy and ask if he will shut the site down - however I think blog world will complain as they won't have any material to use - even though apparently they hate this site and all the users of it

Oh, sorry, you mean the warning ...

Archived