Don't commit yourself, even tentatively, to anything until you've got this project out of the way!

After a magnum opus of this nature you might well find the most minor branch line terminus suddenly has a lot of appeal!

I couldn't cope with two large layouts anyway. I'm really enjoying building Euston and can't wait to get some trains running soon.

Totally agree though, I'll probably just want a branch line terminus after this........or just a shunting plank or something!

• RMweb Premium

Yep, Rugby would be my choice too. It also allows me to use the EMU's from Euston, apart from the 313's. I had also considered Bletchley as there is the stone loading plant there which would add some interest.

It's all those junctions to the south of the station.  I'd love to do a layout with flying and burrowing junctions with the ability to run long trains, unfortunately for Trent Junction in 7mm I'd need an industrial unit.  Wait a minute I've just bought a 400 sq m shed in France that happens to have a house included on the same plot.

Jamie

• Like 3

It's all those junctions to the south of the station.  I'd love to do a layout with flying and burrowing junctions with the ability to run long trains, unfortunately for Trent Junction in 7mm I'd need an industrial unit.  Wait a minute I've just bought a 400 sq m shed in France that happens to have a house included on the same plot.

Jamie

Nice one! You'd better start putting some plans together then for the next layout!

Anyway, back to Euston, and here's some common crossings that I put together a couple of nights ago. I would have made more but my first attempt wasn't quite to my liking so I made an attempt to rectify it with the soldering iron "freehand".....which taught me a valuable lesson.....always use a jig for rectiying errors, or start again.

So once the toys were suitably thrown out of the pram and a handful of "soundalike" rude words were shouted (toddler nearby so had to be careful on the language!), these two chaps were produced.

post-10222-0-58479700-1459449741_thumb.jpeg

Just two more to make and then I'll start on the next section of turnouts.

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 9

Anyway, back to Euston, and here's some common crossings that I put together a couple of nights ago. I would have made more but my first attempt wasn't quite to my liking so I made an attempt to rectify it with the soldering iron "freehand".....which taught me a valuable lesson.....always use a jig for rectiying errors, or start again.

So once the toys were suitably thrown out of the pram and a handful of "soundalike" rude words were shouted (toddler nearby so had to be careful on the language!), these two chaps were produced.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Just two more to make and then I'll start on the next section of turnouts.

Best regards,

Jeremy

What's a turnout? On the 12in:1ft railway we call them "points" ;-)

lots of love

• RMweb Premium

This project has been absolutely inspirational to me.

I have been dabbling in 2mm FS for a good few years, off and on, and have nothing bar a couple of lengths of Easitrack and 1 half completed turnout (set of points).

But seeing this develop over the last few months has pushed me to get a move on with my own efforts.

Several evenings cursing Templot, and I now have most of a track plan for Paisley St James as it was in 1912. Unfortunately the photos from 1948 from Britain from Above show that an extra siding has crept in somewhere. Curses!!

The track plan has been printed, and the result stuck to a piece of ply to see just how large it is. I have managed to get the main concentration of pointwork on one 4'x2' sheet, and the plan is to dig out the only baseboard frame that I got close to completion and after a raid on the local B & Q (other brands are available) for some cork tles and other DIY Odds & Sods which  will sneak in as necessary for hopusehold repairs, I will be on my way.

The only fly in the ointment is that my 2 MM scale Ass. membership has just lapsed.

I had better get on and do something about that before things become critical.

Once again, many thanks for the inspiration and best wishes to you.

Best Regards

Ian

• Like 2

This project has been absolutely inspirational to me.

I have been dabbling in 2mm FS for a good few years, off and on, and have nothing bar a couple of lengths of Easitrack and 1 half completed turnout (set of points).

But seeing this develop over the last few months has pushed me to get a move on with my own efforts.

Several evenings cursing Templot, and I now have most of a track plan for Paisley St James as it was in 1912. Unfortunately the photos from 1948 from Britain from Above show that an extra siding has crept in somewhere. Curses!!

The track plan has been printed, and the result stuck to a piece of ply to see just how large it is. I have managed to get the main concentration of pointwork on one 4'x2' sheet, and the plan is to dig out the only baseboard frame that I got close to completion and after a raid on the local B & Q (other brands are available) for some cork tles and other DIY Odds & Sods which  will sneak in as necessary for hopusehold repairs, I will be on my way.

The only fly in the ointment is that my 2 MM scale Ass. membership has just lapsed.

I had better get on and do something about that before things become critical.

Once again, many thanks for the inspiration and best wishes to you.

Best Regards

Ian

Hi Ian,

Thank you for your post and your interest in my layout. Glad it has inspired you to press on with your own project.

I think sometimes, you just need that little bit of inspiration to push you into starting a project.

Good luck with the layout and remember to start a thread so we can all follow your progress.

Best regards,

Jeremy

They do. Tempted to wire up a small section real quick and have a go at playing trains!

Go for it!! It'll be what you need to break up all the great work you are doing! After all a taste of what your working towards won't harm!

Great work mate,

John

• Like 1

Cheers guys! Think I may wire up the two lines into platforms 1 and 2 and just run the 86's up and down and over the cross over. Maybe a little job for next week! Will also be a good test for the turnout building.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Edited by cornish trains jez
  • Like 1

Cheers guys! Think I may wire up the two lines into platforms 1 and 2 and just run the 86's up and down and over the cross over. Maybe a little job for next week! Will also be a good test for the turnout building.

Best regards,

Jeremy

More or less what I am planning  to do with Thistle Foxham. You may well beat me to being the first to get a train running as I have had no time at all for modelling this week. This sort of thing is great for morale!

• RMweb Premium

I doubt it. I've got to get some more trackwork to get finished before and I also need to get out and buy some wire for the bus wires. I've got plenty for the droppers though.

I found using the solid copper earth cable from ring mains cable makes a excellent bus wire

• RMweb Premium

I have used solid earth wire from recycled mains cable, soldered to brass screws. It works well, but you need a meaty soldering iron to fix it. On my latest layout I have used self adhesive copper tape. It is much easier to use and solder to, but takes up a lot of space. Also, if you attach wires too near the ends, it will peal off the baseboard.

I too use copper tape. It's great as it allows easy additions to the bus later. However you are right it does peel off if you solder too near the end, what I do is tape over the ends or add a terminal block instead glued or screwed to the board and a wire soldered to the end of the copper tape and screwed into the block. No stress in the area then!

Hi Jeremy,

Please forgive the really naive question....

I'm just starting to experiment with some turnout kits and handbuilt track - nothing on this amazing scale! 

I am struggling with the lack of fishplates - I understand that most handbuilt or finescale track is simply butted up against the next section with no physical join. As each section is wired up there are no power-transfer issues. While I can see how you can do this in EM for instance, the tolerances for accuracy in 2mm scale must be tiny. Do you simply reply on having the sleepers and chairs very accurately stuck down and they simply hold the rails in alignment, are there any problems with rails "un-flexing" and leaving kinks between lengths of track?

I have some code 40 rail, and as the profile is so tiny, getting the cut ends of the rails flat is remarkably difficult - they just don't seem to butt together cleanly.

In the past I have occasionally struggled to get proprietary flex track to stay aligned even with fishplates joining the rails to the next section, so I am a little apprehensive of having joins between sections of track with no physical link!

How are you finding this on your layout? Is this a bit of a non-issue really, or is it one of those things which sounds simple, but is actually vital to get right?

Cheers

(sorry this is a lot longer than I planned!)

David

• Like 1