Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Must admit I've never heard of pva ballast mix corroding copper clad.Your track laying jez leaves mine for dead.

Thanks Alan. It's been a long process so far with the track and still plenty more to go. Once the station throat is finished, I still have the station train shed area to do, which thankfully has no turnouts! It's all about creating the right atmosphere of the area or prototype modelled, and I must admit, you have certainly created the right atmosphere with your wonderful Kingsbridge Regis layout.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Edited by cornish trains jez

If you use PVA with ballast and don't wait for it to dry before you try to run trains, the copper will react and turn the ballast green because electricity is flowing through it. If you wait for the ballast/PVA mix to dry, then no problem. Guess how I found out ;)

Never used latex before. Does it shrink once dry?

Jez

I don't think so, I have used closed cell foam so a flexible glue was required. To stick the foam down I coated both the foam and board, when dry used as a contact adhesive. For sticking track to foam neat. Ballast diluted with a dropper.

No issues but I clean up the edges with a sharp blade first then roll up the excess into a ball. you must cut it first as it goes stringy. Not had any issues drilling through, some report glue going round the drill bit

Good evening,

Well I've finally finished the 3 way turnout. It's been a bit of a nightmare to be honest (being on a slight curve too) but I think I've nailed it now! The middle crossing proved to be a bit of a pain to build as its not a staight forward angle so no jig available. In the end I drew a simple plan of the crossing on the baseboard and then built all the parts separately fixing them into position using the plastic chairs. The rest of the components of the turnout were measured, trimmed, filed and then fixed into position.

The test wagon runs nicely through so quite happy now.

Anyway, here are a couple of photos.

post-10222-0-95996600-1453064673_thumb.jpeg

post-10222-0-57140600-1453064706_thumb.jpeg

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 11

Jeremy

Beautiful work as usual but your missing a couple of check-rails on the 3-way.

Following this with great interest as I think my next project is going to be in 2mm.

Mike

Cheers Mike. You are right there are a couple missing. I'll add them in tomorrow.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Hi John, yes you can use code 40 for N so long as the wheel profiles are the newer RP25. Track gauges are not available to fit code 40 rail though (the head is narrower). What I did on BoT is run the plain track at 2mm ass. 9.42mm gauge and narrow the points down to 8.85mm with 0.8mm flangeways. I made my own gauge for that portion of the job using some 9mm wide flat brass.

Good evening,

A bit more progress on the sleeper laying tonight. Not the most interesting of updates but shows some progress. I really am starting to feel like I am halfway there now with the track laying on this board.

I need to tweak the templot plan slightly and relay a small section of the plan before continuing track laying at the bridge end of the station throat. I stumbled across a photo today showing that the lines curve a little more as they dissappear under the bridge. Nothing too drastic but I would like to get it looking right.

Here's some photos.

post-10222-0-02505100-1453244813_thumb.jpeg

post-10222-0-07211400-1453244845_thumb.jpeg

post-10222-0-47359200-1453244873_thumb.jpeg

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 6

Did you not do your templot from Google maps? If so it should have been curving perfectly already.

Anyhoo, track looking superb as we all keep telling you!

I did do it from google but I think I had the tracks too close so I need to tweak slightly to make it work and be able to get the bridge support in as well. It should all fit on a sheet of very thin A4 so I can overlay the current plan. I had to use a bit of initiative with the google earrth version as the layout is quite different now from that of the 80's.

Edited by cornish trains jez

Coming on great Jez,

unfortunately 'Holmes Yard' has stalled at the moment due to house renovations

Graham

Thanks Graham. Lincoln is a place very close to my heart as I used to live just outside Lincoln for many years. Good luck with the house renovations! Does it include a newly renovated railway room?!?

Thanks Graham. Lincoln is a place very close to my heart as I used to live just outside Lincoln for many years. Good luck with the house renovations! Does it include a newly renovated railway room?!?

Hi Jez

no unfortunately it doesn't, living room and dining room , finished piping new radiators last week next job a new wooden floor.

• Like 1