The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

The Which Way Round to Park the Car Thread

edcayton

• RMweb Gold

At the local supermarkets I usually go in nose first, but the car parks are usually empty enough that there is no one in the row in front, so I can go out forwards.  Most times there is a wide space each side as well because people usually park in alternate spaces.

At home I go into the garage nose first, but if I'm just leaving the car on the drive for a short while during the day I go in backwards.  I do live on a very quiet cul de sac - usually a car going by is something worthy of note.

David

That's a no-brainer, right? Emergency vehicles ALWAYS have priority if using too's and bloo's :yes: And IIRC the Highway Code allows other road users to commit minor traffic offences (like crossing the stop line) to make room for these emergency vehicles. I have yet to find a traffic officer that'll write you a ticket for making room for an emergency vehicle clearly on its way to an emergency :rolleyes: (in fact, they'll be too busy getting to that incident themselves ;) )

Sadly for the moralists, that is not the case.

The emergency vehicle driver has no more 'rights' over anyone else, than you or I.

In fact, they are more overburdened with 'duties' than you or I.....

I have found, by experience and observation, that the biggest problem faced by an emergency [or, non-emergency] vehicle driver is the over-reaction [read, panic?] by the vast majority of motorists...{IE  those who haven't actually bothered to view the  video, etc..to improve their standards of driving once the passed their test?}......to the presence, near or far, behind or in front ..to a blue light.

Not only is that a problem to the emergency vehicle driver, it also presents a severe problem to other drivers who are responding correctly.

I often observe drivers, intent on 'allowing the emergency vehicle to pass'....actually causing that  emergency vehicle to almost, if indeed actually, come to a halt...in order to pass.

Beware, fellow chaps/chapesses.....of the blue light coming the other way....the car in front is almost guaranteed to stand on its brakes, and make a nose-dive into the grass verge.....and when one [in all innocence, of course ]...pulls around them to continue, one is glared at intently!!!

I'm sure the emergency vehicle driver would prefer to make progress at 40 mph.....rather than being forced to a halt because someone has pulled  to a stop to let them overtake?

But, sadly on the roads..and elsewhere it seems, we live in a world where bullsh#te and urban myth are the new truths, and the new facts?

As a vocational driver, LGV category C level, I can reverse a truck with no problems.

I live on a hill which has a one-way street running down it, I can reverse park my car with no problems.

When I spend the weekend at my mum's, I nose drive first onto the drive way  which means I have to reverse onto the road.

Can I reverse park my car in a level car park?

Can I 'eck!!  :)

• RMweb Gold

As a vocational driver, LGV category C level, I can reverse a truck with no problems.

I live on a hill which has a one-way street running down it, I can reverse park my car with no problems.

When I spend the weekend at my mum's, I nose drive first onto the drive way  which means I have to reverse onto the road.

Perhaps you just need to select the space no one else wants because it is too awkward?  You just need a challenge.  :jester:

there was a time I spent more time driving LWB transit mini busses than anything else, could parallel park them in a space 3ft longer than the bus, except the one without power steering, could do that with 2ft! 

Could I get my mk1 fiesta in a similar space? not a chance - the only reason I could find was no left door mirror!

• RMweb Premium

there was a time I spent more time driving LWB transit mini busses than anything else, could parallel park them in a space 3ft longer than the bus, except the one without power steering, could do that with 2ft! 

Could I get my mk1 fiesta in a similar space? not a chance - the only reason I could find was no left door mirror!

I have on some occasions driven a Transit 17 seater and I can usually slot it into some very tight spaces. My car is a Hyundai i10 that I have had for seven years and I still have difficulties reversing it despite having mirrors on both doors. I put it down to the fact that the waistline of the car sweeps up at the back up to the roof and the curves on the rear quarters render the lower rear of the car invisible from the drivers seat.

• RMweb Premium

I have on some occasions driven a Transit 17 seater and I can usually slot it into some very tight spaces. My car is a Hyundai i10 that I have had for seven years and I still have difficulties reversing it despite having mirrors on both doors. I put it down to the fact that the waistline of the car sweeps up at the back up to the roof and the curves on the rear quarters render the lower rear of the car invisible from the drivers seat.

Thus leading to the current cry of fitting rear view cameras, to new cars.

• RMweb Gold

I still prefer proper wing mirrors rather than the current trend of door mirrors.

??!

I always found wing mirrors pretty useless. Making the mirror smaller and further away doesn't improve the field of view.

Thus leading to the current cry of fitting rear view cameras, to new cars.

Having recently rented a car with an automatic rear view camera displayed anytime the vehicle is in reverse, I have to say they are an awesome gadget. 

No defence of rising waistline on the original Fiesta! 

I struggle now for two reasons, first car we've had with mirrors that are slightly convex but mainly I'm on 2 wheels these days only driving the car occasionally.

Archived